Cyril Despres in a Trophy Truck?

Dirty Harry

Reaction
So Dakar legend Cyril Despres was at the Mint 400, which I was really excited about, but he was only there to watch. Since his fellow Red Bull athlete Bryce Menzies is on the mend, Cyril is going to drive his Trophy Truck at the Baja 500. This is one of those cool "how would a rally raid driver do in a TT?" sort of scenarios that we actually get to see play out in real life, and I for one am pretty excited about it.

For those who aren't familiar with the Frenchie, he has won the Dakar Rally five times on a bike. The last four years he has been part of the Peugeot juggernaut and finished third in a car in 2017. The dude is smart and fast and while I don't expect him to with the Baja 500, I think that he will do very well. For reference, Bean came in 9th place at the San Felipe 250 behind the wheel of Menzie's Trophy Truck. Do you think that Depres can best that finish?

Last edited:

AZ7000'

Reaction
For reference, Bean came in 9th place at the San Felipe 250 behind the wheel of Menzie's Trophy Truck. Do you think that Depres can be that finish?
I would think he doesn't have the pressure to produce a good 500 start spot, and has the resources to punish the equipment a bit more. So yes, he can. And he is a Bike Guy!!

guycomer

Reaction
Based on TV coverage from previous Dakars he seems like a real a-hole. Not sportsmanlike at all. I usually root for bike guys but I look forward to seeing him get his ass handed to him.

harleys dad

Reaction
So Dakar legend Cyril Despres was at the Mint 400, which I was really excited about, but he was only there to watch. Since his fellow Red Bull athlete Bryce Menzies is on the mend, Cyril is going to drive his Trophy Truck at the Baja 500. This is one of those cool "how would a rally raid driver do in a TT?" sort of scenarios that we actually get to see play out in real life, and I for one am pretty excited about it.

For those who aren't familiar with the Frenchie, he has won the Dakar Rally five times on a bike. The last four years he has been part of the Peugeot juggernaut and finished third in a car in 2017. The dude is smart and fast and while I don't expect him to with the Baja 500, I think that he will do very well. For reference, Bean came in 9th place at the San Felipe 250 behind the wheel of Menzie's Trophy Truck. Do you think that Depres can best that finish?
I sure hope the truck performs better than it did for Bean, I know the inside story and what happened. I wish him luck

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
I think it is cool that the B500 is getting world class, international talent. It can only help elevate the sport IMO.

isdtbower

Reaction
Nothing personal or the truck, but seeing the course in the dust will change pre-running lines. It should be hard to beat those that have lived Baja.. A clean air charge may change that. French are not known for any slowing for pedestrians.

Jacob7672

Nimrod de Ashcraft
Reaction
I would think there has to be some sponsor input in this decision. IMO Bean is clearly a safer bet to have a good finish at the 500.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Tipracer

Reaction
IMHO I feel he will adjust rather quickly, how well he does will be dependent on who will be his navigator. Bigger question is who will qualify at SEMA?

Last edited:

michael_loomis

Reaction
Excited to see how he does and I think it’s awesome, but I foresee a 8th-12th place finish if he doesn’t crash out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bricoop

Reaction
Nothing personal or the truck, but seeing the course in the dust will change pre-running lines. It should be hard to beat those that have lived Baja.. A clean air charge may change that. French are not known for any slowing for pedestrians.
There's no way he will contend for a win. The TTs run state-side are so much bigger and tougher than any car in Dakar and there will be a big learning curve. Also, with limited time in the truck he won't know what its limits of the truck are. You've got guys that have been married to their machines for years.

Cyril has a huge following overseas and I don't see this being anything other than a good thing for Baja racing.

Honda48X

Reaction
It all depends on how much pre-running he does. If he runs it four or five times he will be in the hunt. I agree on the navigator part above. He needs a good navigator.

mattb

Reaction
He has a strong skill set and isn’t afraid to push the limits. If he has good prerunning, prep, and enough texting time, he will do well. Id bet that he has more days of racing experience than the strong majority of the field. Drivers that previously raced motorcycles have a tendency to make the transition pretty quickly.

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
he will do WELL, how could he not??? TOP notch team and truck and front starting spot....the guy has SKILLS and plenty of experience.......now if he didnt get the PREMIUM starting spot, (because he didnt EARN it), this would be a completely different story.....

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
lets just say BEAN enters b500 in tt.....who starts NINTH????

Tipracer

Reaction
My bad for some reason I was thinking about the b1k