• Forum membership has its advantages....

Cummins Suburban conversion

Ziggy

Got the motor in and fired up a couple of weeks ago.
Fine tuning the fab work now.Using the chevy radiator with the dodge intercooler.
Rebuilt 47rh dodge transmission with the dodge transfer 241d case.

Been fun so far.

mexracer10

thats going to be an awesome baja burban right there. Any plans for tuning up the engine, its a gen II cummins?

Ziggy

Yes its a P pump.
I have done a couple of mods but I want to see how the transmission holds up before I turn it up and put a new turbo on it.
It runs really and should be finished in a couple of weeks.

Ziggy

Not at this time.
I have a buddy who did the same conversion and has 30,000 miles on his without any problems.
I did put a 4" lift kit on it and may put some fox shocks on it.
I went with the 94 body style because its a smoother ride.My son has a 3/4 ton '89 and its a rougher ride than I would like.

Are you planing anything suspension wise? Strait axle swap?

usmcgunrock

I was looking at picking up a 96 with a big block. Would like to do a lift but I can strait axle it for cheaper and get more out of it. I figured I would just get a set of Deavers for the front that way it would ride real nice. I would also like at some point to do a cummins swap but was thinking of the 4bt but it looks like the 12v would work nice in it. I will have to get some notes from you.

Ziggy

4bt is good for a bronco or blazer.The suburban needs that bigger 6bt.
The 4bt is noisier also.
Make sure your vehicle and the donor vehicle are both pre 1997 and under 14,000lb so it is smog exempt, unless you dont care about the smog.

mexracer10

That's good to know because i put a 94 12 valve in a 93 silverado and always herd rumors with the new smog requirements i might or might now pass smog.

Ziggy

As long as the silverado was a diesel you will not have a problem.If not then you can go to the DMV and have it changed to a diesel on the title and you will be smog exempt
That's good to know because i put a 94 12 valve in a 93 silverado and always herd rumors with the new smog requirements i might or might now pass smog.

mexracer10

it was a gasser before now diesel, so once its all done ill change over the title to smoke puffer lol

Ziggy

New seats fabbed, in and wired.
Take them back out this afternoon and install new carpet.
Shocks arrived today.I'll be busy all this weekend.
Pics to follow.

Ziggy

Yep,
New carpet installed today.
All the new seats are now in also as well as a used front bumper which makes this suburban look really beefy.
Working on the new center console with winters shifter and new gauges.
Pics soon
Looking good, anything new?

Mike

Devin J

That's awesome! I work for Cummins and it's cool to see all of these swaps popping up all over!