Crandon 2021 Wrap / COR 2021 Season Wrap

afortune46

RDC Crypto
So I will add a conflicting view point here in regards to the sportsman classes in regards to utv classes (and admittingly I am a bit biased here)

SxS classes have 5 oem's represented (Yamaha, CanAm , Polaris, Arctic Cat and Honda) CanAm and Polaris have expressed interest in being cooperate sponsors, Yamaha provides 10k to the winner of the mod class and 15k to the winner of the pro stock class provided they are racing a Yamaha. So you have two multi national corporations providing the series funds to grow, build, and maintain what they have. If Ford and Chevy were to do the same - payouts, entry fees etc would all be effected in positive manners The SxS classes pump a drastic amount of money not only into the series but into the venues as well ( Crandon I teched 61 pro stock and pro mod SxS - and I still had 4 more classes to tech - the car counts are staggering in comparison to other classes)

Ford and Chevy were at Crandon , and the hopes and thoughts are they they will come on board to offer more support then that already do for the future of our sport Looking at the sportsman truck classes for example- How many trucks out there look like they survived WW3, no branding on them (for Ford, Chevy) how many of them unrecognizable for the average Joe. From Chevy and Fords standpoint - how do you pump an influx of cash into those classes when the return on investment for marketing (because lets face it as racing is used for marketing and its a business , you need to justify spending the money) when you have a sheet metal nose, no branding stickers (headlights, grill design etc) like the pro trucks use , hell even stock cars run a fiberglass nose with chevy or whatever on them. I understand its a low buck race program but becoming upset when you dont get the time you deserve - the series simply cannot afford to from a business standpoint.

The thing is - Isoc/Champ whatever you want to call them - are giving us all a place to race , but in order to do that they have to make sound financial decisions in order to not fall into the same 2 year cycle the former brands fell into. I can tell you going into 2022 Champ is going to continue to grow , continue to build and continue to be the series in the midwest with meetings that have occurred between the President, Series director , All technical directors (sportsman included) and race directors they are looking at 3-5 years in advance. Something that Al McMillin (who has seen it all in midwest short course) has said has never happened before.

sb4pro

RDC Crypto
My little cousin just opened the Crandon swag package I sent him . It had an autograph from Andrew , a program , a can coozie , Red Bull stickers and Crandon shirt . HE LOVED IT
FDA64448-2B63-4B57-AF0B-EF62FD55D002.jpeg

freshwillie

RDC Crypto
With both ford and chevy having displays at crandon hopefully that means manufacturer support is on the horizon and maybe there will be enough pie to go around
OEM grills or exact duplicates need to come back. no flat plastic covers. etc. every truck class needs to get closer to a oem looking body. also a lot of the glass companies have little incentive to provide up to date body's. someone needs to get with manufacturers to get them to subsidize molds of new body styles as soon as truck models are updated. then they can also have a say in what the product looks like. I love my vintage race truck body but would run a exact duplicate 2021 f-150 body if I could do it in a cost effective manner. I cant shell out $1000's to make molds on a superstock budget.

Joxracing

RDC Crypto
Ford and Chevy were at Crandon , and the hopes and thoughts are they they will come on board to offer more support then that already do for the future of our sport Looking at the sportsman truck classes for example- How many trucks out there look like they survived WW3, no branding on them (for Ford, Chevy) how many of them unrecognizable for the average Joe. From Chevy and Fords standpoint - how do you pump an influx of cash into those classes when the return on investment for marketing (because lets face it as racing is used for marketing and its a business , you need to justify spending the money) when you have a sheet metal nose, no branding stickers (headlights, grill design etc) like the pro trucks use , hell even stock cars run a fiberglass nose with chevy or whatever on them. I understand its a low buck race program but becoming upset when you dont get the time you deserve - the series simply cannot afford to from a business standpoint.

I will agree with this. Super Stock is almost worse than Stock Truck with looking like a generic drawing of a pickup truck. I am part of the problem, running a blank nose. Why? Because the vinyl for said nose is $125 bucks. Doesn't seem like much but to stock/superstock guys its just easier to run nothing. ( I will say Im currently working on a solution for expensive nose stickers with our company Lake Superior Press)

The other problem is the class rules really catering to old trucks. I had to fight for over a year for the class to allow my 2012 Chevrolet in. I think that should be addressed soon. These old trucks are hard to come by and don't provide much incentive for manufacturers. 20 years ago Ford was giving out trucks for "super stock" guys to build into race trucks. Not much of a better sales tactic to see real full frame trucks racing that you could buy at your dealership.

