• Forum membership has its advantages....

Crazy Bed Bounce on Tundra

chevydude7

Funny vid of the Tundra.

[video=youtube;yrieIkkTx7Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrieIkkTx7Y&feature=related[/video]

michael_loomis

yup.. nothing a tube or two couldnt fix. What is really funny to me, is the first in car shot, the ford guys is fighting for his life, and the tundra guy is simply cruising along... lol

bomber

yup.. nothing a tube or two couldnt fix. What is really funny to me, is the first in car shot, the ford guys is fighting for his life, and the tundra guy is simply cruising along... lol
Fighting for his life? Did you see the 2nd set of in car, watch the Tundra's, Tanner has the wheel turned more than 90 deg left at one point to keep it straight.

michael_loomis

Fighting for his life? Did you see the 2nd set of in car, watch the Tundra's, Tanner has the wheel turned more than 90 deg left at one point to keep it straight.
wooo... one ackward hit that pitched the truck, or constantly seesawing at the wheel? btw... if he turned the wheel that hard for that long, he woulda been off that rumble strip. clever editing.

And Tanner DOES get all the cool jobs!

bomber

wooo... one ackward hit that pitched the truck, or constantly seesawing at the wheel? btw... if he turned the wheel that hard for that long, he woulda been off that rumble strip. clever editing.

And Tanner DOES get all the cool jobs!
He really does, must be tough!

Haha seesawing, that was very minor correcting compared to what he had to do to keep the Tundra on the track with the "awkward hit" which if it drove well probably shouldn't have happened??? Anyway, I'm glad that I don't drive a Jello truck.

michael_loomis

I'm glad that I do! ;)

I mean, do any of us leave our trucks stock anyways?

TauMau

My F-150 is stock with 33s. Running strong for almost as many years as I've been alive! Previously a forestry vehicle.

I probably wouldn't buy a truck if I had to count on upgrades (outside of tires) to make it work. And no one in my family of racers ever adds tubes to our DDs...we're too busy making our racecars go fast.

gabe928

What they didnt show was that two seconds after the video was over the throttle got stuck on the toyota and tanner crashed!

bomber

What they didnt show was that two seconds after the video was over the throttle got stuck on the toyota and tanner crashed!
I think you mean that he took advantage of the 5.7L @ WOT and started drifting it until it ran outta gas (which is the correct way to react to Toy's sticking throttle problem ;))

gabe928

I think you mean that he took advantage of the 5.7L @ WOT and started drifting it until it ran outta gas (which is the correct way to react to Toy's sticking throttle problem ;))
jajaja yea you read my mind

michael_loomis

My F-150 is stock with 33s. Running strong for almost as many years as I've been alive! Previously a forestry vehicle.

I probably wouldn't buy a truck if I had to count on upgrades (outside of tires) to make it work. And no one in my family of racers ever adds tubes to our DDs...we're too busy making our racecars go fast.
Boom! your truck is NOT stock. You DONT have to count on upgrades.. Upgrades are for people who use there trucks, like they are being used in this video. I know cali freeways are bad, but come on!

EXACTLY why he is feeding 90 degrees of input into that wheel. clever editing of the ford biased video. You know damn well he drifted those trucks around (which the Tundra does quite well I might add).

TauMau

Boom! your truck is NOT stock. You DONT have to count on upgrades.. Upgrades are for people who use there trucks, like they are being used in this video. I know cali freeways are bad, but come on!
True, true but I never said Tundras aren't great trucks for the average driver, just that maybe they'd leave a bit to be desired for someone like...me. Or maybe not, I don't know because I've never driven one. But from the video it would appear that they don't have the same structural integrity. I'm sure they're very safe but appear to be less rigid. I'll bet they're both great trucks in their own right...with advantages and disadvantages over one another.

Adding new tires isn't going to do much for that bed jounce though...and is a completely different class of modification than adding material to promote rigidity...which isn't really something I would hope to have on my to do list when buying a vehicle.

I'll swap my 33s for stock any day with no reservations about going down a washboard road...the tires were on the truck when I got it.

michael_loomis

I hear ya. It's definately a little sketchy the way they show it. I do notice that when you see a Tundra on the freeway, the bed has alot more movement than the rest of the truck. I've climbed underneath mine, and the box frame rail stops at about the mid point, and the rear section is C channel, but its got a second layer of metal on the top and bottom, inside the actual frame rail.

I have 35's on my truck, and they are heavy mudder type tires. I noticed that the rotational weight, has indeed dampened the choppy feeling you get on the freeway sometimes. Still get it, but not as bad as stock. Aftermarket shocks should alleviate the remainder.

Why is it built like this? Well... IMO, the truck is over built in OTHER arena's for a half ton truck, take the 10.5" rear end for example. same size as found in most 3/4 and 1 ton trucks! Big 14" front brakes. Makes a great tow vehicle. Knowing how Toyota is, and trying to keep the Tundra from feeling like a huge rigid truck, and more of that comfort they are familiar with, they designed the frame to have a torsional effect. Optimal for high speed off road? not so much.

bomber

Loomis, I drive from SD to Irvine and back 2-3 times a weeks so I'm on the freeway a lot and have observed that of all the 1/2 ton trucks out there right now, the Tundra is by far the worst in frame rigidity (or lack thereof!). I would imagine Toyota did not intend this frame flexing to be an effect of on road comfort, but rather wanted to save money on the frames by using less material or maybe it was determined by other factors in the design. The suspension is supposed to provide comfort, control, and load support, and should have been the primary focus when it came to deciding how to handle these elements.

Bottom line is the Tundra is a nice truck, but its frame was not well designed and gives the impression it is not as strong as the F-150's.

BTW, this is a pretty old video. There are more complete videos that show other trucks being tested at Ford's Silver Creek track. The newest Dodge Ram got pretty squirrely and started to swap on the roughest part of the track. Luckily, Tanner was still driving the trucks for the test :D.

bomber

now lets see the video of how many times fords are in the shop compared to toyotas
You'd probably see way more of them getting worked on since they outsell the Tundra by more than 4 times as many units? Last year there were 79,385 Tundras sold in the US versus 413,625 F-150's sold in the US. Oops, I meant outsell by more than 5 times.

And right now you'd see more Tundra's getting worked on with the record recall going on. Loomis, you take yours in yet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Tundra

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series

michael_loomis

Loomis, I drive from SD to Irvine and back 2-3 times a weeks so I'm on the freeway a lot and have observed that of all the 1/2 ton trucks out there right now, the Tundra is by far the worst in frame rigidity (or lack thereof!). I would imagine Toyota did not intend this frame flexing to be an effect of on road comfort, but rather wanted to save money on the frames by using less material or maybe it was determined by other factors in the design. The suspension is supposed to provide comfort, control, and load support, and should have been the primary focus when it came to deciding how to handle these elements.

Bottom line is the Tundra is a nice truck, but its frame was not well designed and gives the impression it is not as strong as the F-150's.

BTW, this is a pretty old video. There are more complete videos that show other trucks being tested at Ford's Silver Creek track. The newest Dodge Ram got pretty squirrely and started to swap on the roughest part of the track. Luckily, Tanner was still driving the trucks for the test :D.
The point your missing is that its built like a 3/4 ton. How many leaf sprung 3/4 tons have a plush ride?