• Forum membership has its advantages....

Dakar '18 -Stage 12- Fiambalá > Chilecito > San Juan

mrlentle

Another fun day in jagernauts category.
After yesterday's troubles with broken driveshaft, former leader of the race, Nikolaev ended the day on second position +16min overall after Villagra. But later, Villagra was penalised for 15min for the broken straps on his front suspension. That had reduced his leadership margin by only 1minute on Nikolaev.
Today, on stage 12 Nikolaev lost 30min,for unknown yet reason, in the beginning of the stage. But right after that Villagra, in his turn, lost 22min. So right now, as i write this, after WP8 the gap between them in virtual overall standings is 3minuts for Villagra. Quite entartaning for 12 stage of a long race I might say ;):)
Now that's exciting racing!!!

Chris Tobin

That is an interesting take for sure. RG added a lot of interest and drama to the rally for sure. It is human nature to want to root for the underdog but I'm not certain I would say he made me "proud" particularly...
While there were instances that he did something to make me shake my head, there were many more positives than negatives for me...

Short Bus

Another fun day in jagernauts category.
After yesterday's troubles with broken driveshaft, former leader of the race, Nikolaev ended the day on second position +16min overall after Villagra. But later, Villagra was penalised for 15min for the broken straps on his front suspension. That had reduced his leadership margin by only 1minute on Nikolaev.
Today, on stage 12 Nikolaev lost 30min,for unknown yet reason, in the beginning of the stage. But right after that Villagra, in his turn, lost 22min. So right now, as i write this, after WP8 the gap between them in virtual overall standings is 3minuts for Villagra. Quite entartaning for 12 stage of a long race I might say ;):)
It is interesting that someone gets a 15 minute penalty for broken limiting straps and someone else only got a 10 minute penalty for potentially dangerous driving (I know that one has been rescinded).

Dirty Harry

It is interesting that someone gets a 15 minute penalty for broken limiting straps and someone else only got a 10 minute penalty for potentially dangerous driving (I know that one has been rescinded).
Yeah I raised my eyebrows when i saw that one also!

mrlentle

Limiting straps issue would be more about the extra suspension travel (i. potential cheating) than the fact they're broken I'd imagine. There was a kiwi way back who used to bodge weld shocks to standard mounts in a control class. They were allowed extra shocks but had to have the standards in place too. As soon as racing started, the standard ones would break and you had extended travel. Rough, but tricky :confused:

BANNED4LIFE

Limiting straps issue would be more about the extra suspension travel (i. potential cheating) than the fact they're broken I'd imagine. There was a kiwi way back who used to bodge weld shocks to standard mounts in a control class. They were allowed extra shocks but had to have the standards in place too. As soon as racing started, the standard ones would break and you had extended travel. Rough, but tricky :confused:
rg is a kiwi????

Spark

Penalty for stripes is in the rules as I can recall. And it is obviously and simply verifieble fact during post finish inspection. It's can be broken or not, no other options=)
It's not he said she said versions of one episode from two different persons with out any vitnesses or photo's/videos.

Spark

And I don't know how to judge that episode of Carlos collision the right way. Is there a right way in this situation? I've listened versions from both sides and to me it's just a racing episode. I mean cmon fastest crews do dosens of passes like that every day. There is sentinel for that. It worked, koolen herd it.... then they didn't understand each other.
There is one thing in that situation: if Carlos slightly hit him and didn't notice that, so it is how it is, how could you complane?
But if he slightly hit him, notice it, he must stop and make sure that he was OK. Did he hit him, notice that and moved on not giving a I failed high school, so he is complete moron? We never know that I guess.... but to me he is not that type of person and I believe in his version.

JPBart

My bet is he rubbed him and it scared the hell out of the rider who doesn't feel like he is getting the respect he wants so he is throwing a tantrum and making a big deal about it.

He may have a lot of money and be very successful but he is delusional if he thinks he has better lawyers than Peugeot and can somehow use them to create proof that Sainz tried to kill him. First, what are his damages? A tool box and a bruise. Proof that Sainz is the one who damaged the tool box and caused the bruise? On the flip side Sainz has telemetry that shows there was not a measurable impact.

Stop being snowflake and sack up. You are paying a lot of money to go on the adventure of a lifetime. Now you have a cool story to tell around the bench racing.

GEO_DXB

3) Refuelling

a) The supply of fuel only is authorised, under penalty of Disqualification:

 at commercial service stations in the Stage towns or on the Road Sections;

 via distributors approved by the Organisers (list available upon request) at the Bivouac in the area

provided for this purpose;

 at the Organiser’s distribution points (Bike refuelling for SxS Vehicles and any other points for the

EV Challenge Vehicles).

b) Refuelling out of barrels is forbidden on Road Sections. Refuelling is authorised on Road Sections only at the petrol stations, only with local fuel, available from the pump of the petrol station.
Fuel delivery is allowed only at the Bivouacs or at the petrol stations of the towns of the Bivouacs (Stage town).

c) When there is no petrol station close to the Bivouac, the Organiser will make fuel available at the Bivouac, which will be delivered in barrels (Diesel and 95 octane lead-free). Order forms will be sent out by the Organiser in September and must be returned by November 25th, 2016. Tickets corresponding to orders will be given to Competitors at Administrative Checks so that Competitors may obtain fuel at the Bivouacs concerned.

d) For safety reasons, refuelling at the Bivouac can only be done in areas designed and signposted by the Organiser, with the exception of diesel vehicles, which can refuel directly from barrels with their assistance. The Competitor must have a fire extinguisher within arm’s reach and be at a respectable distance from other Vehicles.
The responsibility during refuelling is the Competitor’s alone. Engines must be stopped during all refuelling. The Competitor must remain outside the Vehicle during refuelling.

e) Refuelling between racing Vehicles is authorised.

f) The filling of fuel tanks of T1 and T2 diesel Cars can only be made from T4 or T5 Trucks, if the fuel tank of the Truck is located outside the bodywork of the Truck, under the Vehicle.
T5 Trucks can only refuel at the Bivouac.

g) The failure to respect the clauses listed above will result in penalties up to and including Disqualification. Checks will be made.

GEO_DXB

There's some tool boxes outside the trucks, so can presume assistance. Need to see if assistance would be allowed and legal - otherwise could be 3 hours penalty on top of refuel issues.

Expect KAMAZ to write a proper protest and stick to it - they need that win to secure the state budget and keep on.