Crew member injured at the 500

MAC56

Reaction
With all the talk about the accident with the fuel system to worries me that little interest in the poor mans health as come up.
I for one hope he is receiving proper treatment.

Rslhc

Reaction
No talk on his progress. Also no info on the driver or codriver of the TT that sustained burns. Never heard how he was? Anyone know?

mgobaja

Reaction
TT driver that was burned was in the hospital as of a few days ago, and had been through skin graft surgery on his foot / feet.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
So why so hush hush? Trying to respect the families privacy? I get that if so but inquiring minds want to know.

Honda48X

Reaction
Can someone find the link to the go-fund me for this injured person? I thought I saw the link somewhere on one of the topics.

johndjmix

Reaction
Every time there is some sort of an accident everyone says “this isn’t the time to talk about the problem that caused it and how to make it safer”. Then months go by and it gets forgotten. When is the time?

I hope for a speedy recovery for those involved here and that we all develop a protocol for talking about accidents and making our sport safer.

—job.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Not just that, but everyone involved with the sport should have proper health insurance at a minimum. Even if you are just going to pit for a buddy.

MTPyle

Reaction
We have tried to come up with ways to get our guys extra insurance but its hard. We have an umbrella policy but someone would have to sue us for liability before that would matter.

All of our guys have health insurance and I have already agreed to pay any out of pocket expenses for my team if they get hurt racing with us. Which is odd to me that team like Ampudia has a guy doing fund raisers for medical expenses. Do these guys not have insurance at all?

For me it would be too risky to have a team member without their own health insurance.

Mike

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Especially a team that can afford to race a Trophy Truck. A catastrophic medical policy isn't that expensive, but many insurance companies would balk at paying out if the racing team was racing for money and the crew member was injured doing 'work' for the team. That is why I made my tongue in cheek workman's comp statement. Doubt it matters in Mexico, but in the states, I think a lawyer would eat up a team owner who had an injured crew member and did not provide coverage of some sort.

MTPyle

Reaction
would be good to hear from a insurance expert on this. But if they are volunteers like our guys are its impossible to have workers comp or company insurance. At least thats how I understand it.

Mike

MTPyle

Reaction
Green, not sure why this video is relevant to the thread? Maybe you meant to post this in the PP thread?

I just reached out to a friend that owns X Insurance, they do higher risk insurance for all sorts of odd cases. I will talk to them about a program for race teams. They may even be interested in insuring race and support vehicles for transport into Mexico. But I first asked them about injury insurance for team members. They are going to meet about it and get back to me.

Mike

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
Reaction
If you are crew for an Ultra4 team, or any crew at a race sanctioned by USAC, you have medical and legal liability insurance.

USAC has tried to work with other series but got shot down becuase of the cost.

We charge $5 an event for crew insurance on top of the entry fee...usually totals $25.

Just saying there are solutions out there.

Dave

y2kbaja

Reaction
It reads as though they knew from the beginning that he had no insurance. Incident happened 9/26 and gofundme started 9/27.