• Forum membership has its advantages....

Dakar '18 -Stage 2- Pisco > Pisco

TMorford

Hardly a generalization when read in context with the whole piece of text including as to if the Jimcos and the Brenthell car had heat issues which I don't think they did (as stated). I'm just at a loss as to why heat seems to be overlooked when I'd have though heat would be a primary focus for anything in the dunes. Loeb is one car with brake failure whereas the Coronel car looks in a similar hodge podge state to the RG car of not long ago with holes etc added to remedy cooling issues. Make more sense?
US cars overheating follows the general theme of US cars (and teams in some cases) coming together at the last minute and having limited testing time. I don't think that there has ever been a US team that has focused on Dakar for an entire year building, testing, rebuilding and repeating the way Puegot, Mini, Toyota etc do.

GEO_DXB

Well on top of Bryce....

Kolomy - collision with a car, but was able to continue

Artur Ardavicius -

Artur Ardavichus from Kazakhstan fared less well. The Astana driver of Team De Rooy lost an hour and a half in the dunes. Things went terribly wrong, said navigator Serge Bruynkens. "It was a day that could have been very beautiful. It went pretty well until we did not get up on a dune. We turned back and exactly in our path is a car that was built by Jurgen (Damen, the navigator of Gerard de Rooy and Koen Wauters, among others, who got killed two years ago), with the driver next to it."

"Braking does not work, steering does not work, it was an inevitable impact: We crushed that car. If that man had not stood at the door, he would have been dead. The door has pushed the car away from the dune. That was his salvation. It was a horrible incident, that affected all three of us. I’m still not over it.”
Jurgen Schroeder in the Nissan Navara - rolled but able to get to finish, losing 2 hours.

Dirty Harry

Does anyone know what the cooling setup was on El Martillo’s car? It was fully enclosed and had three seats so i would think space was limited, but I do not recall it having cooling problems (maybe I just forgot).

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

blue dog

Forgot about the El Martillo car. Did it not get rebuilt ? I do not remember any cooling issues with it.

Last edited:

Hog Wild

Does anyone know what the cooling setup was on El Martillo’s car? It was fully enclosed and had three seats so i would think space was limited, but I do not recall it having cooling problems (maybe I just forgot).
Darren and I took El Martillo out to the big Sonora dunes to test, and they blew up their motor.

Chris Tobin

Thanks Hog and Harry, that was more the answers I was looking for. Wasn't trying to wind anyone up. If I wanted to do that I'd have asked Chris T why the Gordini wasn't there :eek:.
The Gordini in its current state should have never been there.... A Gordini bodied next gen Hummer with a turbo diesel engine YES!!!!

I do wonder if RG will ever come back to Dakar? I think the next time we see him over there will be as a team manager/owner for Max Gordon!!! Maybe with Sheldon Creed as a veteran driver for the two car team!!!

michael_loomis

Sadly I don’t ever see him going back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bricoop

The Gordini in its current state should have never been there.... A Gordini bodied next gen Hummer with a turbo diesel engine YES!!!!

I do wonder if RG will ever come back to Dakar? I think the next time we see him over there will be as a team manager/owner for Max Gordon!!! Maybe with Sheldon Creed as a veteran driver for the two car team!!!
I wonder if Textron would be interested? 2 Gordini 2.0s and a few UTVs would certainly get some media coverage. We can dream, Chris.

Last edited:

Short Bus

With the Pugs out if the picture next year, I could maybe see RG deciding to give it a try again. I remember in his last Dakar, he complained that they were too fast, almost suggesting they were cheating. I can see Capt. Ahab coming back with a new Pequod, not ready to give up on it.

MX304

I wonder if Textron would be interested? 2 Gordini 2.0s and a few UTVs would certainly get some media coverage. We can dream, Chris.
Robby was on the Dinner With Racers podcast and said the Textron deal would most likely be his path back to Dakar. He didn't get specific but it sounded like a UTV race deal.

Robby was on the Dinner With Racers podcast and said the Textron deal would most likely be his path back to Dakar. He didn't get specific but it sounded like a UTV race deal.
Set up for Max and his racing future

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk