Cross Link Suspension - It's New - Comments and discussion invited

jon coleman

Reaction
question, at full slamm bump, how does rebound damping work?, i know basics of a bypass shock, but how does all the different shocks work at a ' by pass type of rebound??, this set up when set up right is gonna be sumfin' else!!

jon coleman

Reaction
i figured it it out, the progressive linkage that does the re bound action, like pro- link in a honda cr mx bike....i think...

Wicked Al

Reaction
i figured it it out, the progressive linkage that does the re bound action, like pro- link in a honda cr mx bike....i think...

You can parallel any of the coilovers to add a bypass, but as coilovers only, here is how rebound works. You set up the corner shocks to rebound quick. You set up the center shocks to rebound slow, after all, these shocks are twice as strong so a slower rebound would be appropriate too. This is what happens, you have two different rebound rates regardless of how deep you are into the stroke. Even at full bump,where normally the shock is set at slow rebound, this will have the lighter outside shock rebounding quickly to keep the tire in contact with the ground while the heavier center shock is rebounding slower to keep from launching or kicking the vehicle. Without bypass shocks, it should still perform quite well.

Wicked Al

Reaction
so heat dissipation will be better, from spreading way out damping dutys it looks like:D
Yes, it should be improved, three dampers per pair of wheels along with a bit of tubing with a lot of surface area going diagonal across the vehicle...should be good!

Wicked Al

Reaction
Improvements have been made! Better road manners and crazy articulation plus a smooth ride over the rough stuff. I have a few more changes I’m going to make which should make it better for anti-roll, ant-lift, but a small decrease in articulation (it’ll be worth it). Once I’m happy, I’ll do another video.
IMG-2449.jpg
IMG-2456.jpg

Last edited:

jon coleman

Reaction
can an adjustable on the fly linkage ratio adjuster work?, like the sway& pan hard barr adjusters on road race cars?

Wicked Al

Reaction
can an adjustable on the fly linkage ratio adjuster work?, like the sway& pan hard barr adjusters on road race cars?
I have to be honest, not sure what you're asking here. What on the suspension are you looking to adjust?

I do have an assortment of different concepts I've been playing with to make adjustments from the drivers seat. I'm trying not to pay them any heed until I get this one sorted out.

The big one that has my attention is Kolltek Cross Link 4.0. 3.0 is a great product and I need to move it out to market, but 4.0...wow. There will be some work involved to get it dialed in but the concept has a lot of potential as long as reality doesn't rear it's ugly head.

Did I ever mention I had issues with squirrels?

jon coleman

Reaction
going from full rock crawling leveraging to hi speed more stable, , i guess standard sway bars are still utilized?

Wicked Al

Reaction
love to see this on a full size , 39-40",big shox, v8, ect, bet koh doods by eyeballn' this stuff!!!!🤩
That would be cool. I have other drivetrain concepts I want to develop and really build an Extreme Terrain Vehicle. Idea rich, cashola poor. When I get this thing out to market, I’ll have some real cool stuff to build. This is gonna be fun!

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Wow! That is some great articulation. Some GoPro's mounted on the car aimed on each shock would be neat to see overlayed with the outside footage. It was very neat to see the two rear shocks working. Does it retain good handling outside the rock-crawling situation with the new springs?

Wicked Al

Reaction
Wow! That is some great articulation. Some GoPro's mounted on the car aimed on each shock would be neat to see overlayed with the outside footage. It was very neat to see the two rear shocks working. Does it retain good handling outside the rock-crawling situation with the new springs?

Funny story. I had GoPros mounted on the RZR...forgot to turn them on. :D

The road handling is excellent. Took a 35mph corner at 50-55. Has very little lift when on the gas from a standstill. The front end still dips on the brakes, but not terrible. All of these are better than stock. I just made a change on the front shocks which improved the anti-roll.

In other news, as this is all practical testing to get a good set up on KCL 1.0. I have improved the KCL 3.0 set up. Let's call it KCL 4.0. With this configuration you can change the ratio of corner wheel movement versus the center shock movement. You can also lower the vehicle. You can also have manual adjusters for the compression and rebound in the cab. Add some electronics and it can all be done remotely with buttons or sensors.

To make matters worse, I have whispers of KCL 5.0 dancing in my head. Really? Can I please make some money off of any of the previous ones first??? Squirrels!

Video Drop Kolltek 1.jpg

MTPyle

Reaction
Looks cool. It would be interesting to see a stock vehicle do the same maneuvers to get a comparison.

Mike

Wicked Al

Reaction
Looks cool. It would be interesting to see a stock vehicle do the same maneuvers to get a comparison.

Mike
Hello Mike,

It is on the agenda to do that. I can tell you that the pavement section will be very close one way or the other. The offroad section won't even compare. The new design we'll be building here shortly will improve both the on and offroad manners. Only advanced systems will be able to come close (read $$$). I try to say that as objectively and with as little ego as possible though I have to be seen as a biased perspective. :D