Crandon 2021 Wrap / COR 2021 Season Wrap

stephenrjking

Reaction
The Event

I'll be honest: Two years ago the 50th was getting all kinds of hype, and deservedly so... but there was a voice suggesting that it was also kind of a swansong. TORC had dissolved a couple of years earlier and the Lucas Oil experiment in the Midwest was winding down. It was a look back, and part of me wondered if that was the only direction to look.

Nevermind. The momentum from the 50th has continued in full force. It is a destination event that keeps drawing drivers from around the off road world, even guys who have never driven this kind of racing before, and gives fans a massive show over an increasingly crowded three days of action. Crandon has, to my understanding, always been a great traditional event, but it seems to be growing every year, and it's a great sign for the track and the sport.

The logo branding has grown on me. The odd sponsorship juxtoposition with Lucas Oil sponsoring the track and Amsoil sponsoring the series... seems to work out ok. Holding a different and unique race to cap each day (class 11 Friday, Ultra4 Saturday, and the Cup race Sunday) gives each day a special and unique feel. It really is a festival for the sport.

I wasn't kidding when I said that college football is my first sport. It takes a LOT to pull me away from the first Saturday of the year. Crandon is a LOT, and at no time the entire weekend did I ever second-guess the choice.

Crandon is a great event, and a marvelous commercial for how great the sport is. When outsiders look at it, they see a sport that people care about, a sport that is worth watching. It's wonderful.

The Racing (and there was a lot of it)

At some point they're going to run out of time to hold the races. The racing was scheduled to start at 9 on Saturday, which is, I believe, an hour earlier than last year, and the last race wound up starting at about 8:55 (only 10 minutes behind schedule, not bad after a full day with rain in the forecast). Using Friday as a full competition day after the parade is obviously crucial, and it worked out. While the Ultra4 races do go later than I'd like now (My family made it home to Duluth at 2am, and we were back up at 7), it was clearly a good choice to hold 3 separate class races consecutively. Even with truck counts a bit below the stated expectations, there were a lot of cars out there, and they needed the space.

And the Ultra4 races really are a great feature of the schedule. An awesome nightcap. I went out to the off road park (the "Rigid Ridge") again and it's outstanding. I was glad to have the screen this year. It's impressive how many people pack in there, especially for the 4400 race. The rock section on the short course is a great addition, btw.

It really is astonishing how big the Pro Truck fields are. Seeing 20ish trucks tearing through turn one after the start remains spectacular. The on-track action this year wasn't the best of the series this year (no knock, the racing has been great this season) but it was enjoyable and Brent and Cheyne did a great job setting up the late-lap drama in Pro-2 after Brooks crashed out, turning a race that featured little passing in the front positions late into a gripping drama. Keegan's roof-pounding celebration down the track felt right.

Pro-4 had a number of surprises that outweighed the rather conventional races. Bryce Menzies made it through the whole weekend for the first time in a couple of years, but unfortunately didn't factor much in the results. But Johnny Greaves has somehow found another gear in the last few races, running at the front all weekend. Kyle Leduc's rotten Crandon luck, on the other hand, has continued apace, and he barely got to do anything at all. The last guy I'd expect to become a hard-luck underdog story at Crandon, but... there it is.

In the end, Keegan took the Cup, in kind of the race that people thought might happen in the 50th, checking out and letting the large (though limited, how crazy is it that they have to cap the number of trucks now? Awesome) Pro-2 field run interference for him. The Cup races are always a bit weird from an event perspective, but they're fun and the pursuit nature does a good job of building up and paying off excitement even when there doesn't wind up being a pass for the lead.

The Good and Bad

Opening with a significant positive: I can't tell you how welcoming and helpful people at the track or series are, both in general and to me, personally. Bailey Cole let my kids sit in his truck, handmethemic and sb4pro have both been personally friendly, and Marty in particular has been generous beyond anything I could deserve. My family and I are grateful.

