• Forum membership has its advantages....

Dakar '18 -Stage 10- Salta > Belén

Navigation contest in the rios
The Dakar has covered pretty much all of this region… but the dunes that the racers will have to ride on the vast sandy plateau during the first part of the day are a new addition. Along the way, they will cross the path of the assistance vehicles on their way to Belén… and, for the first time, these will be allowed to intervene during the special stage. But beware! Time is ticking! At any rate, this is a navigation contest that will be decided in the river crossings at the end of the special stage

Liaison > 424 km - Special > 373 km

2c570.png
7f1ce.png

Overall times after Stage 9:
Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 11.30.15 AM.png

spalind

so with the 10 minute penalty NAAT will be 56 minutes back? Is that enough pressure to force CS into a patch of camel grass?

ctadarts

Brabec gets lost again!

Ricky Brabec is obviously not fully awake this morning. The American has strayed from the right track again after 64 km of the special, continuing for more than 3 km before realising his mistake. The official Honda rider is set to lose a lot of time today.

spalind

NAAT moving well but not gaining a ton of time. Even with SPH at WP1 and a minute up on Sainz...Pugs playing nicely with each other with Depres halting on the stage to run side by side with Sainz for assistance purposes.

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
Al Qassimi and Al Attiyah have always been at the pointy end of the Middle East Rally Championship and there is no love lost when it comes down to rally points. It is interesting to see Nasser vying for top position and Al Qassimi slowly creeping up. Just shows the nature of rally / raid...

BANNED4LIFE

Brabec gets lost again!

Ricky Brabec is obviously not fully awake this morning. The American has strayed from the right track again after 64 km of the special, continuing for more than 3 km before realising his mistake. The official Honda rider is set to lose a lot of time today.
dont they start next stage by the previous stage finish??? ....if so he was second off and has to navigate, cant follow all the tracks from the more experienced nav guys infront today......or i guess he can now after they all went by when he was lost....BUMMER

spalind

Al Qassimi and Al Attiyah have always been at the pointy end of the Middle East Rally Championship and there is no love lost when it comes down to rally points. It is interesting to see Nasser vying for top position and Al Qassimi slowly creeping up. Just shows the nature of rally / raid...
And not to get political but....given each of their royal positions of power and respective families, the blockade of Qatar airways, the view of the Libyan conflict as being a proxy war between the two countries, etc....I don't imagine there is a lot of assistance going on between the two camps...

We get cranky over here when someone drives a Ford vs. a Chevy or is riding on a different set of rubber...these guys have whole countries pointing guns at one another....brings a new level of competition to the game...

GEO_DXB

And not to get political but....given each of their royal positions of power and respective families, the blockade of Qatar airways, the view of the Libyan conflict as being a proxy war between the two countries, etc....I don't imagine there is a lot of assistance going on between the two camps...

We get cranky over here when someone drives a Ford vs. a Chevy or is riding on a different set of rubber...these guys have whole countries pointing guns at one another....brings a new level of competition to the game...
Regardless of their massive competition and beef between them (they DONT like each other)

Nasser is not royalty, Al Qassimi not much either.

Nasser's family is important in Qatar politics and some of them married into ruling Al Thani family, but not royalty. They're military and defense mainly. Nasser is a sports hero for the country and people - through Olympics even more than racing so he has state backing when he needs it. If you take some other families in Qatar - Kuwairi, Mohanadi, Al Hajri - which all have successful rally drivers - they are much more important in Qatari business and politics.

Al Qassimi is from the Abu Dhabi branch of the Al Qassimi family (rulers of Sharjah and Ras Al Khaimah emirates) , rich but I was told he is more of a business and sports person. Mark/Desert Dog might help me here but I think he got to prominence when he was able to secure sponsorships for his Abu Dhabi Racing rally team.

Unfortunately now politics gets in the way of sport - we still dont know if and how World Cup races will be run, since UAE and Qatar are no longer having transportation in between them.

WillG

I reckon Pugs plan is as follows:

- Peterhansel go as fast as possible to put the pressure on Nasser and get ahead of him in case Sainz runs into issues
- Sainz drive carefully but not lose too much time
- Despres hang back and provide support for both of the above if required

michael_loomis

I reckon Pugs plan is as follows:

- Peterhansel go as fast as possible to put the pressure on Nasser and get ahead of him in case Sainz runs into issues
- Sainz drive carefully but not lose too much time
- Despres hang back and provide support for both of the above if required
You either have a crystal ball... or been paying attention to the last 2 stages lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxenr

Does anyone has info what happened to #313 NICOLAS FUCHS (PER)? He still not arrived at WP1.
could be 2 things, race is over, or tracking is not working. Erik Wevers, is his backup driver and is already at wp2.
(but he lost time in the first part)