On Topic CVT's in Baja Racing?

Stingray63Vette

Reaction
Anyone know about any rules or resources having to do with CVT transmissions? I'm looking to outfit a concept long travel vehicle in the future with a double CVT drivetrain. (Second CVT multiplies gear ratio from first transmission, but at a much lower rate)

My main question is basically where can I buy a crate CVT, and what's the word out there on racing them?

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Anyone know about any rules or resources having to do with CVT transmissions? I'm looking to outfit a concept long travel vehicle in the future with a double CVT drivetrain. (Second CVT multiplies gear ratio from first transmission, but at a much lower rate)

My main question is basically where can I buy a crate CVT, and what's the word out there on racing them?

Aren't most of the UTVs still using a CVT... seems like they had a real hard time with belts in the first few years but seem to be much more reliable now...

Stingray63Vette

Reaction
Aren't most of the UTVs still using a CVT... seems like they had a real hard time with belts in the first few years but seem to be much more reliable now...
Yeah, but I need something that can take serious torque and rpms. I need a performance CVT- maybe like the ones in Mercedes vehicles. I think they might have them, but I don't know where to find them as crate parts...

Chris Tobin

Reaction
The only ones I was aware of in the automotive world are behind small displacement cars and not at all performance oriented... Personally I feel that you will be doing more CVT R&D than vehicle/suspension R&D and that seems like a VERY expensive and not at all fruitful prospect to me...

PaulW

Reaction
I have not sen any CVT applications that have more than 200Hp. Most are around 180 or so. Look up Honda Subaru Nissan and other Jap brands. They use metal drive chain.

Stingray63Vette

Reaction
I have not sen any CVT applications that have more than 200Hp. Most are around 180 or so. Look up Honda Subaru Nissan and other Jap brands. They use metal drive chain.
That's what I'm concluding. I might have to go about researching ways to machine and assemble a purpose-built one if I want to continue. The only problem other than the insane work I'd have to do is there is probably a reason they're only used in little cars. They might not be efficient at this time for big vehicles.

Perhaps this is a business opportunity...

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Didn't Cadillac produce a car with a CVT a few years ago? Maybe they don't any more and that is all you need to know?

pwerwagn

Reaction
Lotta CVT info on minibuggy.net. Also, STM (supreme tool and machine?) sells legit cvt setups.

Stingray63Vette

Reaction
I'll look into that, pwrwagn. Thanks!

Bro_Gill- you mean the killed em off? Maybe... But if you do the research, they are the most efficient transmissions of all. I think it's the best automatic transmission made for ICE engines. Until electric takes over :(

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Desert Son

Reaction
This is my car, I have it listed in the classifieds now. I've never lost a belt. powered by a 2.2 Ecotech. STM is a great way to go. I think the CVT works well for what it is.
PREDATOR PRERUNNER

Stingray63Vette

Reaction
Nice! If I was a buggy guy I might have wanted to pick that up... Looks awesome!

I believe your vehicle is manufactured by the same company Rocket 450 provided a link to. It has some interesting info on their website. It's reassuring to know they at least use them at all.

Appreciate all the help! I didn't think I would get any info at all, but this is great!

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
It's coming. Bmw says cvt is way more efficient and can be stronger than any other transmission. They're working on replacing their dual clutch auto transmissions in their top performance vehicles with cvt. Crazy times to be a performance car guy.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Your secondary CVT would see a lot of torque. I highly doubt a belt would take the abuse. Maybe an enclosed chain type like the Nissan/Subi's use but that is complicated and unproven. You would be much better off with a 2 speed gearbox, Something like a VW drag transmission. Bonus is that you get reverse also.

Stingray63Vette

Reaction
I agree with you completely, partybarge. If I'm using a double CVT setup, I need to find one that can take extreme torque and rpms. Remember, this is a concept. Soon, I will be able to get any financial and fabrication resources when needed. I'm going to look at the specs for the most common ones- maybe some will have what I need. (the torque and rpms will be squared on the second)

I'm not too worried about parts getting worn out fast or maintenance. It's a trade off: performance vs part life.

A VW drag transmission is interesting. Never heard of it. Doing some research right now, but I may combine that with my idea.

Ol'Curmudeon- yup. That's the main one I was looking at. I don't know about max rpms, but most electronic conversions use them. Look up EV West. 4 Warp 11 electric motors provide extreme torque. Like, insane torque- we're talking 0-60 in 2 seconds with a 2 ton vehicle. Powerglides are cheaper to. I can get those as crate parts for sure. They're definitely on my list. It will take some innovative fabrication to attach them together as a double setup. The only thing that worries me is I've heard they have 2 gears. I don't want gears. I want smooth acceleration of the first transmission lining up with the other, going a rate the root of the first. If that makes sense. I'll go check it out now.