Crown Vic

gpbullock

Reaction
Would the motor and transmission from a 97 Crown Vic Police Interceptor be a decent powerplant for a truggy style prerunner? I'm not really sure what's in it but I got it cheap and am considering parting it out and using the drivetrain in a project I'm working on.

Tom_Willis

Reaction
A motor from a former police car has typically been run hot, and left idling for hours, or started up and driven with a lead foot while still cold. Maybe the PD had a good mechanic, but then again maybe not. A motor from a Crown Vic that belonged to Grandma & Grandpa, from a car that was never driven in anger and never left the ground is a better choice.

steveG

Reaction
Would the motor and transmission from a 97 Crown Vic Police Interceptor be a decent powerplant for a truggy style prerunner? I'm not really sure what's in it but I got it cheap and am considering parting it out and using the drivetrain in a project I'm working on.
Is it the dual overhead cam engine?

A motor from a former police car has typically been run hot, and left idling for hours, or started up and driven with a lead foot while still cold. Maybe the PD had a good mechanic, but then again maybe not. A motor from a Crown Vic that belonged to Grandma & Grandpa, from a car that was never driven in anger and never left the ground is a better choice.
Agreed.

ColoradoZQ8

Reaction
none of the crown vics had the dohc.

OP- get a MarkVIII engine. Its a little 2dr grandma car with a 280hp dohc 4.6.

Scrapiron

Reaction
The AOD is a POS

TCI has a bell housing that will let you bolt a c-4 to the 4.6