Curious why none of the big rally teams try Baja or BITD. Wonder how they would do?

cynicwanderer

Reaction
I suspect there is not enough ROI for someone like Renault/Peugot to do SCORE/BITD in terms of marketing money, I.e. how many extra cars would they sell if they did Baja 1000.

scottm

Reaction
I suspect it's too rough and silty for them and they don't want to risk the embarrassment of timing out in a Baja race.

chino

Reaction
You mean on a regular basis or more often right ??

The VW Team raced 2 Touaregs whith Mark Miller and Giniel De Villiers on the 2007 Baja 500, KTM Factory team also ran whit Marc Coma and Cyril Despress, and Larry Roesler and Chris Blais also whit KTM.
The De Rooy truck also raced a Baja 1000 not too long ago. those are the ones that i can remember of the top of my head.

fastfelix

Reaction
You mean on a regular basis or more often right ??

The VW Team raced 2 Touaregs whith Mark Miller and Giniel De Villiers on the 2007 Baja 500, KTM Factory team also ran whit Marc Coma and Cyril Despress, and Larry Roesler and Chris Blais also whit KTM.
The De Rooy truck also raced a Baja 1000 not too long ago. those are the ones that i can remember of the top of my head.

51rcr

Reaction
would think a 1000 win would be a nice notch and something to advertise and ROI compared to what rallies cost. I cant think i have ever seen a commercial where any of the companies have advertised big rally wins. other then WRC rally. I take it as to "Western". To tough with no time to replace most of the vehicle? Maybe they cant compete. Although American manufactures and a few Asians are the only ones to stick with it, and most of that was stock style vehicles.

jon coleman

Reaction
^^^THIS^^^

I bet the drivers wanna come but their sponsors couldn't care less about it.
i KNOW the real drivers would rather do 1k than that stuffy euro rallie stuff.yes!, blues bros are on just before mint!!, my Saturday is almost complete
20190629_110553.jpg

Last edited:

J Prich

Reaction
would think a 1000 win would be a nice notch and something to advertise and ROI compared to what rallies cost. I cant think i have ever seen a commercial where any of the companies have advertised big rally wins. other then WRC rally. I take it as to "Western". To tough with no time to replace most of the vehicle? Maybe they cant compete. Although American manufactures and a few Asians are the only ones to stick with it, and most of that was stock style vehicles.
That’s because you’re in the wrong market. WRC and Dakar are 1000x more visible in Europe than the 1000. A Euro company bragging about winning the 1000 in European advertising would be relatively meaningless because the average person in Europe has never heard of Baja.

crazyeye

Reaction
How do the American desert racers do in Dakar and rally?

He was driving an inferior long travel car. He did very good in the 4wd mini.

az_amsoil

Reaction
Wasn't the AGM Armin BMW sponsored by a bunch a companies that were typically rally sponsors.
Yes, brought on by Armin as they were his partners from rally racing. Same sponsors on the side of the RPM truck Armin races.

51rcr

Reaction
That’s because you’re in the wrong market. WRC and Dakar are 1000x more visible in Europe than the 1000. A Euro company bragging about winning the 1000 in European advertising would be relatively meaningless because the average person in Europe has never heard of Baja.
Like F1 in America.