• Forum membership has its advantages....

Dakar '18 -Stage 5- San Juan de Marcona > Arequipa

Each going their separate ways
Feature of the day: bikes and quads will take a separate route from the cars and trucks. The race will start at daybreak, and follow the two different sections of special stage on the programme. The crews will therefore be the first to discover the sands of Tanaka, traversing terrain such as the 30 or so kilometres of mountainous dunes. The road to Arequipa will be long for everyone. And there may well be some late arrivals at the bivouac

Liaison > 508 km - Special > 266 km

a31fb.png
ab7cb.png

Current Standings:
Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 2.01.21 PM.png

Edit: Sorry, I updated the actual overall times after Stage 4

Last edited:

michael_loomis

Mikko and Yazeed not doing too bad after 4 considering all the stops. Those new Pugs suffer any new car blues and they might be the guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michael_loomis

Ya.. I was looking at his old picture lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spalind

Still hoping Loeb takes this before heading off into the sunset...

Anyone with thoughts on what they are going to do with these Pugs after they close up shop? Sell them off like the prior year Pugs?

Dirty Harry

Man what a race. Lots of heavy hitters missing from that top ten list, and that is only after four stages! Roma out. Menzies out. Depres out. Hirvonnen not in the top ten. Terranova not in the top ten...

Nasser an hour back in fourth, this is starting to feel like Dakar!

mrlentle

Man what a race. Lots of heavy hitters missing from that top ten list, and that is only after four stages! Roma out. Menzies out. Depres out. Hirvonnen not in the top ten. Terranova not in the top ten...

Yep - a little more exciting than last year :cool:

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
What is also interesting is that the bivouac has been in the same place which allows the teams to rest up and have more time to knock cars back into shape. It's the constant change of bivouac locations which is the killer.

vAnDiX

1. 06:41 Despres blasts into the special
    Cyril Despres has just started today's special. The Peugeot driver broke one of the rear wheels yesterday and had to spend many hours waiting for his assistance truck to arrive. Despres reached the bivouac in the wee hours and got little rest before starting what is sure to be another gruelling stage.

ZequeArgentina

It looks like Loeb, Despres, Garafulic, Giniel, Yacopini, all are stuck meters from the other.
Today seems to be the real fulter of the Dakar!!
If those with the best machines, preparation and resources are already severel stuck, I can´t imagine how the rest of the field (and Trucks) will cope with that!

spalind

It looks like Loeb, Despres, Garafulic, Giniel, Yacopini, all are stuck meters from the other.
Today seems to be the real fulter of the Dakar!!
If those with the best machines, preparation and resources are already severel stuck, I can´t imagine how the rest of the field (and Trucks) will cope with that!
No Peterhansel, Sainz or NAAT on that list....could be some consolidation at the top today