Custom Dash...

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Well this is what my dash looks like right now:

I was thinking of trying to build my own but I dont know crap about how to do it heh. Anyone know of any fiberglass or alumn. kits or something? Or any good ideas, pictures, anything :)

Go Big Or Go Home

JCA

Reaction
Fish, Perry has a dash that looks nice. Don't know if he has one for Toyota though. Also Rodd might be able to help. See ya Friday.

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
www.andrewsracing.com

toyoter91

Reaction
haha i see those nice factory speakers from behind the dash layin around haha. but anyways did your truck come with speakers in teh door or did you install those yourself. i have always wanted to put some in there but didnt want to mess up my door panels. later

"Its still good!!! Its still good!!!"

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Yea you like those custom magnetic mounts there for the little speakers :) Mine came with speakers in the doors. You could put some there and it wouldnt be very hard at all, you just have to cut the circle.

Go Big Or Go Home

ntsqd

Reaction
Maybe you can collaborate with a 'glas shop and get yours for the price of making the buck.
You can laminate 1" styrofoam insulation with Super 77 and carve it into what your new dash wants to look like. An old carving knife, a hot wire, and a 'mud hog' or a DA with 24 grit will work for shaping it. Paint it with latex paint (keeps the polyester resin in bondo from eating the foam) and then apply bondo. From there it's basic body work to get a smooth surface. Then either you or a 'glas shop can paint it, PVA it, and pull a mold off of it.
BTW, you want the 2nd or 3rd part out of the mold, the 1st is nearly always junk & only serves to help cure the mold.
Get some pre-preg, accelerator, and a vacuum pump and you couold have a disc Carbon Fibre Dash..............
http://www.fibreglast.com/

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

Marshall

Reaction
Jeg's has a aluminum dash that is 60" wide with a 5 1/2" face that is bead rolled and could be cut to fit.
It runs around 100 bucks. Just another option. MW

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Does Jeg's have a website or a phone number? I have not heard of them before. Where are they at?

Go Big Or Go Home

V8Ranger

Reaction
www.jegs.com 1800 345-4545
Their very similar to summit racing. They have all kinds of hotrod and racing parts.

Ryno

Reaction
If you can draw it, a welding shop can make it. I know that Poway Welding can do it, I use to go to them for all kinds of stuff. Just give them dimensions, and a ballpark on the angles for the bends. You can buy an angle finder that a carpenter would use @ Home Depot for about $3. From there, transfer the angle, and then find it with a protractor, or a framing square. Can you tell I'm a carpenter? =) Poway welding will also make it fit to whatever size you want, or do a rough piece, either way. They are the only reasonable shop I know of in North County. I would guess they would charge about $200 for a finished dash, with no holes except the cutout for the column.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Thanks for the ideas guys. I am not sure what I am going to do but I am looking into this fiberglass dash that looks pretty cool you just have to cut the ends to fit and then cut your own holes for gauges, etc. Now I just need to get some $$$ for the Autometer gauges heh!

Go Big Or Go Home

Donahoe

Reaction
hey fish here are some ideas attatched. PEACE

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

Attachments

• 6-14740-inter.jpg
    6-14740-inter.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 203

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I'll take one of those! About how much would you guys charge for that minus the gauges?

Go Big Or Go Home

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Fish here is one that Tim Lawrence built awhile ago in Mike Colemans prerunner. Super clean and super simple with Stack Gauge cluster.. For more info on the gauge check out www.paradigmracecars.com

Attachments

• 6-14747-simpledashstack.jpg
    6-14747-simpledashstack.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 206

Ryno

Reaction
Fish-

Just a reminder, if you're going to keep it somg legal....you have to have a operable "check engine" light. If the light stays on after the truck is started, you fail...simple as that. I don't remember how I did it, but I found the actual wire that went to the computer for the light when I built my friends 95 Z28 with the custom race interior. He had a 406 Chevy small block that was blown, the car did mid 10's at the track, and was a scream to drive. Enough remeniscing!!

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

Junior

Reaction
Fishdood.........you never heard of Jegs? WTF?
Good luck with that dash. What a mess!

Junior
HAZLO EN GRANDE
O Mejor Regresa A Casa

gary

Reaction
here's the jeg's dash...$102.99...i'm looking into dash stuff myself...didn't know about the smog issue...wonderful

Attachments

• 6-14765-dash.jpg
    6-14765-dash.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 186

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Wow now I got a lot of ideas heh. Thanks a lot guys.
Thats interesting about the smog, thanks for the info!
John, yea thats pretty cool that looks like something I would do but I would add a little more to it. Do you happen to know how much one like that would go for if I went to a fab shop? I have never really asked before.

That Jegs dash looks pretty good. And not to bad on the $$.

Man so many choices heh. Well at least you can't see the dash from the outside cause I am going to that Total Chaos photo shoot tomorrow!

Go Big Or Go Home