There are some challenges with hosting a large event that are... just challenges of hosting a large event. Some of the more frustrating aspects of the time we spent at the track, like some drunk fans, are byproducts of having a large group of people in one place. I do wish we had been allowed to bring in the single sealed water bottle some tracks allow, but whatever. I appreciate not being gouged for parking especially since many people have to park on multiple days. Everyone in the family enjoyed the vendor area, which was packed again after a lighter season last year.

I do wonder, if the event continues to attract people from "outside the family," if at some point the track may need to consider some crowd control volunteers just to keep an eye on stuff, the way they do at stadiums. I didn't perceive any problems (the only weird thing that happened to us was some drunk guy tried to take a picture of my daughter for some reason) but all it takes is one or two people that decide they're going to make an issue of something and it gets less pleasant. Not urgent, but experience tells me that staying ahead of issues is a good idea. The family-friendly nature of attending is important.

Pit and driver access remains the strength of the sport. One area where it's not always easy to keep track of things is the scheduled autograph times. There was, I think, one mention by Brent late in a scheduled autograph window for Travis Pastrana, but I think it might actually be a good idea to invite vendors that have scheduled events to submit that information so that the booth can announce that stuff ahead of time, during downtime between races.

One significant negative: I think having a separate, non-series event on Sunday has been vital to the weekend and to the sport and it should continue. But in some ways Crandon is producing an entire sporting series in a single day, so it's understandable that some things are hard to nail down. Right now, I, as an engaged fan, do not know where I can find detailed results of the Sunday races. And, while I assume there was a challenge somewhere in the process with negotiating carriage rights and such (like, whether Red Bull TV would air a stream) in the end the livestream was not promoted and not announced prior to Sunday morning, and that hurt viewership significantly. I was hoping to buzz Jalopnik and try to get them to include both days of racing on their "what to watch in motorsports this weekend" feature and did not have a solid link to Sunday's racing. The actual stream was pretty good, and Ken Stout is an announcer alongside Shaheen that short course fans know understands the sport. I just wish I had known where to find it.

Final Verdict:
Crandon is awesome. I hope the trucks keep coming. I know the people will.

Special: Season series wrap

I'd be remiss not to say that there's a very bittersweet aspect to the conclusion of the season on the final day. We won't get to see the racing again for quite a while, and the nature of the last weekend of Crandon means that some stories can get lost in the shuffle. But this is the conclusion of the second COR season, and it merits a write-up.

The Series: I love what COR is doing with the series. The social media promotion is excellent, I have high hopes for the tv presence (and I'm pleased with what has been produced thus far) and the livestreams are great.

On track, the most notable activity by COR has been to change the races from lap-limited to time-limited. This has, obviously, caused a lot of discussion. It does a good job of keeping the races on schedule, and when a race runs without incident they achieve similar lap totals to what would be run if they were lap limited. When there are incidents, though, it starts gouging race lengths. I wonder if there is a way to fine-tune this a bit, stopping the clock for comp cautions, lengthening the time just a bit, that sort of thing, to achieve the same effect but help drivers feel like they're not getting cut off so much.

The contrast with Crandon's lap count was stark, and... not always in a good way for lap counts. The Pro-Lite race took forever, and delayed the Cup race by a significant amount of time. Balance matters here.

The racing: Oh, man, the racing. What a season. Full fields, great on-track action, genuine points drama, everything. I feel compelled to talk about the "pro" divisions a bit.

I guess you could say that Pro Lite was the least interesting, given Brock Heger's domination of the division, but it's hard to complain about Pro Lite when they had twice the trucks they had last year. It will be interesting to see what happens with the spec division next year, when there are presumably more racers than Ryan Beat on track.

Pro Stock SxS was also a Heger show, but it was a remarkable display, because the guy he was beating in these races was previously-dominant CJ Greaves. It's a bit too much of a Yamaha class (I wish Speedworx had more to show in the division this year) but even within that confine it was something to see CJ meet his match.

Pro Mod SxS was a great series this year. There are a lot of impressive drivers, and multiple manufacturers were putting up wins. Kyle Chaney's worst-to-first triumph in Antigo looked like it might presage a season of dominance, but instead just looks like one of the most impressive driving displays of the year in any category.

