Cutting Brake Question

TheMonkey

Reaction
we run a small buggy with 2wd & open rear diff. (can lock the rear with lever, but pretty much race with open).

it has strong rear traction, seems to be rear heavy, and we are really having a tough time with turning at high speed or in sand/silt/mud.

i think we should give cutting brakes a try.

have researched these as they have been discussed on this board, but have a couple Q's:

- mechanically, these look like they cutoff fluid to one of the rears. but... this leaves the fronts to get fluid. intuition seems like you would just want one rear to brake. with one rear cutoff, does that create a heavy bias to the rear since the cutoff wheel is not taking any fluid? our car is front brake biased so rears don't lock now (driver preference)... with cutoff, will the fronts not get enough fluid, so that only one rear locks?

- how do these work? single handle looks like it has 2 bores. i assume in neutral position it is just open lines to each side. what exactly are the bores doing when engaged in either side?

- i have read that cutting brakes can help with body roll. is that just because the ass slides out?

- how do you select bore size? is it relative to bore of the dual MC?

thx for any help.

D.Mavis

Reaction
the cutting brake has 2 master cylinders so when you pull the left lever (if it has two levers) the left rear brake is applied, you dont have to hit the brake pedel. if you pull the right the right rear brake is applied. the harder you pull the more brake is applied. there are some with just one lever in which case you push forward for one rear brake and pull back for the other. when you are not pulling the handle the brakes work as if the cutting brake was not there. obviously you have to have an open rear diff to make the cutting brake work, otherwise it will lock up both rear wheels. a cutting brake makes you turn better because you can leave your foot on the gas while useing it, so if you are turning left the left rear tire in braking and the right rear is pushing forwrd so that force couple is turning the car by itself. then if the cutting brake is enough to slw the car the front tires are 100% available for turning instead of braking and turning.

TheMonkey

Reaction
Thanks for the reply.

I also talked to CNC about my misunderstanding. The part I didn't understand, is that there are check valves, so that the lever does not just redirect the fluid, but it actually acts as a brake.

Some information on the internet seems to confuse cutting brakes, staging brakes, and line locks.

Hopefully we'll give this a try. I think it can really be a help for us.

Captain Air Time

Reaction
try locking the diff. If you have any power at all, you will likely achieve some oversteer, instead of pushing through the turns with an open diff. Free to try, and sounds like something you are not currently doing... Can't hurt, at any rate.