• Forum membership has its advantages....

Crap work, dangerous times and wasted money

Fifty

Well,

You try to do some research, you try to take your vehicle to a reputable place to do work that you no longer can. But with out going too far into it, if you received work back like the following pictures, how disappointed would you be. I use disappointed lightly. Being pissed and screaming from 500 miles away gets you nothing.

Then again, Its been 6 weeks of trying to get the company to stand by their work. They delivered the truck in the dark and I was in a hurry to get on the road and drive the 500 miles home... They knew this. They gave me a full bill that included items that they didnt complete. Luckily I had my phone light and looked for these items and saw they were not done. I had to tell them to take them off. They did not voluntarily adjust the bill based on completed tasks)

Little did I know, the bed wasnt bolted down, or the grill, and the fabrication work was discovered until daylight. They were informed day 1.

Here are the pictures of how I found no bed mounts and the bolts just well...you can see. The bed was loaded with a 35 inch tire/wheel, a bed rack that was only attached by 1 bolt to the bed itself, and a bunch of crap, and two leaf springs. I believe all of the weight in the bed is the reason I didnt hear it clunking and the clunking I did hear, I chalked up to all the stuff in the bed.

Attachments

Last edited:

Fifty

To continue, they were to make a front bumper to match the fiberglass fenders, and to include a skid plate. For some reason they used a weird spacer plate on the frame horn, and then mounted the bumper to the spacer plate with one bolt....
That little cut silver rusted tube is the "adapter" they used to line up the factroy skid plate that they decided to chop up instead of keep or replace. It was about twice the diameter of the bolt that fed through it so it was all jacked up and didnt work
Not that it lined up anyways.... and not that they fully welded the bumper... heck, Im a horrific welder and I can do better...youll see next post

Attachments

Fifty

Im not saying that I know a lot about welding. But Im pretty sure if you advertise your company as one that has built tons of Baja 1000,500 etc etc winning trucks and are a leader in the industry and do quality work...

Then I hope you dont do it like this. When I chopped the side arms off so I could run the bumper flat temporarily, about a cup of rust water came out. This was a week after I thought I had drained all of the rust water out. The vertical arms were so off, and the welds were so cold and built up, that I just stopped taking photos.

Unfortunatly they decided to finish their welds with the bumper on the truck instead of tacking it together then doing complete welds on a table...or the ground. So not only were their gaps in the welds there were also rust berries that were melted into the plastics of the truck. Not sure they even used gas, Because the only times I have ever thrown that much splatter is when I ran out of gas and I was in a hurry....aka didnt care,..

Attachments

Fifty

Well. Who was it? Put them on blast! You could save a life.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
They are a company that is on this forum. Maybe they will chime in here quicker than they have been dragging on with me.

They broke a tail light, and it took a month of me pestering them to replace it. I requested an OEM light and instead they sent a chinese knock off that doesnt fit, nor did the wire harness match. I attempted to use the original wire harness but the middle light (reverse light) will not fit.

So I need to buy a $200 light, about $300 in engine bay trim pieces and cowl that goes under the wind shield, build a new front bumper. These are the costs out of pocket.
This doesnt include the headache of searching the truck for significant items they didnt reattach. Heck, the bed and the grill... and the top of the fenders by the a pillar (they molded in holes to match the frame as an attachment, and they didnt even attach them).

Fifty

Here is an example of the weld berries melted into the plastics. And I am not even going to get into the quality of the paint. I had not set the bar very high, and it was good that I didnt. But the fact that they molded in attachment points for their front fenders to mate up to parts on the truck for instance, and did not bother attaching them. I guess I should count myself lucky that they broke/lost/threw away the cowl pieces so it was easier for me to discover these things so i can now attach them myself.

Attachments

Last edited:

Fifty

6 weeks of chasing. 6 weeks of them ignoring, stalling, saying the work was crappy but refusing to stand up.

I have received tons of messages saying not to try to protect the company. That they could just as easily screw others and produce dangerous and weak safety products and get people hurt. For
Some reason I wanted to give them more time to make things right.

Their answer today was the same. And to let you know, there are additional things that were just too much to post. These are the fabrication high lights. The attitude, the stories, the billing with out work performed for instance, the bed and bed rack not being secured. The broken parts, crappy paint etc.

I don’t know if McNeil racing has had a change in management or if they just consider small jobs like mine, not full blown race trucks not worthy of quality work and consideration.

I took it to them because of a perceived reputation. Boy have they ruined that reputation in everyone who has seen this work and their responses.

Fifty

Last I heard, they stand by their “$200 refund to the shop who would fix the bumper” if an itemized receipt is sent to them.

This was a couple days ago. And they have not replied to my repeated denial of that offer.

So looks like McNeil racing has spiraled the tank since Perry has left running the business to his son.

Good luck and God speed to anyone who uses their products or services. You will need it.

Fifty

So six weeks of trying to get them to do what’s right, including asking for a refund for the bumper at week 4 an oem light Day 1.... was not long enough for them to figure out how to make things right.

So since I posted these pictures here and on my instagram... initially with out their company name to see if I was making a mountain out of a mole hill...
... and then posting their name after they did not respond to my refusal to their repeat of the $200 with restrictions offer...

So their new stance is “nothing you blasted us on social media” and something about not giving them enough time.

6 weeks lol... not enough time. 6 weeks to get an oem light and 2 weeks of a refund request.

They should have handled this day one... maybe even week one.

Last edited:
This thread and pics should be posted on the other off road forums as well. D.R. has a thread titled crappy fab. These pics defiantly belong there. Not sure you have any legal recourse since McNeil operates out of mexico.

Fifty

I can post them on the Dr crappy fab thread. But besides one other prerunner and a raptor offroad community, I’m not on any other social media.
Feel free to link this and maybe save a life or at the very least some body some money.

jon coleman

im in home remodle industry, it dosnt take much for a stand up co. to go south, theres bad work & then theres dangerous work that gets people hurt. something is really wrong at this particular shop.i ts hard to get your reputation back.hope it all wrks out.go brady12

This company has had a mediocre reputation at best for the last 20 years. There products are bush league at best. I can't believe they haven't been chased out of the off road community. What really amazes me is that they can hold their head high and be proud of their products. Gang of thieves.

If anyone who receives mediocre work done they should put that shop on blast if they can't get anything resolved in a good amount of time. For some reason customers feel obligated to protect these insightful shops. I speak for myself against engage off road I'm glad he's out of business. In doing so we can protect prevent future customers from getting ripped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fifty

A local shop encourages me to do the calm thing. I kept after them until I realized they were full of crap.
There was always an excuse and the story kept changing.
They would go ghost until I hounded them.
I am going to check tomorrow to see if they are even registered to do business in the state of California tomorrow.

Fifty

Sadly they only care about bad press and not about their horrible dangerous work.

I encourage anyone that wants more pictures etc to plum me and I’ll gladly forward them.

Contract your work. Everyone is protected that way. It is the only fair way to do business. I was in the automotive industry for 18 years. If you do a good job and are honest there is no need to rip people off to make a buck. People are willing to part with money for a quality repair, product, etc. Shops like this perpetuate the myth that car guys are liars and thieves. Most of the guys I worked with were honest and willing to take the time to ensure a quality repair.