• Forum membership has its advantages....

Cross Link Suspension - It's New - Comments and discussion invited

jon coleman

build a see thru scale model in action, like those model car v8 engines that u can see every thing working in slo mo, valves, crank, pistons.cant wait for the testing vids,

Wicked Al

Great show! Nothing but positive comments, even had a couple of people tell me it was the most innovative thing they saw there. It did what I wanted and that was to start the conversation with the OEMs. When I visited the Yamaha booth and Invited them over to see the suspension I got the usual, yeah, yeah reaction, then I got one to come over and his tone changed. Honda was all over it taking pictures before I arrived the first show day then at different times over the weekend I had a couple of people in “normal street clothes asking me some pointed questions on, turns out they were suspension engineers from Honda...works for me! :)

Big Change! All of this scrutiny by the bigs boys made me think, hard, so I improved the design...significantly. All of the same benefits were there, but how it is accomplished has changed, not only is it simpler, it is now something I can make for the aftermarket and it easily translates to the automotive market. More patents, more prototypes, but this is going to be so cool, I can’t wait!

If anyone knows anyone in the suspension business, I can use a partner to get this completed and /or investor.
8900B667-FC2C-4F27-A47E-3E0885454C2F.jpeg

Wicked Al

Have you had a chance to test it out yet? The concept is really cool.
Thanks! Once we get back from the show, take a few days to rest and recoup, then it’s test time. I designed it such that I can fully remove this system and put the stock one back on. We’ll be able to get baseline data and Cross Link data to compare against...should be fun!

Wicked Al

whats next, men in black wisking you off to an interigation spot in some secret location:D , sounds like it got Lottsa atention, now its time to test!!!
I am now just a tad bit more paranoid. :) Testing is next on the agenda right after some down time.

jon coleman

instead of push-pull links, would bellcranks& cables work?, more options in the routing- geometry, leveraging, ect.just a thought....

Wicked Al

Who is going to SEMA?

Ok, another big step done!
Cross Link 1.0 - Pure mechanical linkage to auto balance (anti dive, anti lift, improved angles for climbing, descending and side hilling) the vehicle and provide full articulation and full anti roll. (and all kinds of other benefits)
Cross Link 2.0 - Same capabilities as 1.0 but minus the mechanical linkage, uses hydraulics
Cross Link 3.0! That's right...3 point Oh! Same capabilities as 1.0/2.0 but now all of the linkage and the extra balancing shocks have been condensed into just four shocks!

Originally I had designed a suspension system that was unique only by how it was connected, rods, pivots and shocks were all standard fare. 3.0 changes things. The shocks have been redesigned to be able to do everything the mechanical system did along with the balancing and load sharing the extra shocks did, all of that and you don't need sway bars. This will make a good upgrade and will do great for the aftermarket too.

This changes my target market a little. Initially I was looking to license to the OEMs and custom vehicle fabricators as it had to be designed into the chassis from the get go. It is still a license property, but now it's all in for the shock manufacturers. The patents have been filed for the improvements.

My attorney says it's ok to share the info now as they have ways to handle it if someone decides to produce without an agreement, so here it is!

If you know someone who makes shocks, an intro would be appreciated, feel free to forward this info. I have a long...and short list, of companies to visit at SEMA and AAPEX so I expect to be busy, but the more introductions the better in my book. Feel free to comment and question away!

Thanks!

PS. Yes, there are still more mods to make, I'm working on them, but this gets you 95% of the way there.

You can also follow me on my FB page at Kolltek...and You Tube, same name. I'll get others soon enough.

Floating Shock pg1.jpg
Floating Shock pg2.jpg

jon coleman

so the shocks in between2.0 ( links), are an accumulator, that should be easy, hose clamp it anywhere, run some hyd.lines, done.on the 3.0, are there 2 seperate nitrogen resovoirs per shock?, That is the hot ticket, true bolt on easy!

Wicked Al

so the shocks in between2.0 ( links), are an accumulator, that should be easy, hose clamp it anywhere, run some hyd.lines, done.on the 3.0, are there 2 seperate nitrogen resovoirs per shock?, That is the hot ticket, true bolt on easy!
In 2.0, the link has been replaced with a hydraulic piston to move the force from one shock to the other. If one shock compresses, the others also compress. In 3.0, in order to get rid of the center shock I had to transfer it's capabilities to the wheel shock. I took the spring, divided the rate in half and moved that to the wheel shock. I then took the hydraulic piston and put it on top of the corner shock...it can use the same cylinder and same fluid actually. The piston can't have valving because it has to transfer the movement, so I put a valve inline with the flow between the two shared pistons. What you end up with is three valves per pair of shocks. One valve each per wheel and one to control the top section of both wheels. The valve per wheel is set to handle the spring rate for compression and rebound, the valve for the top section is set to handle a spring rate that is twice as strong (it is in series with two shocks) and it has a slower rebound to counter that larger spring rate. Only one Nitrogen reservoir per shock. So this ends up with two layers of compression and rebound valving regardless of where the shock is in the stroke. This keeps the tire in contact with the ground more and still keeps from excessive rebound. The seven shock system is similar except it has three layers of compression and rebound valving.

"...bolt on easy" was the goal! :D

Wicked Al

3.0 is functionally the same as the Kenetic system I posted earlier minus the accumulators.
The similarity is in the diagonal connection with hydraulic rams. Everything else their system does is not part of my system and my system does a lot more that the Kinetic system doesn't come close to. I spent a little more time with their patent just to make sure I had a better understanding of it, but yeah, very different systems though visually, that diagonal and ram set up is similar.

Interestingly enough, after I first posted my system on FB I was contacted by a prior employee of Kinetic, we had a good chat. Very interesting the background and different vehicles it was put on, or slated to go on. There are definitely some good ideas they had, but still had further to go.

partybarge_pilot

It was too bad they were gobbled up by Tenco, they were doing some pretty cool stuff for racing. After the buyout it all got burried.

jon coleman

cant u just run two shocks per wheel ( standard set up, coil over/ bypass shock)to Really dial it in, also , is the 3.0 One oil supply?, ie, any oil leak& whole system is down?, w extra , seperate , back up shock, ( coilover)you can limp it to the finish line

Bert is my name

Looks like the old citroen system. Just 50 years later and long travel. Not trying to talk crap. But this is old tech. With newer shocks at each corner.