cover your off road lights on the street.

dave

Reaction
Just wanted to give you all a heads up. I got pulled over ( CHP ) on my way out to the desert for the Fud
race on new years . Well the cop said he pulled me over for not having light covers on my off road lights.
I told him I have had them off for years and I had no idea it was that big of a deal. I didn't even have them on .... just not covered . Any way to make a long story short I found out that the fine for this is not
your standard fix it but a $83.00 fine !!!!! "No , If's and's or but's. I think the VC # he put on the ticket was 24111 . So just a FYI . Don't let them get your $$$ or give them a reason to pull you over.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Thanks Dave for the heads up. Looks like I'll be heading over to ORW to buy some new light covers as I lost mine!

See ya in the dirt!

Racing5150Guy

Reaction
I GOT ONE IN DOWNTOWN SAN DIEGO AND IT WAS ONLY 10 BUCKS. MAN YOU GOT SCREWED. THE COPS IN RAMONA DIDNT EVEN CARE IF I FIXED IT. THEY JUST SIGNED IT OFF.

Jordan

Reaction
I am going to be going with a removeable light bar so that this never happens. Also, no need to run those lights unless I need them..less stuff for people to steal too!

Brian Mapes

Reaction
What about if you have lights just behind your cab that stick up above the cab and they fold down. Like the attatchment. If they fold backwards and are out of the way and you dont have covers do you think they will give you tickets?

What should I put here?

Attachments

• 24-43147-readerzp285n5.jpg
    24-43147-readerzp285n5.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 238

dave

Reaction
Ramona ! Thats the court house I am dealing with...... I called them and I asked " Are you sure that it's not just
a Fix it ? " She said "no" I don't remeber what she called it, but she even said that seems high for just not have some lights covered. Oh well . It's not the first Time I have been stopped for lame stuff, and it won't be my last . Just don't let them get you guys.

dave

Reaction
They have laws for that to . Hold on I have that info around here somewhere let me fine it and I'll post it.

dave

Reaction
I gave the wrong VC # it is 24411
24411. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle may be
equipped with not more than eight lamps for use as headlamps while
the vehicle is operated or driven off the highway. The lamps shall
be mounted at a height of not less than 16 inches from the ground, or
more than 12 inches above the top of the passenger compartment, at
any place between the front of the vehicle and a line lying on a
point 40 inches to the rear of the seat occupied by the driver, shall
be wired independently of all other lighting circuits, and, whenever
the vehicle is operated or driven upon a highway, shall be covered
or hooded with an opaque hood or cover, and turned off.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
That should be a fixit ticket unless he checked in the box that its not fixit....look on the ticket and right next to the violation there are boxes for "Correctable Violation" if he checked yes then its a fixit ticket, if no they you have to pay the fine. But getting it signed off will reduce the fine.

Its kinda lame that the cops can just check the boxes if they feel like making you pay or not.

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Hey that truck looks familar lol. Thats how my brother made my light bar, it is made so that when i'm not using it, it will swing down so its lower then the roof, shouldn't be an issue with cops.

Race-Dezert Anonymous - Step #1:
"Hello, my name is Jason. And I'm a Race-Dezertaholic."

Bonzen

Reaction
I've heard form a lot of san Diego cops that you can have off road lights uncovered as long as theyre off of course, and at or below the level of your stock head lights....this way they are set to the legal level of your stock headlights, making them legal auxillary lights or fog lights. I run 2 big PIAA fog lights all the time in bad weather, and those things are friggin bright. They never have covers on them. I have a PIAA pencil beam also that is mounted at the same level, and it's never covered either. But, any cop on any given day can be a bitch and write you up for anything...like one time I had superwhite bulbs in my corner lamps....and they looked kinda blue and i got a ticket for impersonating an officer..cuz they are the only ones allowed to run blue lights...lame.

-Ryan

bonzenproductions.com

martininsocal

Reaction
This is a pet peave of some guys who are intimate with the Vehicle Code. There are other provisions in the CVC that state whether the lights can even be wired for operation while the vehicle is operated on the street. I believe you are allowed to have no more than 2 accessory lights facing forward and 1 facing rearward uncovered while operating on the street. You can have no more than 8 total and no more than 4 above 40"s from ground level. There used to be a cop who stopped everyone who had 5 lights on their roll bar up in Santa Cruz when I lived up there. The only exception to any of the above is factory mounted fog lights. I say take the chance in court and see what the judge does, at worst you pay the already existing fine and the possibility of having it reduced are probably pretty good.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Clifford

Reaction
It's not just lights you have to worry about. It's tinted windows, exhaust, among many other new and uncorrecttable violations. Who do we have to blame for all of this, the import racers.

