Curtis Guise Project Vehicle - Toyota T100

Curtis Guise

Administrator
RDC Crypto
Website
www.offroadaction.com
Chad's T has some of the UDR stuff on it. I don't remember it having any issues before that though. He only added it when the smaller pulley went on.

Are you running headers?
No, just the stock manifolds and it had the stock exhaust other than a different muffler until a couple years ago when I had RPM redo it from the manifolds back. But it still has the cat and similar muffler. What year is Chad's? When the supercharger was first installed on mine it had less power than with it off(pre URD kit). The ECU on a 1995-96 compared to a 97+ really makes a difference I guess.

partybarge_pilot

RDC Crypto
96. He is running headers also, I forget which ones. SC definitely made a difference. We did some trickery with the fuel pressure regulator in the beginning to get a rising rate with the boost that really helped.

partybarge_pilot

RDC Crypto
Thinking back on it I believe the map sensor and fuel trim for boost is the issue with the 95-96 computers. They are just not setup for it. The rising rate FPR band aided those short comings to a certain extent.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
RDC Crypto
Website
www.offroadaction.com
Thinking back on it I believe the map sensor and fuel trim for boost is the issue with the 95-96 computers. They are just not setup for it. The rising rate FPR band aided those short comings to a certain extent.
Yes I remember it was something like that. This is the first time I've heard of a FPR mod. Curious to find out more about it if he still remembers. I'm sure I would need to re tune it if I started messing with that. There's a guy with a supercharged 3.4 that had his tuned down in Santee somewhere and he said they did a good job. So I'll go to them if I ever start making changes.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
RDC Crypto
Website
www.offroadaction.com
30901DDB-2D93-4D74-B64A-A073723A395B.jpeg

partybarge_pilot

RDC Crypto
Yes I remember it was something like that. This is the first time I've heard of a FPR mod. Curious to find out more about it if he still remembers. I'm sure I would need to re tune it if I started messing with that. There's a guy with a supercharged 3.4 that had his tuned down in Santee somewhere and he said they did a good job. So I'll go to them if I ever start making changes.

I think all we did was reroute the tube off the regulator so that it saw boost instead of being vented to atmosphere. That netted a 1-1 pressure rise. I think 97 up was routed that way from the factory.

Tube ride

RDC Crypto
Do you have anything else done to it like the URD kit with injectors and piggy back computer? How does yours run, any hesitation at certain throttle positions? Mine has always had that but not like what started happening last week. Is yours a manual or auto trans?

Almost every station we stopped at had premium. I did add octane boost once.
Mine was a swap into a 88 4Runner now with 22 gal fuel safe and the phantom in tank fuel pump. I bought the 7th injection kit but i couldn’t stop breaking Toyota axle stuff without it so I’ve been waiting to get my bigger axles before I install . It has always ran super great and I changed out the supercharger oil when It first went in . I wonder if your vapor lock has anything to do with Pemex/ octane since that’s where it happened before.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
RDC Crypto
Website
www.offroadaction.com
Mine was a swap into a 88 4Runner now with 22 gal fuel safe and the phantom in tank fuel pump. I bought the 7th injection kit but i couldn’t stop breaking Toyota axle stuff without it so I’ve been waiting to get my bigger axles before I install . It has always ran super great and I changed out the supercharger oil when It first went in . I wonder if your vapor lock has anything to do with Pemex/ octane since that’s where it happened before.
It's possible. I heard of people having problems with Bay of LA gas. Weird it happened in the same area 4 years apart though. But that section of race course is non stop on the gas pushing it. Klaus told me that's where he blew up their class 11 engine years ago.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
RDC Crypto
Website
www.offroadaction.com
From URD's page for the 6 injector fuel/timing upgrade page. URD 6 Injector Fuel/Timing Upgrade for TRD 5VZ-FE Supercharger - Underdog Racing Development

"Note- There is a known issue with installing the TRD Supercharger on the 1995-1996 Tacoma, and pre 1997 T-100. The stock ECU act oddly to the boost of the supercharger and takes all the ignition timing away and the engine will not make power. Many customers have installed stock ECUs out of 1997 vehicles to solve this problem. If you have a 1997 ECU in these vehicles, our fuel upgrade kit will work very well with it. After installation you will need to connect to our control unit with the tuning software and verify a good RPM signal. If you do not have a good RPM signal contact URD Tech Support by EMAIL and we can give you the work around for this issue if you have it."

It looks like they recommend the 7th injector kit over that one now for non EGR trucks.