1. Forum membership has its advantages....
    Dismiss Notice

Dakar '18 - Stage 3 - Pisco > San Juan de Marcona

Discussion in 'Rally Raid' started by E. Araiza, Jan 7, 2018.

1. GEO_DXB

GEO_DXB Well-Known Member

modified by Schlesser yes.

2. bajaxp

bajaxp Baja Bobsled Team

Whatever happened to the TT Touregs? Mark Miller have? Museum? I think Danny Percell (sp?) worked on that thang.

3. BANNED4LIFE

BANNED4LIFE Well-Known Member

they thought that throwing millions at it was going to mean a guaranteed win in baja.....not that easy...too many variables and good, experienced, privateer teams to deal with....

4. michael_loomis

michael_loomis Babe

Why did he modify? Just asking.. not being snarky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. BANNED4LIFE

hahahahahhah....grasping....after called out.....nice, french style?

6. GEO_DXB

Im not JLS so i dont know why exactly. But guess a lot of it is the european vs. USA way + his driving style and african experience + getting parts. Remember it was 90s so back than you hardly had internet and all this. Even now we spend hours trying to chase US companies to procure things while he could get smth done locally in France quicker. I remember reading about his buggies as a kid and they said in motorsport magazines that he changed lots of things in the setup.

7. TMorford

TMorford Well-Known Member

Im not hating at all. Aside from an American chassis in the late 90s and early 2000s, what car has been built completely in the states and competed for an overall win aside from the Hummbuggy?

8. tractoR

tractoR Well-Known Member

Are you trying to prove a point that trophy trucks would be sooo much better in the Argentina twisty stages?
    Apples and oranges are two very different forms of offroad racing, neither being better than the other, only different.
    2WD long travel works so much better today in Dakar not only because that's what Yanks swear by, they also benefit from more favourable regulations, greater engineering and financial effort from the team, and excellent racing crews.

(+2) 2 people like this.
  9. michael_loomis

michael_loomis Babe

It’s important to note, JLS did it in his own Porsche powered buggies first.. in the 90’s before he ever bought anything from Jimco. It was a beam car.. any guesses where the beam car/Porsche combo came from?

(+1) 1 person likes this.
  10. GEO_DXB

Oh getting all personal there... Ego or just being yourself?

11. michael_loomis

michael_loomis Babe

After his own buggies... it was time to upgrade. VW apparently contracted Jimco in 2003. Schlesser and several others followed suit.

12. GEO_DXB

Porsche built Poch Ladas so maybe he picked up the engines through the french Porsche connection. But he also knew lots of people through stage rallies.

13. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Well-Known Member

I would love to see more Americans get involved in rally raid. Like Baja, the majority of Dakar racers are "gentleman racers" who are not necessarily competitive for the overall win, but go for their own reasons. For these guys, just like in Baja, to even reach the finish line is a win.

The truth is though, Dakar makes racing a Trophy Truck at the 1000 look like a trip to the local go-cart track in terms of cost. It would take a huge investment to be competitive. The fact that RG was able to nip at the giant's heels with his (relatively) low budget program is definitely a big part of his appeal.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    (+4) 4 people like this.
  14. BANNED4LIFE

dakar rules TOTALLY determine what to build for each year, i get it....its constantly changing and thats why they go from big to small and 4by to 2wd....i get it....im just laughing at the guy that said u.s. built stuff doesnt compete, he obviously forgot about shlesser....main reason us teams dont do dakar is nobody in u.s. cares, no sponsors or money to make it happen....it sucks, it would be awesome to have a $25mil team with rob mac and andy and luke and our best guys going to try and win it, but i dont see that happening

15. michael_loomis

michael_loomis Babe

IMG_9231.JPG
    IMG_9232.JPG
    IMG_9233.JPG
    IMG_9234.JPG
    IMG_9235.JPG

Cars from the era and before.. except that last one. That’s me and a buddies car getting ready to race in 06. But that’s an old McMillin car now still racing in Australia.

16. GEO_DXB

Since you dont really shut up - I race a US built buggy modified by a mix of brits and americans in the World Cup events. Guess that makes me a guy who knows more than you.

17. BANNED4LIFE

just laughing at you....thinking we cant build cars for this....try again...

18. michael_loomis

michael_loomis Babe

We can’t build reliable cars apparently. Lol. Nasser in the Humbuggy really put on a show, until he broke it.

19. BANNED4LIFE

pics?

20. GEO_DXB

Do I need to bother? I kinda understand there are people who need to have the last word in every conversation and I'm happy to give you the opportunity. Just hoping here you will say something meaningful.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted