D739 vs. D606

Dezertpilot

How much better is the 739 purely in dirt over the 606? I have the 606's F&R on my ktm 530 and they are pretty awesome in the wear department. If I try the 739 is it necessary to put the 739 also on the front? The bike is ridden in the deZert primarily, thanks!

dirtdudeaz

you can mix any tire you want to whatever you like. It just takes using a bunch of different combos to see which one works the best for your area of riding and type. The 606 is a dual sport tire I think more emphasized for offroading. If you want a more aggressive offroad tire that would never see pavement go with a different one.

I like the 739A/T in the rear. I didnt like the front that much if I remeber correctly, although it wasnt the worst tire I have had. A lot of guys liked the 756RR front tire, but dunlop replaced that with the mx51 tire.

Right now I have a D952 in the back. It is a little softer but I like the grip I have been getting. and in the front I have a D745 I believe (its not bad either).

I ride a 450x by the way.

troyharper

DA Meatball
How much better is the 739 purely in dirt over the 606? I have the 606's F&R on my ktm 530 and they are pretty awesome in the wear department. If I try the 739 is it necessary to put the 739 also on the front? The bike is ridden in the deZert primarily, thanks!
Stick with your 606 s!

Dezertpilot

Stick with your 606 s!
From another forum thats what I have gathered! Im thinking of trying a Maxxis IT desert rear one of these days though.

dirtdudeaz

thumbs down to that tire....

I hated that thing. I took it off as soon as I could. The wear on it and traction was crap.

D. Freeman

Im assuming your KTM is street legal but you ride it almost only off road, keep with the 606's or maybe try Pirelli MT18 and MT21, bitchin dirt tires and still DOT.

Dezertpilot

thumbs down to that tire....

I hated that thing. I took it off as soon as I could. The wear on it and traction was crap.
Which tire exactly are you talking about? The 739 or IT?

Dezertpilot

Im assuming your KTM is street legal but you ride it almost only off road, keep with the 606's or maybe try Pirelli MT18 and MT21, bitchin dirt tires and still DOT.
Yes but it does see a lot of local street riding.

BajaboundMoto

Dezertpilot - I think that dirtdudeaz was saying that Maxxis was a p.o.s.
I'd have to agree with that. It's super unpredictable. People talk how they like them because they're inexpensive and wear long. Still a pos in my book.

Both the 606 and 739 rears are totally predictable and handle great.
739 rear will work way better than the 606 on sand, still dirttrack slides well, and probably wont last quite as long.
I'd say if you ride a lot of mildly sandy stuff try the 739 and you'll like it more than the 606.
739 fronts come with a few designations- the one that reads "faj" is slightly heavier carcass which will be better for your 530. It's a great tire across the board.
Since you ride in the desert you're going to notice a huge improvement with a 739faj (or 756 or 745 for that matter) front over the 606.
606 front is a great tire and very tough. Really great for dirt road stuff.

Dezertpilot

I'd have to agree with that. It's super unpredictable. People talk how they like them because they're inexpensive and wear long. Still a pos in my book.

739 rear will work way better than the 606 on sand, still dirttrack slides well, and probably wont last quite as long.
I'd say if you ride a lot of mildly sandy stuff try the 739 and you'll like it more than the 606.
739 fronts come with a few designations- the one that reads "faj" is slightly heavier carcass which will be better for your 530. It's a great tire across the board.
Since you ride in the desert you're going to notice a huge improvement with a 739faj (or 756 or 745 for that matter) front over the 606.
What advantage do you see with the 739 front over the 606? Since they stopped making the 739 I will have to try the 756 or 745. I see a 908 on the Dunlop site, how is that tire? From what I am gathering the 739 chunks so I think I will not try out the 739 rear.

partybarge_pilot

I can tell you the 908 rears are OK in the dirt, 606's handle better but the 908 will last longer. On the street the 908 rear is really a hand full. I would rather run a 739 on the street than that heavy pig.

Dezertpilot

Ok I am so confused, PBarge after seeing what your 739 looked like on DR Im going to say I will not run that tire, maybe a 756. After what I read seems that people are 50/50 split on the Desert IT.

partybarge_pilot

Hey, the 739 missing 5 knobs still felt great on the street! That was the first time I ever lost knobs on the 300 so I'm kinda leaning to a bunk tire. The 500 would rip knobs of any tire so I don't really hold that agianst it.

Dezertpilot

Hey, the 739 missing 5 knobs still felt great on the street! That was the first time I ever lost knobs on the 300 so I'm kinda leaning to a bunk tire. The 500 would rip knobs of any tire so I don't really hold that agianst it.
Get your self a Service Honda KX500AF. They say its even better than the CR500AF:)

Total Loss

Agree with BBM- he should know.
The 606 sucks in the sand but good on hard pack and great wear.
739 faj front is one tough tire- I use it exclusively on the XR.
Some guys are using the Pirelli dot (old MT 18 I believe) ft with great results on the CRF- may try that one next.

Maxxis gets ejected off my CRF as soon as it wears out- back to Dunlops- too much chunking.

kenaroo

if were throwing other tires in the mix..

I gotta say the IRC m5b is a good tire.. IN the Rear only.. I hate IRC front tires.

I use the 140/80-18 on the rear and it has huge knobs.. I've put about 500 miles of rocky, sandy and rough highway miles on the tire and it still looking really good.
grips better than 908 and 606 dunlop.

on the front I prefer the dunlop 745 90/100 for hard packed riding or the 742 af for sandy

Dezertpilot

Some guys are using the Pirelli dot (old MT 18 I believe) ft with great results on the CRF- may try that one next.
I got a good recommendation on this tire today. And he said it was DOT approved. Might have to try this.