Pro-2 was remarkable all year long. It had everything: Huge fields stacked with quality drivers and trucks (some of the battles from places 5-10 were incredible), Dramatic on-track action, dominatingly fast drivers like Kincaid and Brooks, underdog winners like Travis Leighton, a seesaw points chase, drama down to the final lap, and even winners of both Cups. I'm a Keegan guy, but I was genuinely sad for Jerrett Brooks, who brought his operation out here from California and put on a great show, and missed out on a title a few laps from the finish. I hope he sticks out here, because the racing is better with guys like him on track. The fact that he only won one points race, though, after dominating LOORRS last year, shows how much the guys have stepped up out here, though. Ryan Beat, Mickey Thomas, Cory how-is-he-not-yet-a Winner, the field is loaded.

Really, the only way you would be able to beat Pro-2 would be to have a top division that had a full field of incredible trucks and drivers racing at the edge of performance and... oh, hey there, it's

Pro-4 lives. The only thing the series was missing this year was a win from a truck not clothed in Monster livery winning a race. It's not that there can't be--Doug Mittag came close, RJ Anderson raced for half the season, Carlson and Cenni are both Pro-4 race winners, the Crandon weekend has some serious guest racer heft, etc. It's just that the two Greaves and Kyle Leduc are good. The pro-4 racing at ERX, both of which I got to see in person, is as good as it gets in racing anywhere. And you can tell that the high level of competition has forced everyone, including the favorites, to step up the game.

So that's it. Six race weekends. 11 points races, a world championship race, two cup races. The season is over. The season was awesome. I hope we can keep this up into future years. I hope the drivers buy in.

Short Course Off Road, right now, is everything we have longed for it to be.

Pro4orNothing

Reaction
A lot of well said points across the board. I'll add in this...

Sunday was, unfortunately, my only short course race day I'd gotten to go to this year due to other scheduling conflicts this summer and my hotel cancelling on me Friday afternoon before I was planning to leave for Crandon changing up my weekend plans.

It's amazing how much the sport has grown not just in the last 2-3 years, but year-over-year. In my 10 years going to Crandon, I don't remember the vendor midway being as packed as it was this weekend...tire companies, vehicle manufacturers, automotive products, you name it. The pits have been packed in the fall the last couple of years, but it was impressive to see how many pro level teams they were able to park on the blacktop and along the lane near the land rush start. The crowd itself was wild - I've been in some long lines for concessions before, but Sunday's were really long. Kudos to the volunteers who busted their tales to keep the lines moving as best as they could.

Some random musings from my time sitting on the hillside and walking the pits...

-Kyle LeDuc and Kyle Chaney will be avoiding every black cat, broken glass, and ladder this offseason trying to shake the bad luck they had this season. I echo the previous thoughts that it's weird to think of LeDuc in the "bad luck/underdog" role like he was this weekend in particular.

-Vintage Johnny Greaves this weekend. I know the rumor at the start of the season was this could be it...I've got a feeling he's still got something left in the tank and we'll get to see him on track at least a couple more years.

-Van Halen's "Right Now" being played before a Pro4 race (or Cup race) still gives me goosebumps

-Sunday's Pro2 battle between Keegan Kincaid and Mickey Thomas was one of the best duels I've watched in person. Kudos also to Ryan Beat for being a great sportsman after unintentionally tagging Keegan and letting him back by...I need a t-shirt of his after that one. The class is in a phenomenal place and hope it continues that way going into next year

-Conversely, Pro Lite was a mess...a lot of dirty driving from where I was sitting across the board. I feel for race control having to officiate that one. It was entertaining, but there wasn't a lot of respect out there amongst the drivers.

-We were VERY lucky that safety truck wasn't smoked by Mamer or Heger when the caution for Chad Rayford came out. Not sure if there was a miscommunication on the safety team or driver/crew front, but something that race control may want to address before the start of next season.

-For all the hate that UTV's get, tip of the cap to both the Pro Stock and Pro Mod classes for being actually rather enjoyable this year. Both divisions had some good racing all summer and on Sunday that were nice changes from what we'd seen in years past. Helps to have a handful of competitive drivers who can win every time out rather than just 1 or 2.

