Crossing a Mexican built race car

SCastro619

Reaction
I am considering buying a 5/1600 that was built in Mexicali and crossing it into the US. The current owner has 0 documentation for the vehicle. I am planning on filling out a bill of sale provided by the DMV. Does anyone know if this will get me through the border? Or if I need any additional documentation?

Thank you,

R. Gross

Reaction
Another thing to consider, is if you plan on racing it in the US series such as SNORE or MORE, make sure it is class legal. Last time I was down there and watched the cars in staging a percentage were not legal since they were not being raced in the US. Some of the mods were to a point of no return where it would probably cost too much to return to legal. Good luck and come race BAP in October.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
I vote you just jump the border with it, old school Laughlin leap

1630081351208.png

Josh 8

Reaction
Do you know anyone with a Mac and some artistic software & good printer? I am pretty sure either side has no idea what’s registered on the other side…

So knowing that, mixed with some creativity, you could have any type of paper work you could possibly need. 🤔🤔🤔😉😉😉😉

Just remember to use it in the “other” country only!

I had a “friend” that did this for a while going south because he didn’t have any paperwork on his class 8. Then he finally got it registered in Montana and got legit. Once or twice though it got confusing and he had to remember to not show the paperwork coming back into the u.s. because it was Cali paperwork and the boarder patrol could spot this easily because they are tied into the CA system. When “he or they” crossed back, us customs never gave “them” a hard time. But his name was on the side of the race car and the tow vehicle was registered to the same name too. This made it look right.

Last edited:

David K

Reaction
The U.S. border guards, as you enter the U.S., do not (typically) ask about what you are pulling. The only interest is contraband items (including: illegal drugs, forbidden fruit, pork, raw chicken, eggs). See the CBP (Customs and Border Protection) website.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Website
www.racers-only.com
In 2016 I had absolutely NO problems (or questions) about bringing the Ivan Stewart Toyota over the border into the United States from Mexico. Going INTO Mexico is a totally different story. I havent done it lately but any time I've come back over the border with a race car, RZR or prerunner the US side has zero questions on what im hauling. Hope that helps. Rory

BajaboundMoto

Reaction
Website
bajaboundmoto.com
Will it be on a trailer?
If on trailer it's 99.9% a non-issue, you won't be asked by US agents for proof of ownership.
Even if you are asked just tell them the truth, that it's your race car and it's not registered at all because it's a race car.
When we have dirt bikes on trailers sometimes I'm asked. "do you have registration on the motorcycles?" My reply is "yes" and no more questions and they don't ask for the papers.
I cross a lot with buggies and have never been asked.
I crossed yesterday with a buggy, brand new beautiful build from ROMO in Mexicali, and it says on the side Rodriguez in giant letters. I obviously do not look like a Rodriguez.
When asked if I'm bringing anything back I answered that "I have some brand new race car parts still in the boxes for the race car". No further questions, on my way, easy peasy.

On a funny but similar note , last summer I hauled 8 UTVs northbound for a company going out of business. I was a full on junk show! Sometimes 2 on a trailer and me solo, parts and spares stacked everywhere... on the trailer, under the utv's, utv's missing bodies and wheels, parts to the roof inside the cars with only the window nets keeping the parts inside. Beverly Hillbillies style.
Never a single question.

Last edited:

motoman29

Reaction
Will it be on a trailer?
If on trailer it's 99.9% a non-issue, you won't be asked by US agents for proof of ownership.
Even if you are asked just tell them the truth, that it's your race car and it's not registered at all because it's a race car.
When we have dirt bikes on trailers sometimes I'm asked. "do you have registration on the motorcycles?" My reply is "yes" and no more questions and they don't ask for the papers.
I cross a lot with buggies and have never been asked.
I crossed yesterday with a buggy, brand new beautiful build from ROMO in Mexicali, and it says on the side Rodriguez in giant letters. I obviously do not look like a Rodriguez.
When asked if I'm bringing anything back I answered that "I have some brand new race car parts still in the boxes for the race car". No further questions, on my way, easy peasy.

On a funny but similar note , last summer I hauled 8 UTVs northbound for a company going out of business. I was a full on junk show! Sometimes 2 on a trailer and me solo, parts and spares stacked everywhere... on the trailer, under the utv's, utv's missing bodies and wheels, parts to the roof inside the cars with only the window nets keeping the parts inside. Beverly Hillbillies style.
Never a single question.
It's because of who you are ;)

bajarex1600

Reaction
I am considering buying a 5/1600 that was built in Mexicali and crossing it into the US. The current owner has 0 documentation for the vehicle. I am planning on filling out a bill of sale provided by the DMV. Does anyone know if this will get me through the border? Or if I need any additional documentation?

Thank you,
You are fine. But if you plan in going into Mexico later I would get some docs and register it as an off highway vehicle. You will get a green sticker from the DMV and a small plate/tag from the highway patrol I believe. With these you will have zero issues going into Mexico and coming back to the US. Race cars and parts zero issues crossing into the US but into Mexico it gets more complicated.