1. Forum membership has its advantages....
    Dismiss Notice

Dakar '18 -Stage 1- Lima > Pisco

Discussion in 'Rally Raid' started by E. Araiza, Jan 5, 2018.

1. GEO_DXB

GEO_DXB Well-Known Member

The Lebanese guys also rolled and I think are out of the race, there are some pictures around on facebook. Looks like people were not ready for dunes.

2. GEO_DXB

Will probably be demonized, but...

Since after Tom Coronel asked fans to donate money to pay his FIA fine I kinda have mixed feelings about Coronels. Yes, great to see 2 brothers racing together, yes they are fan-friendly and social media-friendly, they are famous for their coverage of any race they do. But is it being racers or being bloggers?

And back to racing - is it just me thinking that Damen's buggies are just a little too big and a little too heavy? I mean its great to have a car that is built sort of heavy-duty, and with a lot of endurance in mind but where's the balance between heavy, reliable, fast and more importantly easy to drive ? (especially for Coronels who drove those little single seaters before and by the looks of it didnt have much seat time in Damen's car)? What in RDC collective opinion is the right balance?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  3. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Well-Known Member

Fine?

I think that it depends on what sort of resources you have. I was amazed two years ago when Loeb rolled his car. He ate dinner and went to bed and the next morning the hammered car looked brand new. You can afford to be light if you have enough resources and the goal is to win.

If you are an adventure racer looking to finish, having something heavier and proven/sorted out seems like the best way to go at Dakar.

(+1) 1 person likes this.
  4. mrlentle

mrlentle Well-Known Member

Yep, a bit of elaboration on the FIA fine please George.
    Re the buggy - I'd imagine it's a whole new game for those boys jumping into a full size offroad car. I'd be equally concerned about the overheating. Here's hoping that's tied up with dragging brakes but is that really realistic?

5. GEO_DXB

6. mrlentle

mrlentle Well-Known Member

Hadn't come across this - I agree, it seems BS to expect fans to foot the bill if he broke the rules. Mixed feelings indeed.

7. mxenr

mxenr Well-Known Member

Good
    morning everyone, the Coronels first had a locked rear break and could not find the (cap) to put on after disconecting the break. that took a while, and as for the overheating, it was a sensor/computer fail. The engine self was ok, but another senor said overheating, and took the power down.

(+2) 2 people like this.
  8. michael_loomis

michael_loomis Babe

Won’t load for me :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. GEO_DXB

10. SteveRacer

SteveRacer Well-Known Member

I realize that the Coronels do not have thousands of miles on their vehicle but it is amazing that they have issues a few feet from the start.

11. michael_loomis

michael_loomis Babe

Thanks. That’s kind of silly.. but rules are rules I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. E. Araiza

E. Araiza Moderator

I just want to said that my prediction was right :)

(+4) 4 people like this.
  13. bajaxp

bajaxp Baja Bobsled Team

Aaaa...well...ahem...kablamo for BM.

14. Dirty Harry

So my prediction was kind of right too.

15. Chris Tobin

Chris Tobin Well-Known Member

I don't gamble, but I too feel that Nasser will DNF again this year pushing the Toy beyond it's capability to try to keep up with the Pugs and Minis...

16. Dirty Harry

So Chris do you still think that Dakar is "a boring race" this year?

17. Chris Tobin

Unfortunately my only Dakar experience so far has been catching up here and watching the NBCsn Stage 1 coverage during lunch!!! I hate deadlines that get in the way of my race viewing!!!!

Bummer about Bryce too bad the Mini Buggly couldn't soak up that bump better. Bummer to go out after 37 KMs of competition, he has got to be "gutted" and will be kicking himself over it for the next 11.9 Months!!!

From what I have read here, it sounds like the Pugs will run away with it again...

What team do you think SPH and CD will drive for next year? I think CS will retire and SPH may as well... What about SL, will be run again in something other than a Pug or will be be done with Dakar when Pug leaves???

18. Dirty Harry

Cliff notes- It has been a brutal race right from the start with many top bikes and cars suffered breakage and getting lost.

Good question about next year! Loeb has said he won’t come back with someone else, but I expect we will see Peterhansel and Depres return. Peterhansel jokes once about driving a T4 truck, that would be awesome!

If Depres doesn’t sign with a team I could see him and David Castera going to work for ASO. But I expect we will see another super team emerge once Peugeot leaves. That just seems to be the trend over the last decade.

19. Chris Tobin

I don't think it will be as much of a "Super Team" emerging once Pug leaves as much as the "next man up" where the Toyota's or Mini will be the top team and they will continue with basically whatever they have this year with much less development than in past years as they will simply assume the top position rather than overtake Pug...

Like when VW left Mini just took over as the top team with their existing cars didn't they??? I think Mini will be the top dog again once the Pug leaves, I wonder if SPH will come back to Mini or go to Toyota or ???

I wonder if Pug will sell their cars again and then "Privateer" teams will be running Pugs giving the mega teams fits?!?!?!

20. GEO_DXB

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted