• Forum membership has its advantages....

CRF 450RX in Baja

stewwalker

We are gearing up for our trip to the 500. We won’t be racing, but prerun sections of the corse and “adventure”ride for 10 days before the race. I picked up a 450RX this year, and we are debating on outfitting it for the trip. My main concern is fuel mileage. I’ve searched for concrete answers, but so far I’ve been getting a wide range of numbers when it comes to expected MPG out of the RX. Some say 15 mpg, some say 30.

Anyone have first hand experience with the RX in open desert? I’m hoping for a 75-85 mile range out of the 3 gallon IMS tank.

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert mobile app

motoman29

all depends on "you" and your gearing.

any bike can get 80 miles out of a 3 gallon tank if geared and ridden properly.

14/47 and shift up, you should have no issues.

i have seen guys get 30 miles out of 2 gallons because they were squids

Chew369

I have raced my RX in BITD races with the IMS 3 Gallon tank and you will get 80-90 out of it no problem. For gearing I was running 14/45 and it would run 14/44 no problem to hit high 90mph range.

BGRANT

all depends on "you" and your gearing.

any bike can get 80 miles out of a 3 gallon tank if geared and ridden properly.

14/47 and shift up, you should have no issues.

i have seen guys get 30 miles out of 2 gallons because they were squids
Mark knows.Take this advice.

stewwalker

Ran the numbers at the MX track this weekend. On a track we were getting 25mpg. Now 80 miles out of 3 gallons seems easy.

JDDurfey

I personally would not go to Baja without a range of 100 miles. During the races we had pits every 50 miles, but while pre-running we had to go much farther at times. I have carried as much as 3 gallons of gas in my backpack before. That sucked, so I stopped every 10 miles and poured some in the tank.

stewwalker

We will have a chase truck with plenty of fuel. I've planned our routes so we shouldn't have to go any further than 65 miles without hitting a Pemex or fuel stops at the truck.

We will have a chase truck with plenty of fuel. I've planned our routes so we shouldn't have to go any further than 65 miles without hitting a Pemex or fuel stops at the truck.

Ahhhh.... Your mileage calculation is bullshix. I have experienced it first hand. " Ah guys go hit this 8 mile loop" 8 miles ended up being 28.

JDDurfey

Like I said, unless you are racing, I wouldn't go without at least an 80 mile range, but 100 miles is much wiser.

I like the Prestone bottle trick too, and have used it. The time I carried 3 gallons, I was Pre-running on my KX 500. I had a 4 gallon tank on it, but my jetting was off and I was guzzling gas. I put a 2 gallon can of gas in the bottom of my backpack, and a 1 gallon can on top. I slid my tools and parts in around the cans.

Just another day of adventure in Baja.

stewwalker

Ahhhh.... Your mileage calculation is bullshix. I have experienced it first hand. " Ah guys go hit this 8 mile loop" 8 miles ended up being 28.
I've learned my lesson the hard way. 4 mile loop is actually 12 miles, in the dark, with no headlight...

Going to log some more numbers at the track and see if mileage gets any worse or better.

Baja Dad

I have first hand experience with the RX in open desert

Use 15/47 gearing with a good O-ring chain
Use the IMS 3gal Fuel tank
Use a Complete Seat Concepts Sport/race seat
Use IMS Core foot pegs
Use Baja Pits ( 50 to 55 miles apart)

you will have a blast

stewwalker

I have first hand experience with the RX in open desert

Use 15/47 gearing with a good O-ring chain
Use the IMS 3gal Fuel tank
Use a Complete Seat Concepts Sport/race seat
Use IMS Core foot pegs
Use Baja Pits ( 50 to 55 miles apart)

you will have a blast
Planning on running 14/47, but 15/47 might be an option

3gal tank is on order

Seat concepts is on order ( suede was tempting)

Stock foot pegs work well for me

Not racing, prerunning and exploring only. Longest section without fuel is 70 miles.

Testing suspension this weekend. Went with a softer spring in the front and 330cc of oil.