CRF 450X - 2007 v. 2008 v. 2009

ILoveAsianDirtyBirds

Reaction
I'm getting close to buying a new 450X and would like to get some feedback on model year differences (that really matter.)

I plan to do plenty of upgrades, including but not limited to suspension re-valve, triple clamps, bar, and stabilizer.

I'm trying to figure out if it is going to make a material difference on the end result if I start with a new 2007 v. 2008 or 2009. I think that the 2009 bike has some built-in steering dampening, although I suspect that wouldn't relieve the need for a GPR or Scotts unit.

Is there any major items I need to consider here, because I might pull the trigger on the 2007 if I can get a deep discount, basically $6k @ OTD in LA.

Thanks.

Gonzo 5/1600

Reaction
I have a 2008 CRF450X, which is identical to the 2009 except for the color of the rear fender (09 is white). The 08, and 09 have 22mm tripples, and the built in steering damper which isn't very helpfull... The 07 has the 24mm tripples, and no steering damper. This being said my Dad has the 07 and I don't really feel a difference between his bike and mine.

Hope this helps!

referman

Reaction
I'm getting close to buying a new 450X and would like to get some feedback on model year differences (that really matter.)

I plan to do plenty of upgrades, including but not limited to suspension re-valve, triple clamps, bar, and stabilizer.

I'm trying to figure out if it is going to make a material difference on the end result if I start with a new 2007 v. 2008 or 2009. I think that the 2009 bike has some built-in steering dampening, although I suspect that wouldn't relieve the need for a GPR or Scotts unit.

Is there any major items I need to consider here, because I might pull the trigger on the 2007 if I can get a deep discount, basically $6k @ OTD in LA.

Thanks.

I was with JC down in MXico last month and he said the '07 thru 2010 CRF-450X bikes had no changes at all. They run the same frame, motor, suspension, everything. Maybe a slight color difference or cosmetics but other than that, it's the same bike. Hope that helps.

LVJames...:D:D:D:D

dirtdudeaz

Reaction
all of those are good years. I have an 05. Thing is a beast.

Go for which one you can get a good deal on and well taken care of. Probably a 07 08

ILoveAsianDirtyBirds

Reaction
thanks for all the feedback.

i'm locked and loaded on the 2007 450x. cashier's check in hand, no sleep tonight.

first mods...works connection plate and engine guards...should be enough for the break-in.

super stoked! :D

teamgreen

Reaction
JC was mis-quoted: '07 has 24mmm off-set, no dampner and there are a few other in-significant changes between it and the '08/'09 (Only the White Plastic is different between these two).

There is NO 2010.

motoman29

Reaction
skip the WC skid plate.

they are a PITA to put on, and make oil changes difficult!

WC makes great stuff, but the 450x skidplate is not user friendly.

motoman29

Reaction
Hey Dirty Dirty,

are you pre running red, or sticking to green?

Olivia will be down prerunning Nov 1 through the race. She wants to hook up and ride with you.

JohnnyAirtime

Reaction
Website
Cancer-RideForLife.com
skip the WC skid plate.

they are a PITA to put on, and make oil changes difficult!

WC makes great stuff, but the 450x skidplate is not user friendly.

Skip not only the skidplate, but their radiator braces. :mad:

... lots of info; CRF450X - ThumperTalk
(just use the search button!!)