• Forum membership has its advantages....

current thoughts on wiring, tips? Using a switch pro PDU or toggle and breakers?

51rcr

Whats your guys thoughts on using a Switch pro vs breakers and toggles. I like the ease of if something goes bad with toggles or breakers its easy to jump and you loose only one thing.
How reliable is the switch pro? they proven enough that ya dont have to worry about them like the engine computer? Does only one output fail or the whole thing? Jumping one thing can not be to bad but if the whole thing craps out thats lots of jumping wires. Has anyone pushed one hard on supply also and been impressed?
open to any tips on wiring. even the simplest tip please mention it. I may not know it. Truck is about to start wiring and want to make sure i have a good plan. Plan on using the insulated marine wire. Recommend running grounds back or terminate close to point of function?
Thanks,

jon coleman

what ever you do Keep it simple, & accessible,also run redundant wires in the loom for ts & fixxes in the field.me, i luv surplus military ac toggles.w - dust covers

51rcr

what ever you do Keep it simple, & accessible,also run redundant wires in the loom for ts & fixxes in the field.me, i luv surplus military ac toggles.w - dust covers
you have any places you like to find the treasured switches? anyother tips are appreciated if you think of them
So how you feel about the switch pro? to much reliability on one piece of technology? car computer seem to hold up well

isdtbower

I think a few racers have had "pad" product failures and sidelined. They are nice and compact but easy to fumble around when moving. I think "lighted" toggles, individual breakers, or auto-reset breakers, relays, and then switch guards are best if you have the space.. No hard-to-find or see fuses. I seem to be using more of the switch/re-setable large breakers. All allow trail options. This is not the clean look that some aspire to, but wiring can be art also.

I have been adding the Blue Sea breakers in the alternator circuits now as the new ones are pretty healthy. It can take over 200amps to run a car with lots of cooling. And if you control it through a computer you never know what you might get if ........... And those big wires make big smoke and hard to replace.

Last edited:

jon coleman

not really, had a buddy that worked at no.island air rework fac.' hook up', tons o' stuff, switches, zipp ties, ect....maybe military surplus, or like every one tells me, go on line.another tip.paint inside of area around any thing inside cab w- silver- alum.color paint.ive preped cars that were the black hole of Calcutta under the dash.drop a screw and it vanishes,plus cracks show up better(good thing?????)

51rcr

thanks, all good info. I appreciate it all and glad people still use the forums. I do like the toggle type breakers, sounds like they need more protection behind panels it says. Auto reset is very appealing though. was thinking a light so you know if it fails.

dzrt performance

Whats your guys thoughts on using a Switch pro vs breakers and toggles. I like the ease of if something goes bad with toggles or breakers its easy to jump and you loose only one thing.
How reliable is the switch pro? they proven enough that ya dont have to worry about them like the engine computer? Does only one output fail or the whole thing? Jumping one thing can not be to bad but if the whole thing craps out thats lots of jumping wires. Has anyone pushed one hard on supply also and been impressed?
open to any tips on wiring. even the simplest tip please mention it. I may not know it. Truck is about to start wiring and want to make sure i have a good plan. Plan on using the insulated marine wire. Recommend running grounds back or terminate close to point of function?
Thanks,
for starters, forget about using marine wire and spend a few more bucks and get M22759 wire that most everyone else is running nowadays. its a better quality wire that uses a much more rugged and thinner insulation making your looms considerably smaller in diameter with higher temp resistance. there are various online places that sell it an all colors and sizes by the foot or rolls.

when I wire a truck, I run a separate ground for each device in the loom that all terminates to a single point. some consider this overkill and ground at multiple points or at each device.

I have heard of some failure with a switch pro unit but not too many. its just a box of solid state relays and I will take solid state ANY DAY over mechanical relays.