• Forum membership has its advantages....

Dakar '18 -Stage 1- Lima > Pisco

spalind

Americans (and Canadian) on the day:

Bikes:
Ricky Brabec 11th, 2:37 back
Andrew Short 27th, 4:51
Mark Samuels 35th, 6:06
Petr Vleck 65th, 10:58
Bill Conger 93rd, 22:37 (reportedly a navigation error and not used to new waypoint system)
Jack Lundin (CAD), 121st on the day, 36:40
Shane Esposito, 124th, 38:59 (again a navigation error as he passed Bill Conger on stage and then went off in the wrong direction--reportedly)

Cars:
Bryce Menzies 4th, :38 back
Jeff Sunderland (codriver in #384) ??? No finish recorded yet

Utah newspaper article on Sunderland: Eden man travels to South America to compete in grueling off-road race | KSL.com

Last edited:

spalind

Can’t win it on the first day but sure can lose it...Bryce positioned well...showing speed that WRC winner Mikko couldn’t match and neither could typical front runner Al-Rajhi...should be putting people on notice that he is for real

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Dirty Harry

Can’t win it on the first day but sure can lose it...Bryce positioned well...showing speed that WRC winner Mikko couldn’t match and neither could typical front runner Al-Rajhi...should be putting people on notice that he is for real
I am cautiously optimistic, with the emphasis on cautiously. If you look at prequel/stage 1 results for the last few years you will find quite a few names in the top ten that are never heard from again (Xavier Pons anyone?).

michael_loomis

I am cautiously optimistic, with the emphasis on cautiously. If you look at prequel/stage 1 results for the last few years you will find quite a few names in the top ten that are never heard from again (Xavier Pons anyone?).
Agreed. Today doesn’t mean a much of anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CFreeLV

Do they start mixing the cars and trucks tomorrow? Saw the lead truck had a time of 00:25:15 which would mean he will start 18th tomorrow...???

I'm thinking Peugots plan was to take it easy today so they will have a burnt in trail where they believe are at a disadvantage in the coming dune stages.

We know Nasser isnt holding anything back. Can he put a sizable gab on the field in the beginning stages and dial it down to be there at the end? Can't wait for tomorrow.