Cutting Long Travel Coils??

GASPORTS4EVR

A while back I purchased a Fabtech L/T kit with 4" spindles, coils that are too long, and an eng. cage that never worked for my 97 GMC 1500, I wish I would have gone with CST, but oh well. Anyway, since then I have upgraded the cage, added limit straps. I love my trucks "old school" pre-runner look with the 88-98 body style and 7" bulge front glass, however, it is just so high. What can I do to lower the front? Cut the coils? Will the L/T kit work with smaller spindles? Will smaller coils work with the L/T kit? I can't afford to buy a new kit, the only good thing with the kit is when I go to pick up my girlfriend and notice she is wearing a skirt! LOL!Your feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Chris

jaferri

more then likely the spring you received are the 1500-3 model. That's what they gave me, after looking into these spring I found that they are also the same as the 3/4 ton springs. If you want a softer spring rate and lowered stance try the 1500-1 or -2 springs which are for the 1/2 ton regular cab models. Those springs combined with the Long travel arms ahould put a bit more leverage on the springs and squat the truck down more.

Josh

FullsizeFun

My truck is a 92 gmc 3/4 ton, ext cab, long bed. I have the long travel with the lift spindles. I am running the stock 3/4 ton springs in it. it sits right in the middle of the travel. 6-3/4in up, 5-1/4 droop travel, 12in total. It rides soooo much better than with the lift springs. It is just a hair too sofp, I am thinking about getting the 1 ton springs, they are the same length, but a little stiffer. but I will wait til i put my air bumps on and see how it is. the lift springs are actually stiffer than the 3/4 ton springs, they are the same wire thickness with more coils. I think you should be able to cut the coils down no problem. I would cut the coils 1 loop at a time. cut 1 loop off of both and put em back in and drive it. I wouldn't cut more than 2 loops off. then put some good shocks and air bumps, and you are set.

Jack

When you cut coils, it get stiffer.
Sounds like stock springs are the ticket, go to a pick a part or salvage yard and be done.

Waldo

Safehouse
Hey Arny - Chrome the damn things, that'll make 'em softer and they'll look DISCO too!!! J/K

Did you get your front bumper fabbed up yet? Shirley??

Later dude.

Brannon

GASPORTS4EVR

This is the kind of feedback I was looking for! Thanks guys. My coils are 1500-3, I think I will try the 3/4 or 1 ton factory coils. I have 4 bilstein 7100 series shocks up front, which coil do you guys think will work best, coils are a pain to install and I would like to do it just once more.. I think if I cut the lift coils, I'll be messing with it all week.. Thanks again..

Chris

GASPORTS4EVR

Hey Waldo, I just saw your post, good to hear from you! The bumper is next, I was at Bakers on Sat. and he will be doing it, I just want something simple/modern like the one on Gabe Lara's Ranger.. I'll give you a call later tonight..

Chrisl

GASPORTS4EVR

Hey Dave,

I was thinking about air bumps also, exactly where are you installing them on the frame? Do you have any pics. of your truck? Years back I fell in love with the 88-98 style pre-runner the Herbst's have, so I dig these style trucks..

Chris

FullsizeFun

I definitely think this is the best body style. I dont have the bump stops installed yet. I am planning on installing them so they hit on the upper arm. I dont have the dual shocks on the upper arm. If you have the dual shocks you could probably mount them just outside the dual shocks, so they hit on the end of the upper arm. make a flat plate for the bumps to hit on, maybe something that bolts to the upper balljoint bolts on top of the arm.
For springs, is your truck ext cab or std, long or short bed?
Mine is ext cab long bed, and the 3/4 ton springs are a little soft, but very smooth on the little stuff.

Attachments

Steve_HKmtrsprts

I wanted to step it up a bit and got the CST kit, cut the top of the coilbucket out, had King make me a shock that had a 16" shaft on an 8" body, so the body would be above the frame and put the an SAW airbump on the frame in between the top arm. It worked really well, better than the 2 Foxes. I also ran the 1500-2 coil and it sat pretty low and wide. Just wish I would have kept it longer to build something in the rear.

Attachments

GASPORTS4EVR

Thanks for the pic Dave, I powder coated mine silver and cut off the sway bar mount and relocated the bump stop mount also to give it a different look. I have an extra cab 3-door short bed. I have my truck apart on my driveway, the longer it sits, the more I want to change. What coils would you reccomend? Also, I want to upgrade my tie rods, like yours, where's the best place to get them? I heard they make noise and wear out much faster than stock rod ends.. is that true? Thanks again..

Chris

FullsizeFun

I think you should try and cut your springs first. the wire size is the same as the 3/4 ton springs, they just have more windings. I think 2 more than stock. I think you can get the height and ride you want by doing this, and not spending any money. I will count how many windings are on my springs when I get home tonight.
Your truck is a little lighter than mine, so you shouldn't need the 1 ton springs.
If you do cut your springs and they wind up not working, the 3/4ton springs can be bought at NAPA, or wherever for like $90.
I made the tie-rods myself, they are 3/4in heims and 1inx3/16 wall DOM. I have had them on the truck for a year now, they have'nt worn out yet, and dont make any noise.

FullsizeFun

here's another pic at ride height.
Mine sits real nice, I have the 4-1/2in spindles and stock springs. I clear 35's no problem with glassworks fenders.

Attachments

GASPORTS4EVR

Thanks Steve & Dave for the pics. Steve, your CST kit and custom fab work is pretty sweet... Man I wish I knew then what I know now! Today, i'm going to yank out the coils, and if I have any fingers left, I'm going to cut a ring or two from my 1500-3 coils, then go to the extreme sports expo @ the O.C Fairgrounds, have a couple adult beverages, then take my two cut rings, drive to Fabtech, and throw them throgh their window...LOL...

Chris

FullsizeFun

sounds good Chris, make sure you let us know how it turns out.
I am waiting to mount my air bumps, I am going to convert the arms to uniball. Hopefully I can get 3 or 4 more inches of travel. I might have to make a whole new upper arm.

jaferri

Well how did it go???? I'm having the same troubles with my truck and only want to take the front end apart once.

Josh

GASPORTS4EVR

The project is still in progress. I have a little Accord I use as my Daily Driver, so the longer my truck sits on my driveway, the more I want to re-do... So far I have re-done the eng. cage, and I am in the process of adding heimed tie rods, limit straps, and cutting 1 1/2 loops from my coils.. The hardest part has been going through and re-mounting all of the electronics which were mounted to the inner fender aprons.. I tried to modify the aprons to re-use but just didn't like the way it looked.. Here are a couple crappy pics. I took a couple weeks ago, it's starting to look pretty sweet now, I'll take some new pics. soon. Thanks for everyones input..

Chris