cummins conversion

Rprice

Reaction
what year suburban? its a giant motor in length but pretty narrow, under 2ft wide. a friend just did the swap in a late 80's 1/2 ton and ran into clearance with the radiator so he bought a griffin or Be cool off summit with duel electric fans and it just clears. fourty pounds of boost stock and it makes a 8500 pound truck haull balls.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
I did one in 1990 in a 1988 3/4 ton 4x4 you better have some time on your hands. The first round was Cummins vs tricked out turbo 400 NO dice the trans HATED that motor their went the first 6 grand not counting the motor. Round 2 Cummins vs that automatic that dodge had in 1991 [sorry i forget the ##] with the overdrive and the GM 208 Transfercase. [the front outputs are on oposite sides] that trans was a real POS that was the next 7 grand. round 3 Cummins vs new venture 5600 manual DING DING DING we have a winner!!:D It was a pain in the Azz in traffic rowing through the gears but what a tow rig. After the first 50k miles things started braking up the steering box started cracking off and the frame rails were cracking at the motor stands [that motor weighs 900lbs] and It ate front springs and bushings. Then I moved to Nevada they had no idea how to smog the thing. Cant pass diesel becuse it "was not a diesel Vin" and their was no gas motor under the hood. I sold it to a hunting guide. Thats the condensed story.

Ziggy

Reaction
i was gonna put all the running gear from a '97 5 speed dodge in the suburban.I know it needs a lift kit and I was going to try and find 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel to start with.
The rad was a consideration but never figured the frame and steering box.
I was hoping to stay under $10k

Might just buy an Excursion and be done with it.
Thanks Guys

scottm

Reaction
I have seen late model duramax engines on craigslist for $6-8K. I knew someone who put a Mitsubishi diesel with a 5 sp manual into a 2wd burb, and it worked great. Also chevy 1 ton trucks have a stronger frame with deeper rails that may hold up better to a cummins.

Ziggy

Reaction
Got my suburban finished this summer.
Got about 10,000 miles on it and getting 25mpg. Its awesome.
Turned up the pump 80 hp.

HardCharger81

Reaction
How did you get it past CA smog? I considered doing the swap into a 03 F450 with a blown V10 that I got for scrap price. I penciled it out and figured I could get it done for under 8k, but the state of California and all its hoops stopped me.

Ziggy

Reaction
I put a new interior in it also.Its from a 02 Escalade.
It started out as a diesel. Bought engine mounts and a bracket set to relocate the a/c.
Used a 47rh transmission and a 241d transfer case all from a dodge. rebuilt them both and the motor had 150k on it. I did the kdp and turned up the pump a little.

I am researching my next conversion.
It will either be an 03 Chevy truck 4x4 or similar year Ford.
I am looking for an 03/06 Ford with a blown 6.0

HardCharger81

Reaction
Ziggy, I don't know where in Nor Cal you are, but I'm in Elk Grove, and the F450 I bought came from the Bar None auction.
The cab was in awesome shape, and it had a 14' flat bed on it that was really nice. The V10 in it had a terrible knock, but for $850 I couldn't pass it up. Like I said, I really wanted to do a Cummins conversion, but my brother in Idaho ended up taking it off my hands.

Anyway, if your in the area, and you know your doing the conversion anyway, there's always a lot of high mileage trucks at Bar None.

scottm

Reaction
Very cool Ziggy. I have been researching the idea of a cummins 4BT in my 93 blazer. The 4bt can make 250hp easily with less weight than the 6bt dodge engine. Heck the stock tbi 350 is only 170 hp. I think I'll call it a Cumzer or Cumrolet..

Ziggy

Reaction
If you do that get a hold of me. I know a few tricks.
The 4bt is loud and a screamer.
If you put a harmonic balancer from the 6bt on the crank that noise and vibration go away.
Its a great swap for you.
Very cool Ziggy. I have been researching the idea of a cummins 4BT in my 93 blazer. The 4bt can make 250hp easily with less weight than the 6bt dodge engine. Heck the stock tbi 350 is only 170 hp. I think I'll call it a Cumzer or Cumrolet..

scottm

Reaction
Yeah thanks Ziggy, I was wondering how loud it would be. The old blaze is my offroad and hunting rig, so I don't want it to be too loud. How much should a 4bt builder engine cost? How much do you think the complete weight is?

Ziggy

Reaction
The 4bts are harder to find than the 6bt.
They usually can be found in the older delivery vans like a step van.
Prolly better off buying the van whole.That way you get the transmission, adaptor plate and the motor as a complete unit.
They are expensive as a unit all by themselves. About $4,000 for a van or $3,500 for the motor. Those engines are good for 300k before the bottom end needs to be done.
The whole motor mount package is also available to change into a chevy.
Yeah thanks Ziggy, I was wondering how loud it would be. The old blaze is my offroad and hunting rig, so I don't want it to be too loud. How much should a 4bt builder engine cost? How much do you think the complete weight is?