Custom radiator suggestion

Fifty

Reaction
I’m debating a custom radiator for the truck... there is a really low brace on the front, which protects a low hanging radiator (and I’m sure a trans cooler inside).

This causes an issue when making a skid plate for the bumper.
It’s near vertical...

If I can eliminate/raise the brace/protection bar and raise the bottom of the radiator as well, it will allow a better approach.

I am debating if a thicker core radiator, that is otherwise stock In all other dimensions but how high off the ground, is financially worth the gain in angle.

Not to mention finding someplace that would be willing to fabricate said radiator.

We have kicked the top of the bumper forward in the design process, which has helped the angle a bit, but not enough and we would like the extra clearance anyways...

C5164135-4B75-442D-82F3-6A6E7A5E27AE.jpeg
F5EA7985-A794-45EC-9466-1EB3DCD4D7F6.jpeg

Fifty

Reaction
So I forgot... can anyone recommend a place that would build such a radiator? I’m in NorCal so logistics is a little tricky.

And the bumper in the photo has been taken off because it was built with horrible quality and did not fit.

Fifty

Reaction
I have a Ron Davis on my race car. They were less than helpful and only made mine because a shop local to them had the same car in at the time. It was still a nightmare and the quality control sucked. I had to have a bunch of pinhole leaks fixed.

But I’ll check with C.B.R. See what they say. Timing may make this moot though.

Bert is my name

Reaction
I don't know who's in your area but, Ryan at kirk's radiator here in el Cajon has helped me out quite a lot with some oddball stuff. He's extremely knowledgeable and willing to take the time to keep customer's happy. Try talking to a few local shops.

Fifty

Reaction
There used to be a place local a long time ago. They have since moved.

I’ll keep looking. Sadly this truck like so many new vehicles have plastic end and side tanks. So manipulating the stock piece is out.

Fifty

Reaction
Stock replacement isn’t the answer. It’s a shorter than stock replacement. One that doesn’t hang as low. Yet has a better core that can exchange the same if not more heat.

Bert is my name

Reaction
What are the dimensions you are after. I've seen radiators with blank tanks that you add the inlet and outlets to yourself.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
As mentioned above CBR just need your dimensions and they can sort out a new one for ya. I have sent a a few people there over the years and they had quick turn around times. They have a few off the rack ones also. You may be able to make one fit.

CBR- Performance – The best cooling products around

jon coleman

Reaction
ive done two jeep cherokee junk yard rads. wide but low profile.and double up with an good 1st gen rx7 oil cooler( they are quite trick) u will be ice cool

cagedruss

Reaction
Cores are available at Howe Racing. I get my cores from then and make my own rads. pretty easy.

Fifty

Reaction
I want to post an update. I was going to build a bed cage for storage and bypasses and a new bumper to replace the muffler tube one mcneil racing built me.

I am disabled, and it was Jan 2020, so winter, new kid which takes a toll. I couldnt really use my tube bender. Life wasn’t good physically at that point. The wife told me to hire it out. So was referred to a shop.

while we were talking about the build he suggested a new radiator and I mentioned it’s a genv gm vehicle and the fans are pwm. Heassured me he is a gm guy and knows what’s up and also knows a bunch of folks who can help.

well 5 months later and... It has a new radiator and traditional fans that won’t work with the headache of the gm OS and fueling tables etc etc etc.

so the truck has a cbr 1011 radiator which is 28x19x3.
The oem truck had a taller but skinnier radiator, and a single pwm 20 inch fan I believe.

I called cbr and asked for a shroud with the largest single brushless fan, and it was aSpal 30107125 Plus Series 15.2" Flush Mount Curved Blade Brushless Puller Fan

I just received it and am hoping to pull the radiator on Thursday and swap it in, then reverse the ect fan signal settings via hptuner (still researching exactly what needs to be done).

im really hoping this will handle the heat well enough.

Attachments

JP_JCM

Reaction
If you drive that fan at any more than 88% duty cycle, if will overheat and fail.

Fifty

Reaction
That’s what I have been hearing. (Although they said 91, but I’d happily go down to 88 for safety)

I’m currently trying to research what has to be reprogrammed in hptuner to run it.
So far I’ve been told it’s just two ect tables. And to reverse the numbers from stock.

ive reached out to the tuning school to verify. I’ve purchased their genv book and their transmission book. Neither touch on the fans. They emailed me back this morning saying they will look into it.

Fifty

Reaction
I think I may be a bit screwed. The oem fan is the same plug as the spal but the oem pwm only has three wires. Red black and green. While the spal pwm has 4 wires, red black yellow and white
BFCF6B5E-C752-4E2F-8B81-4E1265A225D8.jpeg
D46E8A3B-3503-410D-AD02-E99832BB3306.png
BFCF6B5E-C752-4E2F-8B81-4E1265A225D8.jpeg
D46E8A3B-3503-410D-AD02-E99832BB3306.png