• Forum membership has its advantages....

Dakar '18 -Stage 5- San Juan de Marcona > Arequipa

SteveRacer

This video potentially sums up why so many US built Dakar vehicles have cooling issues. US builders do not typically build vehicles with enough cooling capacity to cool an engine solely from cooling fans (no additional air pressure) with an engine continually at full or near full load so when it becomes necessary, they may easily miss the mark the first time out. These dunes as shown in this video will definitely put a strain on any cooling system.
Cooling is an issue, vapor lock seems to be the real struggle.

Bricoop

This video potentially sums up why so many US built Dakar vehicles have cooling issues. US builders do not typically build vehicles with enough cooling capacity to cool an engine solely from cooling fans (no additional air pressure) with an engine continually at full or near full load so when it becomes necessary, they may easily miss the mark the first time out. These dunes as shown in this video will definitely put a strain on any cooling system.
I think I read somewhere a closed system is what is causing the issues, but I could be mistaken. That and fuel quality.

Bricoop

I was just curious about the elevation changes over today and tomorrow.

The Biv today is around 7600 Ft above sea level. Today started around sea level and then it looks like the climb was on the transfer after the stage.

Tomorrow's and the rest day Biv will be at least 12,000 ft. The Altiplano elevation is closer to 14,000 ft., so depending on where the Biv is located it could be that high. So at least they have one night to get slightly acclimated to the high altitude. La Paz is unbelievable easy to get winded in. I was used to 5,000 ft and every time I went there I could tell a difference.

Coca tea is your friend at that elevation. It helps with altitude sickness and keeps you wide awake. The locals chew the leaves, kind of like Americans chew tobacco.
In Mexico city 2 weeks ago I could immediately feel the altitude. I can only imagine doubling that. 7600 ft is 0.75 atmospheres, 14000 is .59 atmospheres...A lot less O2 at that level.

I was just curious about the elevation changes over today and tomorrow.

The Biv today is around 7600 Ft above sea level. Today started around sea level and then it looks like the climb was on the transfer after the stage.

Tomorrow's and the rest day Biv will be at least 12,000 ft. The Altiplano elevation is closer to 14,000 ft., so depending on where the Biv is located it could be that high. So at least they have one night to get slightly acclimated to the high altitude. La Paz is unbelievable easy to get winded in. I was used to 5,000 ft and every time I went there I could tell a difference.

Coca tea is your friend at that elevation. It helps with altitude sickness and keeps you wide awake. The locals chew the leaves, kind of like Americans chew tobacco.
Can confirm, right @Dirty Harry ?
dakar-2016-race-dezert-3128.jpg
_DSC2957.jpg
12418867_1074306969256930_6122061562286386192_o.jpg

Yumaoffroad

no wrc stages no winning for minis and pugs would have loved to see bryce stuck at the dunes but he yardsaled it on stage 2

vegasloki

Otherwise it's like watching F1 - who has the biggest cheque book (check book to you fellas).
For all you kids following along a check book is like an analog debit card from the olden days...

F1 has been pretty bad about a few of the big spenders dominating and the governance structure largely supporting that. With new owners of the commercial rights (something like a promoter) they're looking to change that. What makes it worse in F1 is the purse structure is such that a few of the top teams get a much bigger chunk of the money regardless of how well they do.

mrlentle

vegasloki said:
For all you kids following along a check book is like an analog debit card from the olden days...

F1 has been pretty bad about a few of the big spenders dominating and the governance structure largely supporting that. With new owners of the commercial rights (something like a promoter) they're looking to change that. What makes it worse in F1 is the purse structure is such that a few of the top teams get a much bigger chunk of the money regardless of how well they do.
:D

To be honest, I haven't watched in quite some time. I sometimes watch the really old stuff on Youtube though. Those boys from the old times were legends and totally fearless!

Bricoop

I agree. Btw, I’m setting up a free fantasy f1 league for RDC. I’ll post about it in pavement later.

Chris Tobin

Daniel Elena reported fracture of the coccyx, that's why Loeb had to quit the race...
How did he break his tailbone??? The news I've seen so far seems to indicate that he jut hurt trying to get the car unstuck... Did he get hit or run over when trying to get the car unstuck????

mrlentle

How did he break his tailbone??? The news I've seen so far seems to indicate that he jut hurt trying to get the car unstuck... Did he get hit or run over when trying to get the car unstuck????
I was under the impression it was from going splat into the crater while in the car - could be wrong though?

michael_loomis

They said his sternum and he is favoring his chest in one of the videos.. but it does make sense about anything over 30km I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk