Craziest off road myth, tale, or rumor???

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
What's the craziest myths, tale, or rumor that you've heard about off road racing?

I remember back in the day they used to talk about drivers using night vision to race in the dust and dark.

What do you remember hearing when you were growing up or getting into the sport.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I was once told that the reason Ivan Stewart's hair was white was because he drove so fast at the Baja 500, all the color flowed out of it. And I believe it!

JDDurfey

Reaction
I heard a tale, told by an older racer. Don't know if it is true.

One year Parnelli Jones was the first vehicle into Valley T where he pitted. Some members of another team pulled a prank on him. While Parnelli was pitting, they hauled butt by his pit in a vehicle that looked like it was in the race. When Parnelli left his pit and rounded the first corner there was no dust. He couldn't believe the race car that passed him was going that fast. So he hammered down and ended up blowing up his motor trying to catch the car that passed him. Meanwhile in Valley T, the guys that hauled butt past him, turned down a side street and parked their car, the reason there was no dust to be seen when Parnelli left town!

Like I said, don't know if it is true, but if it is true, it is funny.

Yumaoffroad

Reaction
RUMOR IVAN stewart had pits every 5 miles ? true or fact?

Reaction
That you can make money racing off road?

Curt LeDuc

Reaction
I've heard that if you chase your dreams down the length of Baja the shadows cast by the giant Cardon Cactus will point towards Heaven or Hell. Stay safe my FRENDS!!

swiftracing5

Reaction
I've heard this one from multiple people: the purple elephant at the bridge on hwy 3 before km77.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
Heard of limited classes doing engine swaps after start for a faster/bigger engine and then swapping back before finish line.

dezert_nerd

Reaction
Was once told that Terrible Herbst would buy 300+ BFG Projects before every race season back in the day, can anyone confirm this?

copers

Reaction
Parnelli Jones 14 hours in Baja 1000 Ensenada to La Paz; How can be this possible? Was running on highway? That record is unbelievable for me.

swiftracing5

Reaction
Got another one from my dad: his buddy was prerunning in Baja back in the day and decided to set up camp for the night. They rolled out their sleeping bags no big deal. In the middle of the night he smelled something horrible and his head hurt. He opens his eyes and there is a mountain lion biting his head and he had 4 little puncture wounds on his head. That's usually where the story ends so Im assuming he lived.

burninfuel

Reaction
I know for a fact that Parnelli got a speeding ticket on Cherry ave. in Signal in a heavily modified 4x4 Condor motorhome, single lane each way, with cars parked on both side of the street, 85mph in a 25 zone.
About 1967 for Strop Racing, building sign said Holman/Moody/ Strop

Mark Newhan

Reaction
Was once told that Terrible Herbst would buy 300+ BFG Projects before every race season back in the day, can anyone confirm this?
Can't confirm, but to ad to that... I heard that they used to hide them all the way down the course and mark the locations on the GPS.

jackassracing89

Reaction
Can't confirm, but to ad to that... I heard that they used to hide them all the way down the course and mark the locations on the GPS.
I can add that in 07? we were running a pit and found a new project and rim on the side of the course after a nasty grade hiding behind a large rock. If i remember it was a bryan collins spare

zpoyly

retro-ny
Reaction
i've heard that some racers and team owners cant distinguish the colour orange in the desert...

01_el_tiburon

Bait Fish
Reaction
i heard Fish did the peninsula run without drinking a beer.twice.