cutting 28 spline EMPI axles

dannyfab

I have just finished a two seater sand car and found out I did not leave enough play for the axles. I am running the 28 inch 28 spline axles from EMPI and noticed the other size down are a inch smaller so buying these axles would leave me with too much play. I know I could buy custom axles but that would be too costly. Does anyone know who near El Cajon could cut or machine my stock axles down a quarter of an Inch? I am about to take these axles to the chop saw. Thanks for your help.

Kbach66

I have just finished a two seater sand car and found out I did not leave enough play for the axles. I am running the 28 inch 28 spline axles from EMPI and noticed the other size down are a inch smaller so buying these axles would leave me with too much play. I know I could buy custom axles but that would be too costly. Does anyone know who near El Cajon could cut or machine my stock axles down a quarter of an Inch? I am about to take these axles to the chop saw. Thanks for your help.
I'd stay away from the chop saw with them. I think they'd get too hot and you might screw up the heat treating.

prerun15

i called a few machine shops the other day looking to get the same thing done to my axles. i called a few places that were off of prospect rd. one place wanted 100 bucks and ralls machine shop wanted only 65 bucks. in the end i just end up buying the smaller axles so i never actually got it done. good luck

sickrick

Chop saw will work fine.

dannyfab

Thanks for the replies, I think the heat from a chop saw will mess up the torsion twist from the axles. 65 dollars to get them machined down is a good deal I will look into that.

5racer

cutting them with a chop saw is probaly the only heat treat that empi axels will get ,but machining them is the right way to do it