Bias opinion here, but you could line up a Can-am, Honda, Arctic Cat, Polaris, Yamaha, what have you and I wouldn't be able to tell you which is which 😂

afortune46

RDC Crypto
I will agree with this. Super Stock is almost worse than Stock Truck with looking like a generic drawing of a pickup truck. I am part of the problem, running a blank nose. Why? Because the vinyl for said nose is $125 bucks. Doesn't seem like much but to stock/superstock guys its just easier to run nothing. ( I will say Im currently working on a solution for expensive nose stickers with our company Lake Superior Press)

The other problem is the class rules really catering to old trucks. I had to fight for over a year for the class to allow my 2012 Chevrolet in. I think that should be addressed soon. These old trucks are hard to come by and don't provide much incentive for manufacturers. 20 years ago Ford was giving out trucks for "super stock" guys to build into race trucks. Not much of a better sales tactic to see real full frame trucks racing that you could buy at your dealership.

Bias opinion here, but you could line up a Can-am, Honda, Arctic Cat, Polaris, Yamaha, what have you and I wouldn't be able to tell you which is which 😂
Very true, but when you as an oem that is multi national and has millions in marketing dollars that you can disburse in contingencies, support, parts allowances and in return can use the return in investment in your marketing platform for your demographic and the people interested in the industry - its a huge boost for the racers. I had a 45 minute conference call with CanAm (skidoo/brp) today about rules and moving forward and they said if things get to where its about the driver and not the equipment and money spent they can justify bigger paybacks to the racers and more support.

The biggest thing (and I know it will upset the sportsman by saying this) is if $125 dollars is a tipping point to racing or not racing I think it may be time to reconsider what you're doing. Racing is expensive , its never getting cheaper, and its in no way a dig at anyone or any class but the vehicles shouldn't look like they just left the county fair demo derby/ tough truck competition to come run. There was significant talks about what to do to bring sportsman classes current too like you had mentioned about making the 2012 models legal and how to maintain truck counts without turning it into a full on money game.

Bottom line really is Champ is doing well , its growing, and isn't going anywhere which is fantastic news for racers that are used to the two year ownership cycle.

cjmay13

RDC Crypto
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think when Ford and Chevy started stepping away is when I noticed a lot of the disappearance of Ford and Chevy emblems and stickers.

I don't think it's the $125 is making or breaking their program it's just that they can put that money somewhere else in their program.

Jacob D

RDC Crypto
A little off topic here, but something I noticed while watching a video. SXS Sports posted a video interviewing Kyle Chaney about winning the points. Appears to be the Greg Adler truck in the background. Pretty sure that’s in the Greaves shop.

putorkdforbaskat

RDC Crypto
I could read you guys chatting here for hours! Idk why but I find soo cool to read the civilized discussions! Im a big fan of the sport but Im from other continet with almost no access to the actual championship so this is pure gold to me. A big thanks for all the members here haha

PDANK Racing

RDC Crypto
Website
www.pdankoffroad.com
johnny greaves put on instagram last night questioning why the cup race was 9 laps instead of its traditional 10. I get that kids are the future of the sport and its great they have more opportunities than ever to race and be seen on a big stage but being said its hurting blue collar sportsman guys. There has to be a way to run some of the trophy kart and rzr 170 classes together to free up time to run extra lap or 2 in the bigger classes, cor needs to figure that out and bring back formula 4x4 and classix, it wasnt fair to them guys to get squeezed out and people loved watching them race. v8 trucks will always be more exciting to watch just cause of the sound of the engine over a buggy or sxs.
34 170's and 21 karts, this wouldn't work. One thing to also look at, classix and F4x4 were replaced by pro am and 570. These class already have 29 cars combined, versus the 14 (6 of these only race crandon) combined that they lost. 570 will probably have a 50% or larger growth for next year. The reality for Classix/F4x4 is their rulebook priced them out and the racers wouldn't make changes to reduce costs.. Budget-wise they are as much or more than Stock and Super stock, which is why more people went that route. My classix was a $1200 roller when I got it, and had $25,000 spent in 2 yrs.

I do have a big problem with the amount of race time, when I started racing, we had 20 min races, and that felt like enough. Now its a total of 20mins in a weekend including practice. They waste so much time grooming the track and overwatering. Oddly enough, it seemed like most of the races were ran ahead of schedule. Limit grooming to 10 mins, more than enough time to race for everyone.