-Ralph Sheheen and Ken Stout were nice additions to Sunday's program, but wish they could've incorporated the regular broadcast team in on the microphone as well. Cheyne and Haley I thought both did great jobs this weekend and all year and hope they get to come back as long as they want and announce

-Lastly, a lot was made in the offseason about ticket prices increasing, then coming back down slightly from said increase. Having attended Knoxville Nationals this summer, I'll say that Crandon is still the best value for a major marquee motorsport event in the country. What a weekend pass costs gets you 3 full days of action that you'd be lucky to get 2 full days of at Knoxville...don't even get me started on Nascar and IndyCar prices. I hate increases as much as anybody, but what you get on-track and off-track with your ticket is so much more than virtually any racing series in the country that I've attended.

COR has a great thing going on and short course is healthy. Here's to this offseason hopefully flying by and to more of this excitement next summer.

sb4pro

Reaction
It was another awesome Crandon weekend and another awesome year in general . As for the drunk guy and taking your daughters pic I’ll put money on it that it was the guy my brother calls RANDY REDNECK ( black cowboy hat with a feather on the brim ? ) . If that’s him he’s ALWAYS drunk people have just kinda learned to ignore him and laugh . He’s usually harmless if he ain’t tripping all over the place 😂 I missed Sunday cause my damn stomach kept me up all night but watched online from the hotel . One of the reasons there isn’t really any autograph sessions is cause we don’t really need them . With the pits being open like they are all you have to do is be polite patient and ask . Every driver is more than willing to sign anything .
100059CF-2B39-4B3C-BC70-7FD37D38CA42.jpeg
it’s not just at Crandon either all the tracks are pretty much the same way hell it’s not just the tracks it’s the Champ Off Road community in general . Not only are OUR drivers fan friendly so are the people behind the scenes such as the officials , announcers , promotions department , not to mention all the volunteers and staff that keep things running smoothly . Another example of our drivers being fan friendly is like me with the Carlson family I follow them so much on Instagram that they’ve become friends of mine . Saturday was Andrew’s son‘s birthday and I brought him a birthday present . Just seeing the look on little Dallas‘ face when he saw the stuffed animal puppy I gave him was just priceless . I’m also friends with Michelle Huseman on Instagram and I designed and printed out shirts with Rick’s truck on it and she was super thankful for it . Another friend of mine is Chappy from RFC he’s helped me through a lot of personal stuff in my own life . We went out for dinner on Friday night and when I told him some of the stuff going on with me he chewed my ass for not calling him and letting him help me more and I SHOULD have but I didnt want to seem needy , he said he’s NEVER to busy and that I need to call him any time. Being from the northeast all I hear about is nascar this and nascar that well I’m sorry folks but nascar has NOTHING on CHAMP OFF-ROAD as far as appreciating their fans . The way I look at is nascar may have fans but Champ Off-road has FAMILY 🙏🏻🏁

Last edited:

tchapps88

Reaction
I made the 500 mile trek from the thumb of michigan by myself cause I couldnt find anyone else to go and I'm glad i did! Saturday started slow cause of the rain but filled in by the time pro lites raced, i thought the sunday crowd for the 50th was insane, yesterdays crowd I think rivaled it. Hate to bring it up but that national anthem? Yeesh.

Slash01z

Reaction
Well the 2021 (Champ) season is officially over. I have been a fan of the sport for over 20 years now and I haven’t missed a race at Crandon since 2006. My biggest comment in one sentence would have to be I think we all need to look back at this year and realize how lucky we are to have short course off-road back at this level. As others mentioned the future over the last 10+ years has been very up and down, not only in the Midwest but West. For the average fan or even new fans even the last few years may have been ok but after this year I can honestly say it brought back memories of the last few years of CORR with truck counts being solid and competitiveness throughout. I cant predict what the future holds but I feel the sport is once again at the turning point level. The energy is there to take it to the next level but will it happen I guess we wait and find out.

My opinions…

Sponsors...

