• Forum membership has its advantages....

Dakar '18 -Stage 10- Salta > Belén

WillG

Sainz now 13 minutes down to Peterhansel in the stage and over 10minutes down to Nasser. At this rate his overall lead over Nasser drops to 46 minutes who in turn is just 5 minutes ahead of Peterhansel.

I reckon Pugs plan is as follows:

- Peterhansel go as fast as possible to put the pressure on Nasser and get ahead of him in case Sainz runs into issues
- Sainz drive carefully but not lose too much time
- Despres hang back and provide support for both of the above if required
For sure but Sainz needs to push quite a bit either way

BANNED4LIFE

Sainz now 13 minutes down to Peterhansel in the stage and over 10minutes down to Nasser. At this rate his overall lead over Nasser drops to 46 minutes who in turn is just 5 minutes ahead of Peterhansel.
stop it.....he just cruising....;)

BANNED4LIFE

Yes you are right, just wonder if he’ll pick his pace up a little tomorrow
no need, imo, just preserve the car and win the rally.....by 5 minutes.....with SPH second.....desprees finishes as well to help them drink the champagne.....

spalind

SPH puts :44 on NAAT at WP2....now to see just how easy Sainz is taking things then a
Yes you are right, just wonder if he’ll pick his pace up a little tomorrow
I dunno...the stage isn't over yet...gap down to 46 minutes...at this pace the gap may be under 40 minutes by the end...not sure that's what the Pug team envisioned...a single navigation error, flat or stuck and you have a neck and neck race.

mxenr

second part of stage is a lot of navigation, top bikers are already lost more than 10km of the track. a lot is going to change especialy with tomorrows Super Fiambala stage.

SteveRacer

Peterhansel had put Sainz 30 minutes back the first week of the rally before his issue. Sainz cannot affort to take it too easy. Sainz will fair better in the WRC stages but that gap could disappear quickly with more dune sections.

michael_loomis

The longest stage of the rally is stage 12. I expect the ASO to shorten it for some extreme heat or other silly reason, so that CS can remain in cruise control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirty Harry

I dunno...the stage isn't over yet...gap down to 46 minutes...at this pace the gap may be under 40 minutes by the end...not sure that's what the Pug team envisioned...a single navigation error, flat or stuck and you have a neck and neck race.
Doesn't it make more sense though to throttle back a little bit so that you DON'T make those navigation errors or get a flat? Plus, it doesn't make sense for Sainz to win a stage and have to open a course at this point in the race. I think that his approach is a mature one.

Last edited:

spalind

Could very well see KTM lose its Dakar streak...Yamaha of Van Beveren (a Frenchie! ASO will love that!) will likely be on top of the podium for the day and the overall when things wrap up today.