• Forum membership has its advantages....

Crossing in Tecate

Dhigbee

We are thinking of crossing over in Tecate and coming back through there as well for the 1K We came through there after the TJ race and it was fast and easy. Anything to be concerned with going into Baja at that crossing. We don't have a trailer, just a dually with a flatbed. Thanks for any info.

Bro_Gill

I have breezed right through at Tecate and spent hours on the hill at Tecate. You never know which way that border crossing is going to go. And yes, you can cross there but any trailer longer than about 24 feet requires pain and suffering going through if they won't open the commercial gate for you.

mattb

I usually try to use Tecate if it is possible. At the 500 I had a multi hour wait, but to me, I’d rather wait there than in the TJ multi lane auto exhaust and all around chaos.

AZFR8TRAIN

I have crossed there many times. I for sure recommend coming out of Mexico there versus. TJ. But I will say the only place we have been shaken down for um taxes ha is at Tecate. Charged for extra spare tires and a transmission this has happened a few times there I use otay when going into Mexico now but Tecate back to good ol USA

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

redline

If you have spare parts or tires I would reccomend against going into mex through tecate! Coming home though is usually a choice.

johndjmix

Took less than 5 minutes to cross with truck and trailer at San ysidro yesterday afternoon....

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Stuck Sucks

Heads-up: I was talking to a friend today in San Felipe, he just drove down there via Tecate. He said the Highway 2 toll road is under construction between Tecate and Rumorosa, much of it is single track and it took him two hours to cover that section.

az_amsoil

I always cross at Tecate when going to Ensenada. Coming back can be very long waits, since I have Sentri pass, I go through Mexicali now.

AZ7000'

I always cross at Tecate when going to Ensenada. Coming back can be very long waits, since I have Sentri pass, I go through Mexicali now.
What’s the walking situation in Mexicali for my non sentri amigos? Commercial looks like no wait for walkers.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

az_amsoil

What’s the walking situation in Mexicali for my non sentri amigos? Commercial looks like no wait for walkers.
Never had a walker when crossing at Mexicali; after the border, its a little walk over to the gas station. At the 500, it took us almost an hour to go through the Sentri lane at the eastern crossing...not sure what was going on, but once we got close it was like they opened up a couple more lanes and we moved right through.

mattb

i know they **** down 3 lanes today to install some sort of barrier and barbed wire. It may be smart to look at other options beyond TJ, that’s for sure.

notime

NTR Films media guy
Walking on the new border it’s like half mile thru gas station and zero wait time, on the old border got more people and waits can be almost an hour.

On the toll road from tecate going west, yes construction stills, traffic it’s moving but not worth paying the toll, better take the free road to la rumosora it’s fast and flows better.

Sent from my iPad using race-deZert

McCredie A

I have towed prerunners out of Mexicali and tecate.

Travisfab

You can go in and out of Tecate just like San Ysidro with trailers, etc. Don't even try to cross a trailer, and vehicle (on the trailer) without a copy of the registration in hand. A copy of the pink slips are also handy. When going in, if you have any new items still in the packaging, take them out of the packaging and throw some dirt on them. Expect the unexpected, it's never consistent at any border!