In a world that is being hit economically I know its hard to grab money but I feel right now is the time to try and grab an A level sponsor. Sport related sponsors (Amsoil, Lucas, tire companies, etc) are all great and obvious but I just feel the addition of something cooperate but not quite related to the sport like a Menards or maybe a vehicle brand or construction/farm implement company would be a huge addition and possibly help grab others that may not be directly related to the sport. I know the series is a business and cant just give sponsorship away but maybe start small give them the publicity for what may seem like a cheap price… Get them in the door and work with them…

Payouts…

Ive been around all disciplines of racing my entire life so I know racing is a “hobby” and no not a money making deal but I think its time the racers see something for the effort that’s put in. Im not in with any team or series so I don’t know the true ins and outs of everything but I try to anylize entries/purse as much as possible… From what I have seen entry fee for the pro classes runs $450-700 per weekend and payout is normally a percentage but comes out to a podium purse of around $4K-7K… I know for the most part that purse comes from entry fees and sponsors.. ill get slammed here but I think its time the tracks start putting more money towards that payout. This last weekend crunching basic numbers Crandon probably pulled in between tickets, food, camping 4-8million…. The tracks have sponsorship also… I wont argue yes the facilities have costs and probably a substantial amount and also give back to the community in some ways but common without racers they don’t have an event... I think its time something gets looked at there. WOO/Lucas Latemodel/USMTS series events pay $10k to win nightly paying 24 spots with normally $500 to start and there’s 5K people in the stands.

Racing…

I don’t know if it just seems like it but man has the racing went from “rubbing is racing” to an all out bash fest… That Sunday prolite race…I think I have been to more demo derbies with less hitting/carnage then that race had. I cant believe how many times someone thought it would be better to drive thru a pack of spinning trucks like they had a plow on the front vs lifting for 3 seconds and driving around it… I know truck counts are up but I can go back and watch CORR races with 30 pro lites and I just don’t remember it being this bad… What I hate most is watching clean drivers get screwed over… Doug Mittag is probably one of the cleanest drivers in the series. To watch him race and pass Johnny and CJ clean numerous times this weekend to only get doored or pushed wide the very next corner is an absolute disgrace... CJ is a good racer and plenty fast why cant he pass anyone with running into them first?

Overall…

Pro lite Cole Mamer and Brock Heger are both skilled drivers. Sounds like Mamer is moving up full time next year would be cool to see Heger in a P2. That should open the Pro lite field up a bit. Its great to see the pro spec class being added maybe pull some drivers out of the weeds I just hope it doesn’t hurt the superstock and pro lite field too much.

Pro 2 was everything we expected from the beginning… I think it was 5 or 6 different winners…Feel bad for Brooks even tho I’m a Midwest fan I would really like to see someone else win for once… Seeing Thomas win was great. There team seems to fight tough luck all the time so to finally get a huge win is well earned. Cory Winner is also fast. Its been 5 years now since the new P@ class came about and I don’t think anyone notices that they are “dumbed down”. I do hope the class stays healthy as I had heard some rumors of people getting out. One of the coolest things for me was seeing Bob Brand run around in second for half the cup race! He has improved so much over the past few years with little funding compared to others.

Pro 4 its great to see 10 plus trucks again… Johnny has found some new life it seems and while im not a big fan of either greaves it would be a loss to see him retire. Wish Doug could have won once this year as bad luck seemed to follow him..Really impressed with Henderson, I expect him to win a race next year. I hope Cenni and Leduc continue as I know both have made mention of getting out. Carlson is always right there..Would be cool to see RJ full time as I think running only part time schedules hurts a little which you could kind of see from Bryce.

Cant wait for the 2022 rumors to start coming in!

CYS Motorsports

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
Good:

-Car counts all around were yuge.
-The Sportsman night racing needs to be back on the regular rotation, night races are always a hit.
-Ken Stout back in the booth was good to hear on Sunday, but replace Ralph with Cameron Steele and you'd have something (if they continue the route of using non-COR announcers for Red Bull Sunday)
-The Vendor area was poppin!

Bad:

-Nothing too bad but...

Ugly:

-The new jump by the Skyboxes has to go. It bent/broke something on several of the Super Stock/Stock trucks, and we saw several Pro Trucks almost die off of it as well. Not every track needs a booter/car killer.
-Pro Lite Sunday was a debacle, Super Buggy not far behind.

