• Forum membership has its advantages....

CST bumpstops

Rallyrick

What are you guys with chevy 1500's and CST long travel kit running for bumpstops, cause I've had mine on for a while now without bumpstops, I got two brackets in the kit but can't figure out where they go...any help

blind655

Here are the bump stops that I have on the suburban with the CST long trav kit, they work pretty well.

Hope this helps.

Later
Mike

Attachments

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
hey, thats a bitchen set up, what kind of truck is that on? have you ever done or seen anyboby do that to a a-arm ranger?

rdc

do you have anymore pics of the front suspension on the 1500. your the first person i have seen mount the shocks like that. i pretty much want to do the same thing to my ranger, except mount the air bump to the side, not enough room between the arm and the frame to mount it like that.

how much travel did that truck have?

fishd00d

What A Joke
Thats a good idea because mounting airbumps on a-arms isnt that easy. I had to mount mine on the lower arm because I didnt really have time to figure out how to make it hit the upper. But it sucks cause its like almost riding on the airbumps, at least they are soft for the first couple inches.

Go Big Or Go Home

Jack

You haven't fixed it yet, you need to cut more off and have a larger surface area, you can still make thicker rings, to space it right, and it should sit on that ring, not a 1/4" away as in your pic. And if you don't have enough ride hight to get you off the bump, you can get the spacers that go in side the bumb and limit how much the shat will come out to give you somemore free travel.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Actually it is resting on almost all of the ring except where the pic is. It isnt easy to cut it straight without a plasma cutter or something! Plus you have a bunch of crap in the way. It works fine. I jumped before the sand blast a bunch and it didnt move and then I jumped at the sandblast and nothing moved and if it didnt move there I dont think it will :) When its sitting its got a little bit of clearence but I should actually have the coils cranker a little higher than I do. When I put my Nationals on I will be cranking the front a little higher also.

Go Big Or Go Home

Steve_HKmtrsprts

Matt-
Here are some pics. I had the King shocks custom made. 16" shaft on an 8" body, 2.5 diam. He did the valving too. The shock only stroked 4 1/2" so thats why there was so much valving. I had about 13" of travel. The air bump was a huge help and I was able to use the whole thing. I didnt have to put a spacer in it to shorten it, it only slipped a 1/4 on the lower arm throughout the upward cycle. I don't have the truck anymore though.

Attachments

rdc

thanks for the pics steve. why did you decide to use a shock with a longer shaft instead of just cutting a hole in the frame big enough for the entire shock body to fit in?

Steve_HKmtrsprts

We cut out the entire top of the coil bucket. The shock body moved side to side through the travel that it was necesary to run the body above the frame for clearance. I didnt want to cut the coil bucket/frame out. If I did that I would have just ran a coilover. I did this on a budget, thats why it turned out like this.

Mikey

Steve, why did you go thru the frame? Why not external? Where did all the travel come from? Why was the air bump necessary? What did those shocks cost?

Steve_HKmtrsprts

Mikey- I didnt want to cut and re-plate the frame. Didnt trust myself to do that yet. I ran dual foxes for a while and it did all right I just wanted to do something different. That kit cycles about 12" anyway. The airbump was necessary because I couldn't use a bypass shock beacuse the stroke it used on the shock. It is a heavy truck and it just happened to work with the air bump there, we tried mounting it other places but this seemed the most logical and useful. I got the shocks from King but I can't say the price. He was really nice and easy to deal with and the turnaround was like a week.