1. Forum membership has its advantages....
    Dismiss Notice

Dakar '18 -Stage 2- Pisco > Pisco

Discussion in 'Rally Raid' started by mxenr, Jan 6, 2018.

1. vegasloki

vegasloki Well-Known Member

The mobile app is even worse. I wasn't able to follow in real time and when I heard about Bryce out and Pete likely breaking an ankle I tried to find something there. Should have come here first, way better than the host app.

ASO needs to bite the bullet and get someone from the Valley to make the thing for them. It looks nice enough but trying to find anything is a chore.

(+2) 2 people like this.
  2. mrlentle

mrlentle Well-Known Member

Vegas, you need to look at it with a French accent and you'll be sweet :D

(+3) 3 people like this.
  3. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Well-Known Member

Right? Unlike the last few years that started on the Rally roads of Argentina where the top finishers were only separated by mere seconds i think we will see big swings in the dunes. Personally I think it is rad that a guy who is maybe 40 minutes down still has a fighting chance at the podium.

(+2) 2 people like this.
  4. Silverstone

Silverstone Well-Known Member

We haven't seen much of the big boys, so here we go !!

(+3) 3 people like this.
  5. Silverstone

Silverstone Well-Known Member

6. E. Araiza

E. Araiza Moderator

That is gnarly!!!

7. mrlentle

[/QUOTE]
    Enlighten me - how come the US built cars overheat? I realise the terrain is different to what can be tested back home but the Coronels car now looks like RG's did after he was adding vents/air dams/holes to try and keep it cool. I understand how different vehicle speeds can be compared to Score style racing but really? Did the Jimcos suffer when they were more prevalent in Rally Raid as I don't remember seeing as such? What about the Brenthel car - any input?

8. mrlentle

Rough day for our Lithuanian friend. Bad day for no windscreen!

(+1) 1 person likes this.
  9. klajunas

klajunas Well-Known Member

few rolls:

A short summary of day 2 with beautiful scenery :

10. klajunas

Lyndon Poskitt video

11. klajunas

how new Minis are 'made' - kids look away, xxx stuff, Minis mating... next year we could see a new '4wd buggy' probably... jokes aside, really bad start for Mini's team

[​IMG]

(+4) 4 people like this.
  12. blue dog

blue dog Well-Known Member

Las Vegas Nevada. Way up near the red rocks
    What does a truck like the Kamaz tip the scale at race ready ? With fuel has to be 25,000 lbs, or am I way off ?

The new Jefferies car sure shares a lot of looks with RG’s humbuggy thingamajig.

It’s only stage 3, lots will change by the end of this stage. Let’s hope GDV stays in the top 4, is patiently waiting to attack, buying his time now where he can follow tracks and be safe with a clean run and podium for the day.

Lastly, the Coronel Bros, sure do have the social media thing down. I hope the finish.

Thanks for the updates guys, have a great day.

13. randy1123

randy1123 Well-Known Member

I truly feel for Bryce.
    Trip/experience of a lifetime that hopefully he bounces back from and has the funding to do again next year.
    The list is absent of American Flags, hopefully one day someone can bring home the gold.
    Thanks Bryce for the effort, and know that it will come one day.

(+2) 2 people like this.
  14. mrlentle

You still have some flags about the place ;)
    upload_2018-1-9_6-46-22.png

(+2) 2 people like this.
  15. bajaxp

bajaxp Baja Bobsled Team

Enlighten me - how come the US built cars overheat? I realise the terrain is different to what can be tested back home but the Coronels car now looks like RG's did after he was adding vents/air dams/holes to try and keep it cool. I understand how different vehicle speeds can be compared to Score style racing but really? Did the Jimcos suffer when they were more prevalent in Rally Raid as I don't remember seeing as such? What about the Brenthel car - any input?[/QUOTE]

'Enlighten me - how come the US built cars overheat?'

That is an amazing generalization...nicely played. That is like saying, 'Enlighten me - how come French built cars have brake failure?' (Leob reference from day one.) But regarding the one Jeffries car this year that is unfortunately having cooling issues; it is likely a simple case of a brand new car that didn't have enough test time in the heat and/or dunes before being shipped off to Europe.

16. mrlentle

Hardly a generalization when read in context with the whole piece of text including as to if the Jimcos and the Brenthell car had heat issues which I don't think they did (as stated). I'm just at a loss as to why heat seems to be overlooked when I'd have though heat would be a primary focus for anything in the dunes. Loeb is one car with brake failure whereas the Coronel car looks in a similar hodge podge state to the RG car of not long ago with holes etc added to remedy cooling issues. Make more sense?

17. bajaxp

bajaxp Baja Bobsled Team

The year that the Gordini had cooling issuesm it too was being slammed together at the last moment and obviously it also didn't have enough testing time either. Make more sense?

(+2) 2 people like this.
  18. mrlentle

Sure does

19. Hog Wild

Hog Wild Well-Known Member

DUNES. Testing at Sonora Rally would help understand what is need to survive big dunes.

(+4) 4 people like this.
  20. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Well-Known Member

Well it isn’t the first US car to have cooling issues at Dakar, so no need to get defensive. The Gordini has the same issue, and the Brenthel car a few years back. Can’t remember if Nasser’s buggly has this issue...

I am just guessing but I think it is a function of adding a windshield to cars that are traditionally built without one and with the radiator up high behind the occupants. That configuration doesn’t work for Dakar though.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted