Crandon 2021 Wrap / COR 2021 Season Wrap

handmethemic

Reaction
Brent and Cheyne did a great job setting up the late-lap drama in Pro-2 after Brooks crashed out, turning a race that featured little passing in the front positions late into a gripping drama.

Not pictured: me furiously scribbling notes throughout some of the races on Saturday as I try to figure out who needs to move where to shake up points standings...

That Pro 2 finale couldn't have been any more dramatic had we hired a team of writers, though. One driver already in literally the best spot he can get himself (Keegan leading after picking up the halfway +2 points) and another driver sitting fourth, his championship hopes hanging on his ability to move up one singular spot. The fans who stuck out a wild season in Pro 2 got an absolute treat with that conclusion.

acers

Reaction
Thank You to all people involved in making this a fantastic event. The amount of work to put this on has to be endless. Racing was awesome as always. Been going to crandon my hole life and just keeps getting better. Truck count was just wow!!! Great to see so many venders also. Meet a first timer and he is hooked. As far as parking goes it is what it is with that many people. Bathrooms is something that can be fixed. Thanks for an awesome weekend

sb4pro

Reaction
HOME SWEET HOME 584E77C3-23D4-47E1-9DD2-7E38C98C214B.jpeg

Viola1685

Reaction
We just acquired a pro2 and come from desert racing and the time deal is something that’s made us question racing it. Back in the day when Lucas oil did 13-20 laps at least the drivers got to be on the track a little bit but 12 mins of track time total is kinda hard of an idea to swallow. I would love to see some compromise there to get some good actual track time.
Just my .02 cents as a soon to be pro 2 entry

tchapps88

Reaction
We just acquired a pro2 and come from desert racing and the time deal is something that’s made us question racing it. Back in the day when Lucas oil did 13-20 laps at least the drivers got to be on the track a little bit but 12 mins of track time total is kinda hard of an idea to swallow. I would love to see some compromise there to get some good actual track time.
Just my .02 cents as a soon to be pro 2 entry
johnny greaves put on instagram last night questioning why the cup race was 9 laps instead of its traditional 10. I get that kids are the future of the sport and its great they have more opportunities than ever to race and be seen on a big stage but being said its hurting blue collar sportsman guys. There has to be a way to run some of the trophy kart and rzr 170 classes together to free up time to run extra lap or 2 in the bigger classes, cor needs to figure that out and bring back formula 4x4 and classix, it wasnt fair to them guys to get squeezed out and people loved watching them race. v8 trucks will always be more exciting to watch just cause of the sound of the engine over a buggy or sxs.

putorkdforbaskat

Reaction
the only thing I keep asking after each season of Pro4 racing is: "How is Nascar bigger than this?"
Amazing season, congrats to all the fans, teams, promoters etc... Short Course is literally the best motorsport out there right now.

CYS Motorsports

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
j There has to be a way to run some of the trophy kart and rzr 170 classes together to free up time to run extra lap or 2 in the bigger classes, cor needs to figure that out and bring back formula 4x4 and classix, it wasnt fair to them guys to get squeezed out and people loved watching them race.

This contradicts itself, because bringing those back would take up even more time, meaning less laps for all. Plus having 3 of each running at the end of the race is not entertaining.

There are too many classes, rumors going around all season that a few more may get the axe.

Reaction
This contradicts itself, because bringing those back would take up even more time, meaning less laps for all. Plus having 3 of each running at the end of the race is not entertaining.

There are too many classes, rumors going around all season that a few more may get the axe.

Hard to imagine cutting any existing classes would be a good idea. IMO they are pretty much cut to the bone right now, at least in terms of non-utv classes. There are only two sportsman truck classes- getting rid of either of them would be a massive blunder. And the point about karts and 170 UTVs is a good one. Obviously I'm all for giving the kids a way to get started but it certainly seems that an inordinate amount of track time is devoted to the now four classes for them. I'm of the opinion that adding youth UTV classes was a big mistake, though I understand why they did it from a purely business perspective. Frankly most people don't care for the big UTV classes, much less the little ones.

tchapps88

Reaction

I'm not saying they have to run formula 4x4/ classix by themselves, they could run them with another class, just like the kids classes, run 2 at a time and it save an hour on the schedule. Plus if formula 4x4/ classix guys had the oportunity to race there will be more than 3 or 4 in time.

wiegs1582

Reaction
Great points and topics covered by all. Don't want to add much more here but have been on this board for many years and just starting to post.

I grew up 30ish minutes south of Crandon and my grandfather ran the car dealership in Crandon for many years. To this day, my favorite sporting moment came when I was in grade school visiting my grandfather at work in the summer and he asked if I would like to go to Jack Flannery's shop and sit in his trucks. The pictures got misplaced over the years but that is what was the beginning of an early love for Off-Road Racing.

I haven't missed many Labor Day Weekend races since 1993, maybe 10 or so...and to a previous post up above in this thread when 20 plus trucks come out of the corner number one, it is truly a sight to see.

In all those years...I have never seen the crowd like there was on Sunday. Obviously, Marty pointed out it was the largest that Crandon has seen. With the concessions lines, bathroom lines, and seating in general. Yes, improvements could be made to bathrooms but this facility is only used a few times a year.

