• Forum membership has its advantages....

Dakar '18 - Stage 4 - San Juan de Marcona > San Juan de Marcona

Short Bus

Things I thought were interesting in this video:
1) Even though the Toyota (Nasser) got the holeshot with 4wd, the Pugs were blowing past by the 1/8th mile. In another shot, a Mini was pulling on Toyota as well. Even with the weight/restrictor changes in the last couple years, the Diesels are still faster.
2). Baumel still looks less than 100%
Screenshot_20180109-165401.png

3) Is this dropoff really on the marked course or is this a short cut?
Screenshot_20180109-164716.png

It is quite a race this year. Sainz and/or Loeb will likely still make a mistake so Nasser still has a shot at a decent finish.

GEO_DXB

1) maybe not full throttle to let them go play and follow the lead until the right spot. but maybe not, hard to say
2) feel for him, its hard as it is and when you're not at your 100% its miserable. Nasser was helping with wheel change too... Nice of him
3) going through different videos - some of them came from up to to the same spot - also Nasser, but Amos showed up from the river bed, many others too... Maybe some guys on top take more risks and navigators try to cut here and there.

michael_loomis

I’m sure some of them use google earth to try and find better lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hog Wild

They tightened the rules this year so they can't do that. You get the road book, ASO provided GPS and an emergency sat phone. I doubt they would try to get a cheater mobile sat rig on the car through tech.
It's still possible for the support team to map the course on Google Earth back in Europe, which the navigator or other helper can then use during the evening in the bivouac or back in Europe to make extra "cheater" notes (text comments) in the roadbook. Useful cheater notes might mark points where you can shortcut a corner, or mark particular hazards such as an "unexpected" extra sharp turn on those twisty smooth Argentine roads where you might easily run off the road into a large bolder (i.e. Robby Gordon), or identify an easy bypass around a difficult large dune climb. There are all kinds of "mapping" things that the new rule seems to miss.

michael_loomis

They tightened the rules this year so they can't do that. You get the road book, ASO provided GPS and an emergency sat phone. I doubt they would try to get a cheater mobile sat rig on the car through tech.
It’s not like the ASO takes away their cell phones and iPads in the biv. Lol. I’m not talking about in car stuff... just prior nights recon. A lot to be said about being semi familiar with something before you actually see it.

You can scout out lots of things that are identifiable via road book... like when to hop into a wash after a dune section or vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spalind

Pug, Pug, Pug at the top with the Toyota's playing catch up in 4 and 5...about what you would have predicted...

Prokop in the Ford in 9th and Amos in 6th are the pleasant news to me so far.

XRaid/Mini is well of the pace with only a single car in the top 10...not at the very pointy end of the field anymore...

North Americans update (not mentioning Cars anymore as we know how that is...)

Ricky Brabec, Finished 24th on the day and sits 12th overall, 21 minutes back
Andrew Short, Finished 22nd on the day (!) and sits 22nd overall, 53 minutes back
Shane Esposito, Finished 28th on the day and sits 55th overall, 3:25 back
Mark Samuels, Finished 35th on the day and sits 53rd overall, 3:16 back
Jack Lundin, Finished 91st on the day and sits 104th overall, 9:10 back
Petr Vleck, Finished 65th on the day and sits 66th overall, 4:40 back
Bill Conger, Finished 95th on the day and sits 97th overall, 8:05 back

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
Post from Damen's FB:

Finally a trouble free stage at the #DakarRally for @timcoronel and @tomcoronelracing. The #Beast has been plagued with vapor locking issues from the poor quality fuel. We opted to try #AvGas today and so far so good. A big thank you to @jameslinmotorsports who’s tuning was spot on from 4,400 miles away. #Dakar2018 #JefferiesRacing #Beast347 #SanJuanDeMarcona

mrlentle

Post from Damen's FB:

Finally a trouble free stage at the #DakarRally for @timcoronel and @tomcoronelracing. The #Beast has been plagued with vapor locking issues from the poor quality fuel. We opted to try #AvGas today and so far so good. A big thank you to @jameslinmotorsports who’s tuning was spot on from 4,400 miles away. #Dakar2018 #JefferiesRacing #Beast347 #SanJuanDeMarcona
Great news!

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
And from Sam Sunderland:

Thank you for all the kind messages, sorry to be out so soon and let down my team and supporters, I’m currently sat here feeling pretty lucky it’s a scary thing to loose the feeling in your legs but now it’s ok, I still have some pain from 2 squashed discs but I will be ok soon enough. Good luck to my team for the rest of the race!