• Forum membership has its advantages....

Dakar '18 -Stage 8- Uyuni > Tupiza

Actually it gives Peterhansel one less stage to make up time. It is that Spaniard Marc Coma looking out for Carlos Sainz I tell you!
I was referring to Peugeot, who can no longer finish 1/2/3... but can still pull of an impressive 1/2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RGFan

Well, with no seen impact marks to either car or quad as per CS, it will be interesting to see what happens. If they do in fact penalize him significantly (1 hour or more), folks will have their answer in regards to the "French bias".

mrlentle

Why? You mean to say Koolen is somehow benefiting? I dont see how. He needs no sponsors and no benefits - he was behind booking.com, was with google, agoda, now with EQT partners. I have met him a few times - he is very affluent so to say. Venture capital, investments, agriculture holdings.
No, you misunderstand me. Mxener's post reads as if there wasn't any actual accident and that Koolen fell off from a close call (technically still an accident but we'll see). The way I understand it, he would have had to have been in physical danger for CS to have to stop (correct me if I'm wrong here). I'm not saying it's morally right, I'm saying the way it's been explained seems to be Koolen is upset, not injured and in physical danger or injured which seems to be how the rules are based. I certainly wasn't saying Koolen had anything to gain.

EDIT: Looks like we don't know the whole story yet (just seen Mxener's reply re Koolen actually was hit). I'll wait until there's more facts posted.

SteveRacer

I feel they need to be more harsh with the penalties for hitting quads and bikes. There doesn't need to be this he said/ she said after an incident. If you have a close call with a rider and they go down, you need to stop and make sure they are ok. They seem to be generous with giving time back when helping another competitor so there is no excuse for not helping.

GEO_DXB

Excited enough to have a look through Belgian commercial registers, no mention of Koolen obviosuly, but financials are real interesting to go through. 10 Mil Euro sales last year, assets vs. debts almost equal.

Bricoop

I feel they need to be more harsh with the penalties for hitting quads and bikes. There doesn't need to be this he said/ she said after an incident. If you have a close call with a rider and they go down, you need to stop and make sure they are ok. They seem to be generous with giving time back when helping another competitor so there is no excuse for not helping.
Penalties available to them include a full DQ. This seems to be one of the very judgmental penalties the ASO has at its disposal.

GEO_DXB

10 minute penalty for Carlos
not even a slap on the wrist. ASO walking on some thin ice - by giving out the penalty they confirm there was an incident. By minimizing the penalty they try not to make Peugeot unhappy and not to intervene much with current standings and affect the race. Balancing between Pugs and Overdrive/Toyota? Not looks like. Again, smth I only heard and cannot confirm independently is that Jean Marc Fortin of Overdrive has influence within FIA, but by the looks of it ASO is another story for him.

Bricoop

WAFJ!? Here's some penalties that have larger consequences than striking a rider and failing to provide aide:

-Refusing to be overtaken 15 minutes
-Service by a non-accredited individual 3 hours
-Refusing to start at your allotted position 15 minutes
-Cutting a corner through a field, forest, or orchard 15 minutes

Bricoop

Well, with no seen impact marks to either car or quad as per CS, it will be interesting to see what happens. If they do in fact penalize him significantly (1 hour or more), folks will have their answer in regards to the "French bias".
Does a 10 minute penalty on a guy with over a hour lead allow us to come to a conclusion with this French Bias?

Peugeot is NOT happy about this, and looks to be appealing it.

Oh boy...

spalind

Does a 10 minute penalty on a guy with over a hour lead allow us to come to a conclusion with this French Bias?
Nope...Its hard...I agree the penalty is really light...then again without further evidence its hard to wack him a massive amount of time and be seen as handing someone else the race given the lack of clear evidence of an impact.

That said...Peugeot should keep their traps shut and accept this with a smile. Their drivers have a history of this.