• Forum membership has its advantages....

Custom length Dana50 ttb axles

outlaws4x4

Hi i need to get some custom length dan50 ttb axles made. Can anyone help me on where or who might be able to do this???

If no one makes custom length dana50 axles has anyone fitted dana60 axles into a dana50ttb before? and what is required to make it fit.

Thanks
Ash

outlaws4x4

No i have asked RCV and they told me that they are not making them and cant help me.

partybarge_pilot

The inner splines are the same as a D44, the outers are the same as a D60. RCV makes parts for both the 40 and the 60. I fail to see why they couldn't mix and match parts to piece together axles.

outlaws4x4

Well this is their response......
"Hello, sorry we do not have this product developed. We have not been able to develop the 2pc on the long side.
Sorry we can't help you out.
Kraig"​

shawn t

The inner inner on the two piece side is the challenge. Nobody wants to make it the way Dana originally did and NOS is all gone. It is fairly easy to do however if you just have the inner inner made without the large diameter seal surface. the shaft ends up looking like an outer stub shaft. You need to use a cut spline blank so you can machine the bearing surface to the right OD. then machine a shrink to fit spacer that the seal rides on. put the two together and you have the inner inner.

The slip shaft female side can be made from a trans slip yoke with a 1350 joint.

Talk to Branik Motorsports. Andy Stone and I have been discussing just this thing. You will probably need to send him the old pieces and it won't be as cheap as off the shelf stuff but the initial numbers we have been talking about are not outrageous. Oh and you can even go to 35 spline if you want to put in an ARB locker with the 35 spline side gear kit.

EDIT - this all works with the early D50 that has the 3 bolt shaft retainer on the side of the diff. I don't know about the later non 3 bolt versions

motoxscott

Talk to Jack @ CTM Racing, Im sure he can get you taken care of and he does great work.

(760) 450-0006

We have been splicing to axles together to make custom lengths for years and never had a failure of the axle splice - that includes thousands of race miles and many more prerunning. The failure point is always the U-Joint, never the axle.

Hi i need to get some custom length dan50 ttb axles made. Can anyone help me on where or who might be able to do this???

If no one makes custom length dana50 axles has anyone fitted dana60 axles into a dana50ttb before? and what is required to make it fit.

Thanks
Ash

Chris_Wilson

Old thread but wanted to add some info. RCV does sell the part that goes from the diff out through the female splines with the CV joint. You can buy this separate, I just bought one. They have two styles, one for the 1980-82 that has the 3 bolt axle retainer (non c-clip), and the other for the c-clip style. Both of these fit either D44 or D50 TTB thrid members. Then what you have is a 35 spline female that you just need to get a 35 spline axle to from your outer.

Many places can make these in custom lengths for however wide you have built your TTB.

For the passenger side, you should be able to use an RCV CV jointed Dana 60 axle, made to whatever length you need and it should fit both the 35 spline female and the D50 lockout hub. The issue is on the drivers side, the RCV D60 stuff that will fit your D50 lockout, is not going to fit your little 30 spline D44 diff. You could splice something together but it would be a shame to cut the nice D60 RCV axle to splice on your 30-spline end.

We just upgraded our TTB ends to Ultra4 stuff from Spidertrax. They have chromoly housing ends and uprights that use uniballs instead of OEM ball joints and fit a chromoly unit bearing that is splined to take either a 35 or 40 spline axle. Downside is no lockout so axle is always spinning but it's a super strong setup and uses massive 1480 series chromoly yokes. We are using the Spidertrax 4340 35 spline outer stub axles and Spidertrax is making custom 300M axles to go from this 1480 series yoke into the 30-spline end needed to fit the D44 (or D50) diff. On the passenger side, Spidertrax is making the piece that goes from the outer 1480 series yoke to the RCV 35 spline female slip.

BTW, regarding splicing axles together to make custom lengths, we have broken 4 axles so far, 2 testing and 2 in one weekend when we raced Ultra4 and none of the breaks happened at the axle splice, we twisted off the splines and the splice held up fine. This new setup should be way stronger than the junk yard parts we have been racing on.
303-SCORE-San-Felipe-250-2014-3-4-14.jpg

Chris_Wilson

For the splice, just v-cut the two pieces, build up the V with weld and put a sleeve over it with a few holes for some rosette welds. Here's a few pictures showing the splice on the old stuff and side by side with the new stuff from Spidertrax. Also a few shots of the RCV crossover CV axle. Coleman racing made the 14" rotors and custom hats for us. The Spidertrax upright and knuckle are chromoly and designed for a solid axle, we put them in the TTB instead paying attention to caster/camber/width/location as nothing is adjustable.

P8300060.JPG P8300046.JPG P8300047.JPG P8300048.JPG P8300049.JPG P8300052.JPG P8300056.JPG P8300059.JPG