As far as the season overall, COR keeps trending upward overall EXCEPT race control. The 2 guys they have are great to work with, but they can only do so much. COR needs more guys to watch the racing, so they can keep better tabs on the pack as a whole rather than just a few vehicles. Get that resolved, and I don't have a single bad thing to say otherwise.

tchapps88

Reaction
Ugly:

-The new jump by the Skyboxes has to go. It bent/broke something on several of the Super Stock/Stock trucks, and we saw several Pro Trucks almost die off of it as well. Not every track needs a booter/car killer.
From a fan stand point I thought the new, bigger jump was great. was waiting all weekend for a sxs to nose dive off of it but never happend lol, hell the vw bugs doing the land rush had so much speed that on the red bull jump a bunch plowed the front ends into the dirt and did damage.

Speed-Pro487

Reaction
Payouts…

Ive been around all disciplines of racing my entire life so I know racing is a “hobby” and no not a money making deal but I think its time the racers see something for the effort that’s put in. Im not in with any team or series so I don’t know the true ins and outs of everything but I try to anylize entries/purse as much as possible… From what I have seen entry fee for the pro classes runs $450-700 per weekend and payout is normally a percentage but comes out to a podium purse of around $4K-7K… I know for the most part that purse comes from entry fees and sponsors.. ill get slammed here but I think its time the tracks start putting more money towards that payout. This last weekend crunching basic numbers Crandon probably pulled in between tickets, food, camping 4-8million…. The tracks have sponsorship also… I wont argue yes the facilities have costs and probably a substantial amount and also give back to the community in some ways but common without racers they don’t have an event... I think its time something gets looked at there. WOO/Lucas Latemodel/USMTS series events pay $10k to win nightly paying 24 spots with normally $500 to start and there’s 5K people in the stands.

Payouts are mind boggling.
From COR's website:
1631037166454.png

Saturday's Pro2 race Payout:
1631036995410.png

As a reference point, weekly payout for a lower michigan sprint car series:
1631037071108.png

racefan2041

Reaction
UPGRADES are badly needed.

Not sure if this is possible. But maybe they should take a look and maybe open other parts of the track so fans can be spread out a bit more. Don't get me wrong, it is very impressive seeing the hill packed with fans. But lots of people standing. Maybe that was thier choice. However it looked like the hill was filled very close to being filled up with chairs.

I did have an awesome time there and I would still recommend it for anyone to attend.

Hopefully with the price increase we all saw that money will go towards improvements in the near future.

Also. A huge thank you to all the volunteers that worked at the track. The dedication that these people have is unbelievable.

tchapps88

Reaction
the parking lot exit was a fiasco, it looked like they blocked off the west exit to let racers and campers leave first and the line didnt move for over an hour, i got out of line and gave the exit out to 8 a chance and luckly that one was flowing ok. also annoying the groups that set up 20-30 chairs super early in the morning then nobody shows up to sit in them till the last race of the day

Pro4orNothing

Reaction
I like the idea of opening up other areas for spectators...I think it's just a question of where do you go? Is it even feasible/safe?

I don't camp at the track, so I try to arrive at 8am promptly when the gates are supposedly just opening to get as good of a spot as I can. It always amazes me how full the hillside is with chairs even when it literally just opened minutes ago. I get that if you're on the grounds camping that you have an advantage, but it'd be nice to have more space for people to spread out so that we're also not competing for the same pieces of real estate as much.

I'll echo the sentiments about restrooms...it's probably my only true "negative" I have about the experience at-track. As a guy, that don't bother me as much - but I know my significant other comments on them when she joins me at other races and it does influence her desire to attend races at certain tracks. It's not a "fun" subject, but it is part of the overall experience...given the talk about improvements at the facility, I hope revisiting them are high on that list.

Parking at any big event or race is always going to be a fiasco, is what I've learned. The best luck I've had at Crandon is arriving early, and leaving right as the leader is about to cross the finish line of the last race of the day. If you're not in a hurry to leave and want to see everybody finish and the podium interviews, your best bet is to wait an hour or so after the race ends and take in the post-race activities in the pits.

acers

Reaction
I like the idea of opening up other areas for spectators...I think it's just a question of where do you go? Is it even feasible/safe?

