1. Forum membership has its advantages....
    Dismiss Notice

Dakar '18 -Stage 11- Belén > Fiambalá > Chilecito

Discussion in 'Rally Raid' started by E. Araiza, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Spark

Spark Well-Known Member

And it's Villagras home soil + wrc style stages ahead till the finish of the race. He suddenly becomes the man to beat.

2. RGFan

RGFan Well-Known Member

3. E. Araiza

E. Araiza Moderator

The two-time World Rally champion was subsequently assessed a 10-minute penalty for "potentially dangerous" conduct, but the sanction appeased neither side – with Sainz saying the penalty left him "disgusted", and Koolen feeling it was not severe enough and threatening criminal action.

On Tuesday night, Peugeot – after calling the decision "incomprehensible" and vowing to appeal – provided the Dakar stewards with telemetry from Sainz's 3008DKR Maxi and other relevant information.

This prompted the cancellation of the penalty and the issuing of "a formal advice to crew #303 [Sainz/Lucas Cruz] to take extra care while overtaking other competitors".

"The telemetry does not show any crashes," said Peugeot Sport boss Bruno Famin. "Maybe a brush, but nothing like an impact. The accelerometer didn't register it, just as Carlos hadn't.

"In the telemetry you can see Carlos follows the quad during 12 seconds at 50km/h and when the quad loses control, he brakes again to 37km/h.

4. blue dog

blue dog Well-Known Member

Las Vegas Nevada. Way up near the red rocks
    Sport boss Bruno Famin. "Maybe a brush, but nothing like an impact. The accelerometer didn't register it, C5A6109C-9D9F-4DC1-85E2-747D265A1CE7.png

5. y2kbaja

y2kbaja Well-Known Member

On the NBC broadcast they interviewed both sides. The quad DID have some damage. He for sure had a fender or tire rub against the side of the quad causing some minor damage. But criminal charges!?! really!?!?

(+1) 1 person likes this.
  6. bajaxp

bajaxp Baja Bobsled Team

I saw that NBCSN Dakar interview with that cat on the quad Koolen. He seems like a total knob, looking for a fight or a lawsuit...or? I feel like grabbing him by the shoulders and saying...'this is Dakar, Sally.' LOL

(+4) 4 people like this.
  7. mrlentle

mrlentle Well-Known Member

I think reality would be Koolen has hurt his pride more than anything and may well have a chocolate stain in his race undies. Not a nice experience but it's what can and does happen in racing. I think wildly over dramatised - no harm, no foul. I suspect if CS had popped is door and said "are you OK" it would have been a nothing. Good chance CS genuinely never knew of the contact.

(+3) 3 people like this.
  8. BANNED4LIFE

BANNED4LIFE Well-Known Member

the interview i saw, koolen seems like a TOTAL weasel.....kinda ashamed he has maxxis branding......and the story was that it was in a VERY muddy section, so carlos probably couldnt stop very close to the incident or fear getting stuck.....koolen acted like he was hurt and had to fix his quad but the tracker showed he didnt stop for any amount of time at all.....BS story....

(+4) 4 people like this.
  9. TMorford

TMorford Well-Known Member

Agreed that there had to be some kind of collision but the quad looked brand new aside from a tweaked toolbox that they mount down by the footpegs. The kicker was the rider showing off his "injury" and it looked like a quarter size bruise that could have come from a kicked up rock. I don't think that his involvement with the Toyota team has anything to do with his stance, I think its more of the Euro "prim and proper" style of racing while we are used to slamming each other's bumpers. Remember when RG nerfed someone that wouldn't move? Then they showed Esposito's arm that was entirely black and blue which seems more in line with being slammed by a car...

10. bajaxp

bajaxp Baja Bobsled Team

Agree...^^^. Compare Esposito's nasty looking arm and supposedly his leg looks just as bad, to that little 'boo boo' that Koolen had. F1 vs soccer.jpg

(+5) 5 people like this.
  11. Hog Wild

Hog Wild Well-Known Member

Once again, all the American motos have finished the day. Ricky Brabec placed 4th on the day, with Andrew Short and Mark Samuels placing 13th and 14th. Once again, GREAT JOB guys!!

Overall results so far:
    upload_2018-1-17_13-43-12.png

(+6) 6 people like this.
  12. Short Bus

Short Bus Well-Known Member

It seems like a couple of these guys might be fast enough to compete with the best, they just need to spend some more time with you in the desert and on the dunes to nail down the navigation.

13. BANNED4LIFE

BANNED4LIFE Well-Known Member

(+4) 4 people like this.
  14. Hog Wild

Hog Wild Well-Known Member

All but Esposito raced Sonora Rally. Hopefully we'll get them all back again this year! I also have a bunch of training roadbook routes that they have used. That's how most of them got their first experience with rally navigation. Rally is finally starting to catch on in North America, I think in large part because some big name guys are getting into it and that makes a lot of the little guys more curious.

(+2) 2 people like this.
  15. michael_loomis

michael_loomis Babe

Lmao. Rubbins racin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. RGFan

RGFan Well-Known Member

Agreed, what a putz

17. WillG

WillG Well-Known Member

Koolen stated that Sainz was going at top speed or something close to it - but the telematics suggests he was actually doing between 50km/h and 30km/h!

18. spalind

spalind Well-Known Member

You know how you know you're a toolbag? When you get involved in vehicle to vehicle contact with the Pug team and YOU end up looking and sounding like the DB in the situation...

(+3) 3 people like this.
  19. PathfinderCS

PathfinderCS Active Member

That's pretty much my thinking. How do you even do that!? The guy is a total ass; period.

20. off2desert

off2desert Well-Known Member

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted