• Forum membership has its advantages....

Crossing in Tecate

TecateRay

We had to pay taxes on TT tires in Mexicali this weekend. The race truck went to Ensenada and we went to San Felipe to head to our pit. We had copies of the race registration, etc. but the Mexican officials said we needed to cross the tires with the truck or pay the taxes. We paid.

Zambo

On the way back today, we got to Tecate and loaded our UTVs up on trailers, then I checked the border wait times on the internet. It said 2 hours at Tecate and 45 minutes in Otay Mesa. So we drove to Otay. When we got close, I got on weatherman and asked about the border wait. Someone in line said they had been waiting over 4 hours and still couldn't see the crossing. So we went back to Tecate and waited 90 minutes in line to cross.

BTW the last couple times I've checked the border wait via the official site it hasn't been even remotely accurate.

TecateRay

On the way back today, we got to Tecate and loaded our UTVs up on trailers, then I checked the border wait times on the internet. It said 2 hours at Tecate and 45 minutes in Otay Mesa. So we drove to Otay. When we got close, I got on weatherman and asked about the border wait. Someone in line said they had been waiting over 4 hours and still couldn't see the crossing. So we went back to Tecate and waited 90 minutes in line to cross.

BTW the last couple times I've checked the border wait via the official site it hasn't been even remotely accurate.
The official border times are obviously meant to make their stats look good. No relationship to reality.
We crossed in Tecate Saturday afternoon, two hour wait, but the line wasn’t that long, just extra slow. Seems like there was a medical emergency that required a life flight, not sure why things got so delayed but that might be what happened.

az_amsoil

i know they **** down 3 lanes today to install some sort of barrier and barbed wire. It may be smart to look at other options beyond TJ, that’s for sure.
Me and my buddy were both pulled to secondary crossing into Mexico (we both go the Green light at the border). We had to pull multiple bins and remove covers to prove we were "camping" for the Baja Mille. Then again at eh highway 3/5 checkpoint, a little less inspection, but much more than the 15 years I've been going down. Coincidence? I don't think so, but whatever, I had a great time. AND Sentri pass was 27 minutes back across on Saturday.

az_amsoil

Apps said 10 minutes when we crossed at Mexicali on Saturday...took us 25-30 minutes (Sentri Lane). At the 500, app said 5 minutes and it took about an hour, not sure why. But yeah, the app and reality are off!

fishd00d

What A Joke
I went down for prerunning and contingency. Prerunning we came back and our driver had Sentri and we did not, we jumped out of the car and he was across in 15 min, the walk across took us an hour at San Yisdro!!! Not sure what was up as an hour to walk across seems unusual.

Contingency day coming back home around noon, SY said 70min and Tecate said 10min. We went to Tecate and it took about 25min.

MikeLeung

The Border Wait app is useless.

Ive been using Google maps for the wait times...its way more accurate

RYAN COHEE

We crossed Sat night wait was around 2 hours and the Mc cops were having a prosperous evening in Tacate

motoman29

4 mins at SENTRI San Ysidro on Sat AM. Only one car in front of me and they didn't have it, so they got booted to secondary. Otherwise it may have been less than 1 min!!! I love SENTRI!

Zambo

Is that what happens if you go through sentri without the creds? You go to secondary? Hmmm

johndjmix

Coming back from the 1000, San ysidro, it took 4.5 hours. Longest wait I’ve ever had.

—John

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

AZ7000'

Honda48X

Is that what happens if you go through sentri without the creds? You go to secondary? Hmmm
We got in that lane by accident a couple years ago at Mexicali east and were sent directly to secondary to only wait and wait for over an hour. Not a good idea. Best to actually have the pass or else plan on waiting an hour or more in secondary.

Zambo

Yeah but an hour in secondary is better than four hours in the other lanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DTA 55

We have it on my truck, the wife’s Touareg, and the motorhome. No inspection. The rules have changed

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app
I think he is saying you cant tow anything in the sentri line.

Also as far as I know, no RVs in sentri either.

If you have documentation that says otherwise please post.

DTA 55

Yeah but an hour in secondary is better than four hours in the other lanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At their option CBP can fine you for using the lane without cred. They can also turn you around and worst of all they can deny a future application for sentri if you have violated in the past.

Please dont do this, it fucks it up for the rest of us in the sentri line.

Its $100 for 5 years for global. Just get it and dont be a donkey.

Sentri guys dont mess around, my buddy has a green card and sentri. Been over many times with him without his green card and just the sentri card. Last time we went he got sent to secondary and was given options, pay $600 and they look him up in the system to confirm who he is (est. 2 hours), or I drive to oceanside to get his green card and drive it back. I went to get his green card.

Best thing is just have every document for entry, (person, bike, car, prerunner, trailer etc)

The worst part of it all, the very first time he used sentri the CBP agent told him NOT to bring his green card and just the sentri was fine since if he lost his green card in baja he would be SOL for a while.

Last edited:

Zambo

Yeah I'm not about to start doing that and sorry if joking about it wasn't obvious. I'd get Sentri in a heartbeat but most of the time I'm towing a trailer when i go down there.