• Forum membership has its advantages....

On Topic Crandon Racers

acers

I hope torc goes back to the old pro2 rules. They have more trucks but only 3 are competitive.The difference really showed at crandon.

racefan2041

Rumor has it Carl hit his head on the rollcage after landing the off the barn jump. He apperently got dizzy and pulled off. I guess this happened during the pro 4 race.

Joxracing

There was lots of "drama" following the west vs. east race, as far as different rules, etc etc. I dont feel the need to comment on that, but I will say this.

Im disappointed on how RDC covered Crandon this year. The title "West Coast Cleans up at Big House" is a little misleading, considering a TORC P2 took third in the cup race, among other Midwest podium spots and the great battles that were decided either by a small mistake or mechanical failure. They fail to mention how many "West Coast" teams got there knob knocked in the dirt by Corner One.

Also disappointed in the coverage of the MORR sportsman classes, who are the back bone of this sport and provide some of the most exciting racing during the day. RDC always mentioned these racers, which was a big deal to us, and Im sad to see that overlooked this year with how strong the racing and car count was.

Just my .2

Rennsport Group

Hello all. Thanks for all the discussion regarding the Crandon World Cup/World Championship weekend. A couple of things to point out here. Alwaysracin that is simply not the case. All of the PRO 4 trucks had the exact same rules for World Cup Sunday -- we went back and took off all rev limits on all trucks, but had a minimum weight of 4,050 lbs. based upon a 10 pound per engine cubic inch rule. That said, the Menzies boys showed up with a bunch of pre-race prep and were on point all weekend.

One thing to mention, Bryce Menzies set a new track record for the truck DURING the race, not in qualifying. He beat the old record set by CJ Greaves a couple of years ago in qualifying when the rules were nearly identical. Just something to ponder...

Thanks for the kind words SB4PRO ... trying to offer up some non-fake news.

acers

Hello all. Thanks for all the discussion regarding the Crandon World Cup/World Championship weekend. A couple of things to point out here. Alwaysracin that is simply not the case. All of the PRO 4 trucks had the exact same rules for World Cup Sunday -- we went back and took off all rev limits on all trucks, but had a minimum weight of 4,050 lbs. based upon a 10 pound per engine cubic inch rule. That said, the Menzies boys showed up with a bunch of pre-race prep and were on point all weekend.

One thing to mention, Bryce Menzies set a new track record for the truck DURING the race, not in qualifying. He beat the old record set by CJ Greaves a couple of years ago in qualifying when the rules were nearly identical. Just something to ponder...

Thanks for the info. Menzies came prepared and it payed off. He is one of the best drivers in short course racing

havahockey

Flipper
There was lots of "drama" following the west vs. east race, as far as different rules, etc etc. I dont feel the need to comment on that, but I will say this.

Im disappointed on how RDC covered Crandon this year. The title "West Coast Cleans up at Big House" is a little misleading, considering a TORC P2 took third in the cup race, among other Midwest podium spots and the great battles that were decided either by a small mistake or mechanical failure. They fail to mention how many "West Coast" teams got there knob knocked in the dirt by Corner One.

Also disappointed in the coverage of the MORR sportsman classes, who are the back bone of this sport and provide some of the most exciting racing during the day. RDC always mentioned these racers, which was a big deal to us, and Im sad to see that overlooked this year with how strong the racing and car count was.

Just my .2
I wrote the stories covering Saturday and Sundays' races out in Crandon for RDC as well as the photos. The title came to me in a dream when I realized from the Pro 2, Pro 4, Prolite, Pro Buggy, and Pro 2 vs Pro 4 Cup race, in those 5 races 5 west coast guys won. I don't believe any of the LOORRS UTV regulars made the trip out to Crandon so I didn't factor those races in.

"West Coast Guys Win 5 Races in Crandon However Some East Coast Guys Made The Podium Too" just doesn't have the same ring to it. :)

I didn't cover any sportsman racing on Friday or Saturday because quite honestly I didn't have time to watch or shoot any of them because of other client commitments outside the track.

Remember no one paid RDC to bring you coverage from this weekend, they spent their own dime to bring coverage for you guys to watch while at home to the people who couldn't make it out there.

If you're upset that there wasn't enough sportsman coverage remember that TORC puts out their own PR every day, and you can watch the races on replay online via TORC's Youtube page. Also does MORR put out a PR or story on their races?

pdailey

Racer

Perhaps next time there should be more than just a few days heads up on the rule change. There's more to it than just changing the rev limiter on these trucks. The TORC regulars are not happy at all.

Jimmy8

I will say that the East Coast guys sure didn't help their own cause. Douglas taking out Keegan on lap 1 of the cup race that cost them both when Keegan is one of the strongest guys in TORC... JG and CJ were very strong all weekend, but they definitely got choked up in some traffic in the cup race. Both Bryce and Kyle took some extreme risks and threaded the needle to get thru the P2's and lappers on more than once occasion and I didn't see those risks taken by anyone else. Not speaking to the rules, because that is out of my wheelhouse, but I will say that Tommy Morris did a phenomenal job trying to make East Coast Pro 2's, West Coast Pro 2's, East Coast Pro 4's, and West Coast Pro 4's all equal for the Cup race. No easy task to get 4 different specs of vehicles close to equal.