Volunteers are always top-notch. It's amazing to see what they do year after year. Parking is a pain but I don't know what more can be done...we are talking Crandon, Wisconsin with one main highway.

The most impressive thing from the weekend was the Ryan Beat hit on Keegan and giving it back. I caught that one on the live stream before I got up to the races on Sunday and I remember the announcers saying they never saw such a thing before. Tip of the cap to him.

Bob Brand also ran extremely well in that Cup Race...was a shame to see him go wide and hit the wall on corner number two. I was really impressed with what he was showing.

My last point as I have been rambling is I talked to a few people I was next to. One mentioned it was their first time at Crandon and another had not been back in 31 years when his brother previously raced. It is hard to believe people are still getting to Crandon for the first time. I have always said this about Crandon but Off-Road Racing in the Midwest...it is a hidden gem still to this day and has more potential.

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Website
www.highrevphoto.com
Hard to imagine cutting any existing classes would be a good idea. IMO they are pretty much cut to the bone right now, at least in terms of non-utv classes. There are only two sportsman truck classes- getting rid of either of them would be a massive blunder. And the point about karts and 170 UTVs is a good one. Obviously I'm all for giving the kids a way to get started but it certainly seems that an inordinate amount of track time is devoted to the now four classes for them. I'm of the opinion that adding youth UTV classes was a big mistake, though I understand why they did it from a purely business perspective. Frankly most people don't care for the big UTV classes, much less the little ones.

Are there smaller races out in the midwest where the 170 and 570's can race in? Or is COR the only place for them to race? Out here we have WORCS, BITD, GAS and a few other places that kids can race and get experience.

stephenrjking

Reaction
Are there smaller races out in the midwest where the 170 and 570's can race in? Or is COR the only place for them to race? Out here we have WORCS, BITD, GAS and a few other places that kids can race and get experience.
A fair number of them are kids of racers or team members that are already at the track for their own races, I think, so separate weekends aren't always practical... and it also helps keep the existing teams happy. Kyle Leduc posts almost as much about his son's racing as his own, for example.

It does add up to a lot of races, though.
My last point as I have been rambling is I talked to a few people I was next to. One mentioned it was their first time at Crandon and another had not been back in 31 years when his brother previously raced. It is hard to believe people are still getting to Crandon for the first time. I have always said this about Crandon but Off-Road Racing in the Midwest...it is a hidden gem still to this day and has more potential.
That sounds like growth to me. My wife went with us for the first time, and I had all four kids with me for the first time (I've usually only taken one or two in the past). And I've got a friend telling me that he needs to go next year.

Growth is good. Comes with growing pains, like infrastructure problems, but it's good. It should be noted, for all of the talk about concessions and restrooms, that one of the reasons they originally tried to sell the track to Jamey was, we heard, that a single owner could better move the track forward with upgrades. There's probably some truth to that, and with that deal falling through it will be interesting to see how the track chooses to move forward.

acers

Reaction
A fair number of them are kids of racers or team members that are already at the track for their own races, I think, so separate weekends aren't always practical... and it also helps keep the existing teams happy. Kyle Leduc posts almost as much about his son's racing as his own, for example.

It does add up to a lot of races, though.

That sounds like growth to me. My wife went with us for the first time, and I had all four kids with me for the first time (I've usually only taken one or two in the past). And I've got a friend telling me that he needs to go next year.

Growth is good. Comes with growing pains, like infrastructure problems, but it's good. It should be noted, for all of the talk about concessions and restrooms, that one of the reasons they originally tried to sell the track to Jamey was, we heard, that a single owner could better move the track forward with upgrades. There's probably some truth to that, and with that deal falling through it will be interesting to see how the track chooses to move forward.

stephenrjking

Reaction
I see Kyle has his pro4 for sale. Hope its cause he is building a new one and hes not moving on.
He said on his IG post after Crandon that he’s going to be working hard in the off-season to get back on top. I suppose it’s possible that he changed his mind a couple days later, but it sounds to me like he’s building a new truck. Here’s the post:

stephenrjking

Reaction
That's good to hear. I was honestly kind of concerned- was afraid his heart wasn't really in pro4 anymore and he might hang it up. Considering those rumors have floated around a bit anyway, combined with the year he had.
He has said he won't do this forever. I was just some guy with his kid visiting his pit, but I asked up this alley and he said that he wants to race with competition, but if the division dissipates he'll probably fold up shop. He has been calling for guys to step up their game in Pro-4... and that has happened. So it looks like he's responding with a new truck, which... if history is a guide, look out.

It is absolutely visible that both the Pro-2 and Pro-4 fields have stepped up the game. Multiple teams with significant improvement and speed. It's hot out there.

450grl

Reaction
Website
www.wellerracing.com
He has said he won't do this forever. I was just some guy with his kid visiting his pit, but I asked up this alley and he said that he wants to race with competition, but if the division dissipates he'll probably fold up shop. He has been calling for guys to step up their game in Pro-4... and that has happened. So it looks like he's responding with a new truck, which... if history is a guide, look out.

It is absolutely visible that both the Pro-2 and Pro-4 fields have stepped up the game. Multiple teams with significant improvement and speed. It's hot out there.
I agree - I think 2022 will be phenomenal!