In the last few years many of our law makers have changed what used to be a mechanical violation into a fine and point on your record. The officer does not have the leisure of checking the box as he wishes. It's all pre-determined by the vehicle code section used.

CHP will always be the worst when it comes to citations. If ever a CHP officer warns you and does not write you a citation, I suggest you buy a lottery ticket.

I received a citation from a concerned CHP officer about a year ago for my tinted windows. With luck, he used the previous vehicle code section which allowed it to be corrected. Needless to say, it never left my windows and I paid the $10.00 to the court.

My advice to all of you is to be very, very nice to your local cops and they may even help you out in a pinch.

TrucksR4Girls

Reaction
Too bad my "uncle" is a CHP past ontario, he can sign off tickets for me and my friends, and I wont even have to pay and If i get pulled over for speeding or anything they will call him and he "deals with it" himself, he does it for some of my friends too, but he lives kinda far.

<font color=red> You dont need a patch on your arm to have pride </font color=red>

jeff

Reaction
I fought a ticket like this (and many others) when I was living in Tahoe. I searched and searched and as of 2000 this was all legit info. If new laws have been put in place, some or all of this might not be accurate.

Any light mounted above 42" inches is considered an "off-road" light. Any light mounted under 42" is considered an "auxiliary" or "driving" light. What you need to do is look up vehicle code 24402. As long as you can show evidence that your lights are indeed "auxiliary" and not "off-road" the lights do NOT need to be covered. Keep in mind that you can only have TWO auxiliary lights. If you have more than that uncovered you might be out of luck. There also isn't anything that says you have to cover an "auxiliary" light that is over a specific wattage. Only your primary lights must remain at or below legal limit. You could have two uncovered 10,000 watt 20" lights on the front of your truck and nothing would be illegal about it... assuming it could not be illuminated with the high beams on. That's key too, your "auxiliary" lights can only be used in conjunction with your low beams. If you run your highs and your "auxiliary" lights at the same time it's illegal. The DOT doesn't have any specifications or regulations as to recommended wattage for auxiliary driving lamps, so take that AMMO to court and get the ticket thrown out. Also, when I fought my ticket, the CHP had nothing in their books that stated they have a regulation regarding light requirements in their books. CHP can make up whatever they want but it's only legit if it's been approved and is somewhere in writing before you are cited for it.

It's a total BS ticket if in fact you're lights are mounted below 42" inches. If they are at 42 inches and you don't mind bending the rules, let the air out of your tires or borrow some smaller ones. If the cop did NOT measure your lamps at the time you were cited BE SURE TO TELL THE JUDGE THAT! It's obvious the cop does NOT know the law if he's out writing this ticket to people with lights mounted at or below 42" inches. Any Judge worth a damn will have enough sense to dismiss this case. If you are legit, and lose, appeal it. Some of the smaller courts have Judges that just have no vehicle code sense whatsoever.

I've fought 17 of my own tickets and have only lost 3. Do your homework, let the law be your guide, and don't let those bastards win. Somewhere I have my tickets and related court paperwork, just not sure where. If you take a decision passed by another court located in California you have a 99% chance that the court you are in will make the same decision based on prior judgements. If you can find someone that fought this ticket and have the ruling number, TAKE THAT INFO TO COURT! If you can get a Judge to drop a ticket for going 135mph on the 241 you can do almost anything.

Aloha

cleartoy

Reaction
I got the same ticket last weekend in Ocotillo Wells! I just went from Pole Line Road to Wolf Well Road and got naiiled!

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

martininsocal

Reaction
clear toy- The local cop in Borrego(this was a few years ago) was a closet green who hated offroaders because of all the "damage" they do to the environment. I don't know if that guy is still around there, but I think he used to be a local resident. He used to hassle me in my fiberglass Dunebuggy everytime I went through town..."turn signals, windshield wiper, proper VIN, etc..." AND MY CAR WAS TOTALLY LEGAL!!! To help yourself in these situations, just totally show respect at the time of the ticket and maybe you will get a warning. If you don't pass the attitude test, you might be eligible for the multi-page citation.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

cleartoy

Reaction
Martin, this is the same cop that pulled me over by Split Mtn\78 a month ago for no front plate. Whats up with that?

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??