Rennsport Group

All...without getting too in depth the Crandon Balance of Performance discussions took months and were the result of Tommy Morris working closely with both TORC and Lucas Oil technical groups -- and in a very mutually respectful manner from all sides. Our task was not to create a new set of rules but to equalize the playing field as much as possible. Also, this set of regulations was for all PRO classes. Yes, it would have been great having more time but there was also discussion of TORC modifying their rules before Labor Day Crandon that would have changed the regulations yet again.

In fairness, both sides were sent the final rules at the same time. And, of course, it is unfortunate that there is disatsfaction on any side. We will be working toward the future as soon as both series release their 2018 rules packages.

Was it perfect? Likely not but it was yet another step in the right direction for the Crandon World Cup and the entire sport in our opinion. As I have repeatedly said, fans deserve to see the best racing the best, even just one time a year in Crandon on Labor Day weekend. The World Cup offers that, and the record crowds provided a tangible proof of concept. As long as there are two series, Crandon is committed to hosting and promoting the World Cup.

Hopefully there will be a time in the future when all the rules are standardized and tracks can do what they need to build spectator count, media interest and larger purses -- and that will be to dedicate all their time and resources to good old fashion promotion.

Last edited:

justafan

My .02...

Racing was probably the best I've seen in years. I will admit when the Cup race rolled off and I saw the big head start the TORC P2's had, I didn't think the P4's stood a chance. The track was absolutely perfect. Hours after the races it still was tacky and looked like it could have had another day put on it. Menzies, Leduc and CJ were all under previous track record.

The gripe about not being fair, eh, I think for the Greaves clan it was going to be good for them. They had been putting down many laps unrestricted for years. Lap times showed CJ was right there. For Hoek, it was not a good thing. Most likely why he loaded up and didn't run. Menzies, Leduc and CJ were all under previous track record.

Looking back at lap times between the 2 P2 rule sets. When the track wasn't in prime condition they were closer than expected. At one point only .3 different. The HP and project tires really showed up when track came around and the tire and HP could be put the the track and used.

Only gripe I had was now that we've got a consistent 50k, we need more bathrooms. LOL See everyone on the hill next year.

Rennsport Group

All...and, just to 100% clarify any confusion, the delay in getting the Balance of Performance rested squarely on the shoulders of Crandon/me and not TORC. There has been a welcome and great sense of fairness and support in all our discussions with both series frankly.

Oh, and justafan, yes, our plans are to build more permanent restrooms under the original grandstands as we move forward toward our 50th anniversary in 2019.

justafan

I'm pre any bathroom and full on porta-potty was the only way to go. Literally ;) We haven't hit critical mass yet. If you time it right, you are still good. Figured bathrooms were on the list. BTW the new additions are awesome!

racefan2041

Great news about hearing both series talking. Maybe in the near future both series can come up with a set of rules for the classes so trucks can be ran in either series. One would think that would eliminate most headaches when it comes to Labor Day weekend.

The new grandstands, announcers building, food stands, and kitchen look good. I agree more bathrooms would be nice. I also think another food stand would help too. Still have long lines. Great to see more electric site in the campground.

sb4pro

From the very beginning this whole split has reminded me of the cart / irl split . Hopefully some day TORC and LOORRS can come to some sort of merger and get back to the glory days of the sport . As for Crandon's future I'm pretty positive it will survive with either TORC , LOORRS , or whoever comes out ahead in the merger . The 1st step should be we need one universal set of rules that is not only beneficial but affordable to ALL racers pro and sportsman alike regardless of affiliation . That way if and when there is a merger all racers will already be ahead of the game other than travel expenses .
Regarding travel I feel a schedule that is an equal mix of the west and east coast tracks would be ideal . For instance take the top 5 best LOORRS tracks and top 5 best TORC tracks and make a schedule so the west coasters come east for 5 races and the east coasters go west for 5 races . In all it would be 10 tracks with 2 rounds at each track for a total of 20 rounds . Start the season out west ( since the weather is nicer out there earlier in the year ) at say Glen Helen then go to Wild West , Elsinore , Estero Beach then Lucas Oil Speedway since it is this far East . The east coast swing would start with Chicago, ERX , Bark River , Red Bud , then finish up at Crandon on Labor Day . Yes that only gives each track 1 date a year but that's where the Sportsman come in they can still stay close to their respective coasts and have their own separate schedule to give each track additional dates either under the same sanctioning body or 2 separate ones ( MORR and a new one for the west coast ) since they wouldn't be meeting east / west but again under the same rules that way if sportsman teams DO wanna cherry pick events the rules would be the same .
Sorry for the long rant I guess I'm just kinda throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks ;)