• Forum membership has its advantages....

Custom Uprights, BO spindle options

Building long travel for my 01 f150 2wd. I'd like to fab up a custom upright to fit the 4+" longer arms. all I can find for a starting point is the blitzkrieg and Camburg universal snout flange that can be used with d44 snouts.
I would ideally like to use a cheapish snout that can use a factory hub [f150 would be great], and possibly keep my 01 brake calipers. But from what I can tell my options are go full race snouts and hubs, which is out of my price range. Or convert to Dana 44 snouts, hubs, rotors and calipers (old bronco stuff...)
Or I could go super cheap and just bolt a rod end to the top control arm mount of the stock f150 spindle, in order to get a horizontal bearing out of the upper A arm, like the JD fab kit does..
As for the brake caliper mounts.. are most of you guys making these from scratch? Machining 1/2 inch steel? Or are there pre fabbed mounts somewhere for reasonable prices.
Im experienced in roll cages, welding, race cars etc. Any input for a capable weekend desert rig would be amazing.

Attachments

jon coleman

old 4x4 axle cut off,edit, cut off the u joint input , so all thats left is the splined section& flange, then u can put the nut on and tork as normal like the 2d front on my old jeep, those hubs are pretty strong, put the f350 studs in, or just go 5/8" studs

Last edited:

johndjmix

For the caliper mounts, 1/2"? As long as we are talking the same thing as seems obvious, the mount the long pin-bolts go through, isnt 1/2" a bit much? My trophylite (and all of them ive seen) have the caliper mounts made of 1/4" plate. Granted its a light truck, but the force is rotational, and the plate is wide there. There is no side-to-side force, so i cant see ever needing anything over 1/4".

--John

RanchoPacific Motorsports

Anyone convert a 4wd hub? not sure how one would put an axle nut on the end. Basically i want a bolt on f150 snout and hub... just to clarify
I might have some thing that will work but they were for a 99 chevy with bolt on hubs I have some parts that need final machining done so they might work for you.

old 4x4 axle cut off,edit, cut off the u joint input , so all thats left is the splined section& flange, then u can put the nut on and tork as normal like the 2d front on my old jeep, those hubs are pretty strong, put the f350 studs in, or just go 5/8" studs
Hmm. Ya. That may be my cheapest option, just didn't want the extra weight and crap in the hub.
@johndjmix
I just see that 1/2" is what a lot of the high end kitsch are machining for caliper mounts on uprights. I probably will use 1/4 mild steel, hand cut and drill pressed.
@RanchoPacific Mo.
what? Like silverado snouts? That's an option. Probably gonna do some junk yard digging first.
I found this setup for pretty cheap, hate the 3 bolt flange opposed to 4 or 6 tho....

Attachments

Last edited:
Couple more questions, I'll drop in my own thread here.
This blitzkrieg kit doesn't seem to have brake caliper mounts at all. Are there bolt on mount mounts for certain calipers that I haven't found? Or do they want you to fab some on once you've chosen the spindle and hubs?
Also it says 1.5" uniballs for the lower arms.. I'm guessing that is just the outer pivot, due to the bearings costing over $250 each. But there is no mention of what the inner pivots are, and I NEED TO KNOW..so I can copy the heck out of them. They should be 2" delrin with a 1" sleeve and 5"8 bolt? any recommendations for lower control arm bushings/bearings. I'm putting things in a cart on kartek.com now. [For a damage e$timate]

Attachments

Last edited:
Ok, pretty sure I got the spindle figured out. I CAN get a 6 lug hub for a dana 44 bolt on snout. Just gotta make sure it's all the big bearing stuff. My 01 f150 2wd rotors may fit this hub. then I will have to make a custom brake bracket for my 01 f150 calipers.
Should I just make the snout mount myself out of some thick steel with some nuts on the back end?? Or is the blitzkrieg snout mount necessary?

Attachments

619offroad

So what i do when i build most people i-beams, I use dana 44 snouts and hubs. With an 04 4x4 dodge dakota rotor, have to machine the I.D. of the rotor so the hub fits through. If i remember right it's about a 13.5 inch rotor, already with 5x5.5 pattern. Then run a set of wilwood superlite calipers. For the most part a cheaper route for building uprights. also nexgen in Temeclua have snout blocks as well, i get my 5/8 studs from desolate motorsports for the dana 44 bronco stuff. I understand wanting to keep the stock set up but not really the best options for hubs. Half of this stuff you can get at almost any auto parts store. This is just what I do. In no way am I saying, this is the only/ best way. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions regarding other options as well.

@619offroad Why do you not just use bronco rotors and calipers? Are they that bad? Thank you for the info btw. May check out prices of those snout blocks. I also don't know why I wouldn't just drill 6 holes into a thick piece of steel and make my own..maybe I'm missing something there. No nuts needed on snout blocks I guess.

619offroad

Bronco rotors are only 11.5 diameter and the dodge rotors are 13.5 and the wilwoods are 4 piston if your going with a 17 inch wheel and 37s you will want the extra stopping force. If your running a 15 inch wheel and 35s the factory bronco stuff will do fine.