• Forum membership has its advantages....

Dakar '18 -Stage 8- Uyuni > Tupiza

spalind

Honestly that's fine & all, but the conspiracy theory bits tend to rub me the wrong way; if you will. Heck, I can agree that I was somewhat gleeful when Peterhansel had issues, but was more than willing to accept his victory had circumstances gone that way.

To each their own tho.
Accept and respect? Sure. Like? No.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert mobile app

michael_loomis

Honestly that's fine & all, but the conspiracy theory bits tend to rub me the wrong way; if you will. Heck, I can agree that I was somewhat gleeful when Peterhansel had issues, but was more than willing to accept his victory had circumstances gone that way.

To each their own tho.
Nah.. you don’t say!

It just cracks me up the ASO will push through giant unexpected river crossings, inclement race weather, country protests... but the second their countrymen fall out of favorable position on the podium, uhh.. cancel this race stage, it’s going to be too wet to work on the cars overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirty Harry

It just cracks me up the ASO will push through giant unexpected river crossings, inclement race weather, country protests... but the second their countrymen fall out of favorable position on the podium, uhh.. cancel this race stage, it’s going to be too wet to work on the cars overnight.
Actually it gives Peterhansel one less stage to make up time. It is that Spaniard Marc Coma looking out for Carlos Sainz I tell you!

mxenr

Possible sanction for Carlos Sainz for alleged unsportsmanlike conduct

As reported by Paco Grande, correspondent of TVE that covers the Dakar, Carlos Sainz and Stephane Peterhansel face a possible penalty. Presumably, and as denounced by the Dutchman who participates in the category of quads Kees Koolen in five folios, one of the two Peugeot pilots hit him, the other did not attend him, same attitude taken by Yazeed Al-Rajhi - already retired and of the MINI team-.

It should be remembered that Sainz is leading this Dakar 2018 at 1 hour 6 minutes of the second classified, Nasser Al-Attiyah, and 01h 13 '42 "of Peterhansel, the other involved, with only five stages left to complete.

Dirty Harry

Possible sanction for Carlos Sainz for alleged unsportsmanlike conduct

As reported by Paco Grande, correspondent of TVE that covers the Dakar, Carlos Sainz and Stephane Peterhansel face a possible penalty. Presumably, and as denounced by the Dutchman who participates in the category of quads Kees Koolen in five folios, one of the two Peugeot pilots hit him, the other did not attend him, same attitude taken by Yazeed Al-Rajhi - already retired and of the MINI team-.

It should be remembered that Sainz is leading this Dakar 2018 at 1 hour 6 minutes of the second classified, Nasser Al-Attiyah, and 01h 13 '42 "of Peterhansel, the other involved, with only five stages left to complete.
Where did you find this information?

GEO_DXB

for the conspiracy theory fans - from KAMAZ press release:

A bridge was washed off on the road assistance route to Salta (last year there was a landslide at the same location). The fact that not everything is going according to organizers plans became clear yesterday, when the assistance teams arrived at the bivouac in Tupiza and were not allowed into its territory. Strong downpour turned the fenced area into a swamp. By morning the ground was dry enough, but the rain could start at any moment, and then the transport that arrived would be trapped without having the opportunity to leave. As a result, the assistance teams lined up in a huge queue along one of the roads or began to put their service areas near the race HQ. Assistance teams could not leave Salta right away because border formalities were organized on the bivouac and most importantly it was necessary to meet racers in Tupiza after the marathon stage of La Paz-Uyuni-Tupiza.
"I think the decision of the organizers to cancel the upcoming stage is the only correct one in this situation. The weather conditions are really difficult, a bridge is gone on the assistance route and they cant risk the safety of rally participants in any case. Plus, after the marathon stage, all will need maintenance of their vehicles, and the need for formalities crossing the border with Argentina. From the experience of the Silk Way rally we know that in such situations it is necessary to prevent the sport from becoming a torture, "commented the head of the KAMAZ-Master team Vladimir Chagin.

mxenr

About the incident: Sainz spoke with Fox and he said that he remembers the incident in a neighborhood, they both found themselves there and the matador made a maneuver to dodge it, even though it happened very close to him but he did not touch him, for his part Kees was frightened and tb wanted to do a maneuver and as he was stuck he fell

GEO_DXB

About the incident: Sainz spoke with Fox and he said that he remembers the incident in a neighborhood, they both found themselves there and the matador made a maneuver to dodge it, even though it happened very close to him but he did not touch him, for his part Kees was frightened and tb wanted to do a maneuver and as he was stuck he fell
so Kees only reported the accident or protested?

spalind

No shot they penalize Sainz much....maybe a few minutes to bring him back within easy distance of SPH??

mrlentle

No shot they penalize Sainz much....maybe a few minutes to bring him back within easy distance of SPH??
I'm not sure he should be penalised - based on mxenr post there wasn't actually any contact and Kell fell rather than was hit? Maybe there's more to it?

GEO_DXB

I'm not sure he should be penalised - based on mxenr post there wasn't actually any contact and Kell fell rather than was hit? Maybe there's more to it?
Why? You mean to say Koolen is somehow benefiting? I dont see how. He needs no sponsors and no benefits - he was behind booking.com, was with google, agoda, now with EQT partners. I have met him a few times - he is very affluent so to say. Venture capital, investments, agriculture holdings.