Crash Tested Designs ???

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
Does any builder or has any builder ever crash tested their design?

It seems that everyone buys an off road truck or buggy and assumes that the design will hold in a crash and is built safe and sound.

Perhaps with these kinds of tests you could even build a lighter car that requires less tubes.

Without crash testing or some other kind of test, can anyone really be sure of how safe their off road truck or car is until you crash? Aside from the SCORE tag of course and I'm not sure how into detail they get aside from checking the thickness and integrity of the welds.

CaptinCrash

Reaction
Racecars are made to win not crash why crash test them

Tucker Conroy
These are my opinions and mine alone

Jangaard

Reaction
I am sure that all manufacturers will do this. Next time you order a trophy truck, pay for it and pay for facility to crash it and then the person who built it would be happy to build you another one and even make changes as you see fit. Once he has made the changes and got the next one done you can pay for it, crash it, and make more changes if you like. Fabricators want their customers to be happy and are very giving.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
I am sure that all manufacturers will do this. Next time you order a trophy truck, pay for it and pay for facility to crash it and then the person who built it would be happy to build you another one and even make changes as you see fit. Once he has made the changes and got the next one done you can pay for it, crash it, and make more changes if you like. Fabricators want their customers to be happy and are very giving.
Obviously and clearly not, however, I believe that some testing should be done especially as companies grow and more and more people are getting into race cars. I'm sure that Ford didn't crash test their cars in the beginning, but as companies grow and the sport grows, wouldn't you want to ensure the integrity of your vehicle and customers?

Funny how you felt the need to give such a ridiculous response to something related to the safety of all of us racing, but who knows, maybe you'll get a few likes on RDC which we all know matters a lot.

Oh what the hell, I'll give you the first like to your comment.

Offspring

Reaction
Automobile industry crash tests for typical highway type crashes involving other cars and objects; off-set head-on, side impact, rear impact, roll-over and non-deformable barriers. Most off-road racing accidents involve none of those issues.

Bdub 1020

Reaction
Where is Pistola , I love his comments when people start threads like this. Its a HOBBY not a professional sport. That would cost more than any builder makes a year and every wreck / crash is different in off road racing. Heck lets get a test dummy and do end over ends , barrel rolls etc in TTs and see how they end up. Seriously brother.

Bdub 1020

Reaction
Your right Jim, Sorry not that I am aware of I think it would be to costly.

JDDurfey

Reaction
So I will ask a follow up question.

Do any of the builders want to inspect their vehicles after a bad crash so they can see what they can improve? And/or do any of the vehicle builders put any sort of warranty on the cage not breaking in the event of a crash.

I understand that vehicle manufacturers do not guarantee the safety of the occupants in the event of a crash, but at the same time they are strictly regulated by the government to provide as safe of a vehicle as possible. And the insurance safety institute also tests the safety of vehicles and reports on it.

12LaPaz

Reaction
Race vehicles of ANY kind are inherently dangerous.

I don't believe that any race car on earth can be guaranteed not to fail at some point.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
Not asking for guarantees or anything like that. I'm aware that it's dangerous.

Allow me to clarify, perhaps some stress tests on the roll cage to understand it more and it's behavior during a crash.

Not saying let's roll a TT, but maybe a chassis for testing purposes. Obviously still thousands of dollars worth, but not half a mill and it might be a good selling point.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
Not asking for guarantees or anything like that. I'm aware that it's dangerous.

Allow me to clarify, perhaps some stress tests on the roll cage to understand it more and it's behavior during a crash.

Not saying let's roll a TT, but maybe a chassis for testing purposes. Obviously still thousands of dollars worth, but not half a mill and it might be a good selling point.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today
The challenge I see with that, is if it isn't full race set up then what are you truly testing? Vehicles, cages and crashes will be different from something simple as fuel load let alone everything else. A vehicle will behave differently if even a hood is not on it.

I completely understand what you are saying however I have seen a "nothing" crash kill an occupant and a car that no one should have walked away from, finish a race. The parameters for off road are so different and nearly impossible to test in my opinion.

I think some manufacturers are fairly active in looking at what their vehicles went through. I have seen Geiser Bros inspecting chassis after accidents at races as well as their shop. I will assume also that Jimco has done similar since Lofton has crash tested more than most of them lately.

Even the professional levels does not do crash testing such as NASCAR. They review after though as a sanction body and make recommendations

David Nehrbass

Motorsports Safety Solutions

D-Munoz1472

Reaction
I think the OP's question is asking about structural testing of the actual chassis not a vehicle as a whole is what it sounds like to me. We all know everything that bolts on can fail and of course everything that bolts on adds more weight and will assist in adding force in a crash but I think the question is directed towards stress testing on just the chassis itself as far as welds, tube diameter and thickness, gussets, tube junctions etc..

Reaction
^^^Isn't that what NASCAR's for???

Chris Tobin

Reaction
The challenge I see with that, is if it isn't full race set up then what are you truly testing? Vehicles, cages and crashes will be different from something simple as fuel load let alone everything else. A vehicle will behave differently if even a hood is not on it.

I completely understand what you are saying however I have seen a "nothing" crash kill an occupant and a car that no one should have walked away from, finish a race. The parameters for off road are so different and nearly impossible to test in my opinion.

I think some manufacturers are fairly active in looking at what their vehicles went through. I have seen Geiser Bros inspecting chassis after accidents at races as well as their shop. I will assume also that Jimco has done similar since Lofton has crash tested more than most of them lately.

Even the professional levels does not do crash testing such as NASCAR. They review after though as a sanction body and make recommendations

David Nehrbass

Motorsports Safety Solutions
David,

I think NASCAR did tons of crash testing in developing the COT (Car Of Tomorrow) cars which the current crop of cars are based on. They have not made significant changes to the cars since their introductions aside from changing to the spoiler from that ricer WING!

green787

Reaction
Jorge, the current design of roll cages IS based on years of "crash testing"......:eek:

Bricoop

Reaction
Jorge, the current design of roll cages IS based on years of "crash testing"......:eek:
Isn't that why all cars go through tech, to ensure they're built to specifications that the industry(or that particular organization) considers safe? They didn't come up with these specs just because they sounded safe. Unfortunately terrible accidents happen, which oftern lead to technical advancement and new standards and requirements. And its not just cages, but gear, fire suppressant systems, fuel cells, et al,

Almost all top professional series or teams crash test their vehicles in addition to making changes based on actual crashes-F1, Nascar and Indy car included. Off-Road is unique as crashes are not nearly as uniform as they are in a series like Nascar so applying a standard forward crash test doesn't make as much sense as your just as likely or more likely to be involved in a roll than running into a wall which abruptly stops you. Additionally these cars are built with crumple zones as most accidents affect the front or rear of the car while off-road accidents can affect just about any part of the car. To my understanding both designs focus on keeping the driver compartment intact in the event of a serious accident and rely on those other things, like 5-point harnesses and Hans devices to keep the occupants safe.