• Forum membership has its advantages....

Dakar '18 -Stage 8- Uyuni > Tupiza

mrlentle

WAFJ!? Here's some penalties that have larger consequences than striking a rider and failing to provide aide:

-Refusing to be overtaken 15 minutes
-Service by a non-accredited individual 3 hours
-Refusing to start at your allotted position 15 minutes
-Cutting a corner through a field, forest, or orchard 15 minutes
Not entirely true. Maximum penalty for the crime is DQ I believe? CS didn't receive that I'm assuming due to the lack of severity of the crime. I'm not saying the penalty is right but I am saying there's 2 sides to this story. CS claiming zero damage to either vehicle etc. As someone else said - bring out the onboard footage!

Bricoop

Not entirely true. Maximum penalty for the crime is DQ I believe? CS didn't receive that I'm assuming due to the lack of severity of the crime. I'm not saying the penalty is right but I am saying there's 2 sides to this story. CS claiming zero damage to either vehicle etc. As someone else said - bring out the onboard footage!
There's a misunderstanding as to my point. My point is that they can make the penalty as severe as they wish, but instead of doing that they apply a penalty that will have zero repercussions to those at fault.. If you go look at the SPH no-call from a few years back, 2012 I believe, there is no damage to the bike or the car but he clearly hit him. Looking at this in comparison to other safety related penalties, this is nothing and clearly shows bias. Something happened or they wouldn't have applied any penalty. He either hit him or he didn't. The real crime isn't the collision, its not stopping to administer aid. I'd think there is nobody satisfied with this. If I were the quad driver, I'd be livid at this penalty. If I were Sainz and truly believed I didn't make contact with anyone, I would also be pissed.

SteveRacer

This Monday, at the Dakar camp in Salta, Koolen held his version during an interview with Fox Sports: "If you almost kill someone, 10 minutes of punishment is ridicule."

"I saw that it came at a lot of speed, which I found striking because of the type of territory we were in, all muddy," he explained.

"He hit me, I had to fix the Quad, he did not stop to ask if I needed anything, neither he nor anyone on his team was in charge of asking me if I was okay," he added.

Kees Koolen sobre Carlos Sainz: “Si casi matas a alguien, 10 minutos de sanción es ridículo, deberían desclasificarlo” | KM1

WillG

This Monday, at the Dakar camp in Salta, Koolen held his version during an interview with Fox Sports: "If you almost kill someone, 10 minutes of punishment is ridicule."

"I saw that it came at a lot of speed, which I found striking because of the type of territory we were in, all muddy," he explained.

"He hit me, I had to fix the Quad, he did not stop to ask if I needed anything, neither he nor anyone on his team was in charge of asking me if I was okay," he added.

Kees Koolen sobre Carlos Sainz: “Si casi matas a alguien, 10 minutos de sanción es ridículo, deberían desclasificarlo” | KM1
Has any evidence come to light yet of any damage to either the quad or Sainz’s car?

mrlentle

Has any evidence come to light yet of any damage to either the quad or Sainz’s car?
CS claimed no damage to either vehicle. Interesting that Koolen says he had to repair the quad but finished 30 minutes behind the lead quad which is semi consistent with his other stage performances. More info required otherwise we can argue at sideline central all day!

BANNED4LIFE

passing bikes and quads is always sketchy, .....in my experience the close calls are the fault of the handlebar guys, i dont know the FACTS of this case, but it sounds like the quad pulled off the course to let carlos by THEN lost control and swerved back infront/into him......probably was contact but organizers didnt deem it actually carlos "fault", so gave a minor time penalty.....maybe guy hit side of the pug and carlos really didnt think it was contact......without vid anything is possible......its all speculation from pug haters and pug lovers....

blue dog

If it was RG instead of CS, the penalty would have been more severe guaranteed.

You need to be French, or be in a French vehicle to receive slaps on the wrist, all others will hang.

Maybe the contact was so slight, that CS truly believes he didn’t hit him. There is incar... but even that could be inconclusive. Maybe the rear of the car knocked the bars out of alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirty Harry

The guy LEADING the race came up on a guy who is out for an adventure ride on his quad with "a lot of speed"? Imagine that...

I would guess that the guys opening the course probably make 20 sketchy passes on bikes and quads each day.

mattb

If you come up on slower traffic, in sloppy/muddy conditions where you may have issues with steering or braking, then you should travel at a speed that is safe and in control. I think 10 minutes is pretty pathetic for someone who appears to have been setting themselves and the opposing rider up for a potential issue. .

Dirty Harry

If you come up on slower traffic, in sloppy/muddy conditions where you may have issues with steering or braking, then you should travel at a speed that is safe and in control. I think 10 minutes is pretty pathetic for someone who appears to have been setting themselves and the opposing rider up for a potential issue. .
Or maybe you keep the momentum up in your 2WD vehicle to avoid getting stuck in the sloppy/muddy conditions.

GEO_DXB

From Orlando Terranova:

"Kees Koolen is a shareholder of Toyota Overdrive, an eye that may have crossed interests in that report. @Csainz_oficial should not be penalized"
comes from someone who's co-driver left during the event because Orly was terrorizing bike riders... And who didnt have much success with Yota. more popcorn nom nom nom. I'd rather have cookies for the cookie monster

mrlentle

I was napping when I heard someone say nutter butter.

I am almost as excited for racing to resume tomorrow as Leo is for cookies.

How about those Coronel Bros ? They seemed to hold there own on the 2 day special stages with no support. I really hope they finish. View attachment 188435
Leo needs another rest day!

Coronels doing well - I expected them to share the driving but looks like Tim has done it all so far? Looks like they've found their mojo and having a blast. In a night video you can see the reflection of the warning lights on the dash flashing (like RG's when he had oil pressure woes). Hopefully it was nothing serious.

mrlentle

Malle Moto maniac Lyndon Poskitt. Another great YouTube presence. 1200km travel in a day between stage 8 and transit sections and the extra link travel due to stage 9 bring canned. Mental!

Last edited: