• Forum membership has its advantages....

Dakar '18 -Stage 6- Arequipa > La Paz

spalind

No bikes today...and only 64 cars made today's start!

Sainz in 1st at ASS1 by near 2 minutes over Peterhansel

NAAT 2 minutes back and Devilliers about 3 back

That's not going to do it boys...

BANNED4LIFE

andrew short??? whats up #54.......no times....

spalind

That is a HUGE list for only the 5th day!!! Is this year that hard, or are drivers/teams being careless with their builds and risks on the course???
I think its some of both but more that its that hard...all the quotes have said its ridiculously hard this year vs. all the kvetching in prior years about it being too easy...can't make anyone happy, ever....typical racers.

Honda48X

I have been several time to Juliaca, Puno and El Alto supporting Boeing 787 Flight Testing and the altitude there is crazy. The Airport is right around 13,000 feet. Very hard to breath for the racers unless they have their red blood cell count up. They should have started taking pills to increase it or have blood transfusions. Most of the visitors that were at the Hotel I stayed at used O2 nasal cannula.

Bricoop

I have been several time to Juliaca, Puno and El Alto supporting Boeing 787 Flight Testing and the altitude there is crazy. The Airport is right around 13,000 feet. Very hard to breath for the racers unless they have their red blood cell count up. They should have started taking pills to increase it or have blood transfusions. Most of the visitors that were at the Hotel I stayed at used O2 nasal cannula.
Cool, totally different landing a plane at that altitude too!

TMorford

Anyone have split times yet or is it too early? Curious to see how bad the Toyotas etc struggle in the altitude this year.

michael_loomis

I think its some of both but more that its that hard...all the quotes have said its ridiculously hard this year vs. all the kvetching in prior years about it being too easy...can't make anyone happy, ever....typical racers.
I think it’s because the drivers aren’t the brightest.

I mean.. look at the angle he’s pulling on the strap. In the video, he’s physically tugging on it. Lol.

Just like the one that got yanked all the way down the dunes.

IMG_9248.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDDurfey

I have flown in and out of that airport in a 727 as a passenger. The runway is unbelievably long and it takes forever to get off the ground. It is the highest International airport in the world. Many people were taking oxygen in the plane and terminal every time I was there.

The city of La Paz sits in a bit of a crater off the side of the Altiplano and the elevation is slightly lower than the airport.

mrlentle

I think it’s because the drivers aren’t the brightest.

I mean.. look at the angle he’s pulling on the strap. In the video, he’s physically tugging on it. Lol.

Just like the one that got yanked all the way down the dunes.

View attachment 188242

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike - any good fisherman will tug on his line from time to time to see if he's got a bite! :D