I don't camp at the track, so I try to arrive at 8am promptly when the gates are supposedly just opening to get as good of a spot as I can. It always amazes me how full the hillside is with chairs even when it literally just opened minutes ago. I get that if you're on the grounds camping that you have an advantage, but it'd be nice to have more space for people to spread out so that we're also not competing for the same pieces of real estate as much.

I'll echo the sentiments about restrooms...it's probably my only true "negative" I have about the experience at-track. As a guy, that don't bother me as much - but I know my significant other comments on them when she joins me at other races and it does influence her desire to attend races at certain tracks. It's not a "fun" subject, but it is part of the overall experience...given the talk about improvements at the facility, I hope revisiting them are high on that list.

Parking at any big event or race is always going to be a fiasco, is what I've learned. The best luck I've had at Crandon is arriving early, and leaving right as the leader is about to cross the finish line of the last race of the day. If you're not in a hurry to leave and want to see everybody finish and the podium interviews, your best bet is to wait an hour or so after the race ends and take in the post-race activities in the pits.
Now you let the secret out. LOL

Rennsport Group

Reaction
ill get slammed here but I think its time the tracks start putting more money towards that payout. This last weekend crunching basic numbers Crandon probably pulled in between tickets, food, camping 4-8million…. The tracks have sponsorship also… I wont argue yes the facilities have costs and probably a substantial amount and also give back to the community in some ways but common without racers they don’t have an event...

I can't get into this too much but I will share that 4-8 million is way off and that the costs of maintaining a 400 acre facility open just eight days a year (in the cold harsh of Wisconsin) is brutal. Crandon adds a $10,000 additional Sportsman purse for each of our weekends and a $183,000 cash and prize purse for World Cup Sunday -- and over 1.2 million to the World Cup Pro classes since 2016. Add the crowd and the various livestream and network television and we are doing as much as we can. Is there more to do by us, the other tracks and the series? Always. But our passion for the sport and racers (of all kinds) will hopefully inspire a better future for all.

Also, it was the biggest crowd we have had in 52 years. We have growing pains and will be working on the fan experience over the next year. One piece of insight. As the promoter, in many respects I would give anything to have access to a much larger population base to get more help. Nobody would believe how hard our tiny staff and our beloved volunteer group has to work on World Championship weekend. Not hours of work, but multiple 12-16 hour days. That said, 2022 will be better. Thanks to all our fans for coming to The Big House.

stephenrjking

Reaction
ill get slammed here but I think its time the tracks start putting more money towards that payout. This last weekend crunching basic numbers Crandon probably pulled in between tickets, food, camping 4-8million…. The tracks have sponsorship also… I wont argue yes the facilities have costs and probably a substantial amount and also give back to the community in some ways but common without racers they don’t have an event...

I can't get into this too much but I will share that 4-8 million is way off and that the costs of maintaining a 400 acre facility open just eight days a year (in the cold harsh of Wisconsin) is brutal. Crandon adds a $10,000 additional Sportsman purse for each of our weekends and a $183,000 cash and prize purse for World Cup Sunday -- and over 1.2 million to the World Cup Pro classes since 2016. Add the crowd and the various livestream and network television and we are doing as much as we can. Is there more to do by us, the other tracks and the series? Always. But our passion for the sport and racers (of all kinds) will hopefully inspire a better future for all.

Also, it was the biggest crowd we have had in 52 years. We have growing pains and will be working on the fan experience over the next year. One piece of insight. As the promoter, in many respects I would give anything to have access to a much larger population base to get more help. Nobody would believe how hard our tiny staff and our beloved volunteer group has to work on World Championship weekend. Not hours of work, but multiple 12-16 hour days. That said, 2022 will be better. Thanks to all our fans for coming to The Big House.
Thanks Marty. There’s work to do, but what you guys have done with a volunteer team in a back corner of the woods hours from any major metropolitan area has been miraculous.